Drabblecast 094 - Squidges

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics

Squidges?

I have serious squidge problems myself.
31%
Squidge conservation now!
31%
Mmm... Tasty.
38%

Total votes: 16

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a happy panda. I mean, they have their expressions painted on. Who knows what they are really thinking and feeling?

Listen to the Black and White Animals to find out!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:19 am

I actually did just listen to B&W trilogy again on my long ass drive from Baltimore, because I'm just that narcissistic. Where's our stinkin pulitzer?!

Happy Bday ZaCKa!!! (and Jesus)

Sorry for delay this week: new computer, then data transfer, then had to slay a manticore, busy time of the year. Will be worth the wait I think though.

Squidges... so the only thing I would have done diff is maybe kept the ambiguity going about the possibility of there being a strange species of oil-devouring critters all this time. I thought the dunesteef guys did a great job. By the way, if you wanna hear me read a Xmas story on their podcast, check them out this week. It's David Sedaris meets Kevin Anderson. (sorry Kevin) :twisted:
"Give us all some Jelly"

Wonko

Post by Wonko » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:00 am

Okay, I got delayed with listening to this, so now all I can say is that that drabble was near-perfect. :wink:

Also: I enjoyed the Dunesteef people's reading and am now intrigued very much by the prospect of invisible engine parasites.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Twitter::Facebook

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:32 pm

normsherman wrote:Happy Bday ZaCKa!!! (and Jesus)
A belated Thank You, n0rm!!! (and Jesus).
I want to thank my mom and my dad, for giving me that first impulse to start living. I want to thank my mother's gynaecologist for stimulating her uterus for a rapid birth (because he didn't want to be at the hospital on X-mas Day). I want to thank myself for paying no attention to the stimulation and staying where I was floating until it was X-mas Day and Jesus came to tell me it was time to MOVE, damn it.
normsherman wrote:Sorry for delay this week: new computer, then data transfer, then had to slay a manticore, busy time of the year. Will be worth the wait I think though.
I always wanted to know: do those manticores really help speed up your computer, or is that just a myth? (sorry Kevin)
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:12 pm

zZzacha wrote: I always wanted to know: do those manticores really help speed up your computer, or is that just a myth? (sorry Kevin)
No, that's duel/quad core. Manticores are the computer equivalent of squidges.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:46 am

This was a fun story, and I can’t think of it playing on any other podcast. I really enjoyed the description of the Brothers, and I think I met those guys several years ago when I broke down just outside of a one gas station town in the Ozarks.

Great production, and nice podcast talent swapping.
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

LajesticVantrashellofLob

Post by LajesticVantrashellofLob » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:27 pm

I wasn't as impressed as I usually am by the drabblecast, but this wasn't a bad story. I thought the production was a bit over the top at times, but the narration was spot-on. The story just wasn't as weird as I'm used to the drabblecast being... A guy gets ripped off buy some auto-repair guys. So what? No explosions? No radioactive beasts? No aliens? No butt humor? It just wasn't "drabble-y" enough for me (of course that's a word).
Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules. Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.

You're always the hero in your own story - life is about not being the villain in anyone else's.

JEJoll

Re:

Post by JEJoll » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:52 am

I just saw that this was the oldest post, so I thought I'd bring it back.
I actually remember listening to this some months ago after I started my Drabblecast crusade with The Coughing Dog.
The character voices were great, among some of the best I've heard on the Drabblecast, and I'm currently on about episode 170. Still have yet to check out the Dunesteef. Gonna have to remind myself to do that.
LajesticVantrashellofLob wrote:I wasn't as impressed as I usually am by the drabblecast, but this wasn't a bad story. I thought the production was a bit over the top at times, but the narration was spot-on. The story just wasn't as weird as I'm used to the drabblecast being... A guy gets ripped off buy some auto-repair guys. So what? No explosions? No radioactive beasts? No aliens? No butt humor? It just wasn't "drabble-y" enough for me (of course that's a word).
But was he ripped off? I think you may have missed the point of the story.
Throughout the story it seems as though the brothers are performing a much honed 'act' in an attempt to rip off a customer who knows little about automotive mechanics. Near the end of the story, perhaps the last sentence, the protagonist says that his car is running good as new (I'm paraphrasing), thus creating the possibility that there were indeed squidges and the brothers did indeed get rid of them.

I will, however, agree that this is a bit on the 'normal' side of The Drabblecast, but I still think it belongs here.
"I'm nobody
I'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo
I'm a boxcar and a jug of wine
And a straight razor ...if you get too close to me"