Classics 15 (EP 206) - Creature

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Classics 15 (EP 206) - Creature

Post by StalinSays » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:17 am

Update (Monday, January 19th, 2015): Drabbleclassics 15 - Creature
Feature: Creature by Ramsey Shehadeh
Drabble: The End of the World by C.S. DeFrance
Genres: Drabbleclassics Fantasy Horror
Original Episode: 206

Tuesday, May 31st, 2011
And so came Creature out of the wasteland and into the city, bouncing from hilltop to hilltop like a bulbous ballerina skipping across the knuckles of a great hand. He was big as the moon and black as the night, and he came crashing into the city like a silent meteor. The cityfolk watched his approach with wide eyes and open mouths, and then scattered like leaves...

Episode Art: Philippa Jones
Originally published in Weird Tales #349, March/April 2008.

Twabble: “ Prepare your souls the men and women of earth. All will be judged by his curving claw of might. Beware the Velocirapture! ” by Cranialwrench
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It's now a classic!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Re: Drabblecast 206 - Creature

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Nice dedication.

That was a good story. There was no plot, but the character interaction was enough to make it a good story. The scoring and the narration made it an excellent podcast.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

DannyMasa

Post by DannyMasa » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:30 pm

I loved all the atmosphere and mood in the story, and the scoring has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't say there's *no* plot, but the events themselves take a back seat to the setting, which is well-done.
I think this may have been the best Drabblecast story since "Teddy Bears and Tea Parties" (my all-time fave). I originally came to Drabblecast from EP, and it really goes to show how much of a difference *production* makes.
I love the Drabblecast! Thanks, Norm Sherman!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:08 am

Welcome to the forums, Danny!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Seraph

Post by Seraph » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:19 am

Freaking amazing all round. Amazingly scary post-apoc world with some great ideas in it. Norm really knocked the reading out of the park, and the music / sfx added some fantastic atmosphere. Loved it when I heard it first on Pod-Castle, only got better second time through.

puggydad

Post by puggydad » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:41 am

Awesome story and great music. Got to know what that song is PLZ, at the beginning of the story.

cranialwrench

Post by cranialwrench » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:51 am

Really enjoyed the story! Creature was a fascinating character and would like to hear more about him (it?)!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:55 am

<commented redacted to due a deceptive soul that is blacker than I had imagined possible...>
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:54 pm

Very good story, great atmosphere, and I have to agree with Norm's statement about the contrasting emotions making for a nice shade of brown. It is fun to love a monster who struggles with his inner demons while helping a lost little girl, even if some jerks need to get squished up real good along the way.

The only thing that bugged me about this story was the half-hearted attempt to explain creature's origin. His parents were human? Or one was half-human? Given that creature wasn't even remotely close to being human himself, what with the shape shifting, mind-reading, and the apparent ability to turn himself into a liquid, I wasn't buying that he was born to a human mother, and found that part of the story distracting.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:34 pm

It's easy if you imagine that the consciousness was simply imparted to the placenta instead of the fetus.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

HR_Duff_n_Stuff

Post by HR_Duff_n_Stuff » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:54 pm

I think it's no great surprise Creature appears to be a personality-bonded sibling of Norm, going all the way back to their formative days back in the same gestation pod. ( I also suspect he is now optioning the rights to get Creature in on the next MegaBeast Death Match ) I enjoy the trope of the kind-spirited, fearsome-appearing other trying to stay composed, even as the pitchforks and torches come out again. The post-apocalyptic landscape would have fit in well with some classics like Keith Robert's The Chalk Giants. An excellent reading.

ahutson

Post by ahutson » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:56 am

That would be "A Warm Place" by Nine Inch Nails. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1vxJb6MQ34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
puggydad wrote:Awesome story and great music. Got to know what that song is PLZ, at the beginning of the story.

shagin

Post by shagin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:51 am

Loved Norm's original reading on Pod Castle, loved this version with the music as well. Kudos, sir!

shagin

cinnamon

Post by cinnamon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:23 am

This was really just lovely. Melancholy without being maudlin. Beautiful!
Mush, Baby!

StalinSays
Beast-Master

Post by StalinSays » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:31 am

HR_Duff_n_Stuff wrote:( I also suspect he is now optioning the rights to get Creature in on the next MegaBeast Death Match )
Yee Gads, he would be tough to beat. But fun to draw. And hey, if I ran out of time, I could just paint-bucket-tool a black screen, and be like 'there, done.'

And seconding the appreciation for the dedication.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:47 am

I always liked this story, even if I find the backstory infodump to be kind of out of place. Creature's combination of whimsy and menace reminds me of the best children's entertainment I've seen.

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:41 pm

I still love this story. I want Creature to be my friend too! Scattercat said it well, a "combination of whimsy and menace".

noctem93

Post by noctem93 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:13 am

I just got around to listening to this today. I LOVED it. I was transported to the wastelands, it felt like I was one of the semaphore crows looking down and watching the tale unfold.

And of course Norm's narration and choice of background ambiance made it all the better. This is going to be in my top 5 podcast stories for some time.
<<<insert pithy signature comment here>>>

Djinndustries

Post by Djinndustries » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:31 pm

Really excellent writing and Norm's ability to convey Creature's quizzical cock of the head and not-really-human nature really shone through. Word choice and cadence to the whole thing were wonderful.

But why Tourette's crabs when everything else was so well described, creepy, odd, and everything else?Tourette's can stay back in the pre-apocalyptic world and out of my nice atmospheric story, thanks. Semaphore ravens aren't so disruptive. They can stay.

Djinndustries

Post by Djinndustries » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:00 pm

Creature for People's Choice 2011!

I'm struggling between this one and Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era, but I figured I'd bring these stories to the front of people's minds in preparation for the People's Choice Contest.

I figure there are a few real contenders

Love in the Pneumatic Tube Era - I love this story, it's so sweet without being cloying and it's got a happy ending without being too contrived (although riding a truck like a sheep is a bit deus ex machina, I guess)
Creature - Engaging, interesting, imagery is overwhelming, full of pathos, really a solid story (except for the Tourette's crabs). I know you shouldn't rate the story just based on its production, but the choice of music and the reading in this one were really top notch.
At the End of the Hall - Excellent story with poignancy and humor and giant death robots. Maybe not accessible to those under 30 as they haven't yet quite cottoned on to their mortality. This one, too, had an excellent reader and music.
The Wish of the Demon Achtromagk - Reverse horror story with teddy bears and eldritch horrors. Creative, but not particularly elegantly written.
The Year of the Rabbit - Creepy and foreboding. May turn off the more upbeat audience members.
The Star - Reaching for that crushing vista that "The Last Question" gives but without the pure polish of Asimov