Drabblecast 100 - Trifecta VI

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Drabblecast 100 - Trifecta VI

Post by Kevin Anderson » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:10 pm

Drabblecast 100- Trifecta VI

Cork Ringtone and the Break Dancing Pig
by Mel Bosworth
Read by Alasdair Stuart

Gerri's Sounds
by Michelle Howarth
Read by Mr. FNH

Cupid, Playing
by Ken Goldman
Read by Norm Sherman

Music by Gringo Motel and Curt SIffert

Drabblecast 2nd Annual People's Choice Award
Nominate A Flash Fiction Story | Nominate a Drabble

Pseudopod | Cthulhu Podcast
"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion"

Facebook | Web Site | Night of the Living Trekkies | Book Trailer

Meefcakes

Oy, Oy! Drabblecast 100!

Post by Meefcakes » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:50 pm

Hey Hey!

There's an extra "0" on 100. Intentional? Drabblecast 1000?

Also, I'm not getting the feed. Can't listen to stories. Can't. Listen. To. Stories!

Happy Wednesday!

Meefcakes

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:52 pm

Yeah, I gotta say there's not much to this episode... left me feeling kinda empty.
However, I always have something positive to say, and in this case:
Man, that's one kickass design for the new Bluetooth.

While we're waiting on St. Tom, cellphone Popcorn, anyone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEl7QqoPH9c
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:24 pm

Oops, sorry bout that. Don't know what happened there, but had to wait for lunch break to fix. Should be good to go now.
"Give us all some Jelly"

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:45 pm

AGHHH! Who changed the picture?!!!

Spoiler:

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:58 pm

strawman wrote:AGHHH! Who changed the picture?!!!
Sorry Strawman. It was me. The shell thing must have been a temporary place holder. I don't know why DC went with this pic, it's totally broken. You can see a huge crack in it.

Tweedy, if you can find a better one, one that's not promoting crack, please change it.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:02 pm

I'm still not getting the podcast in my iTunes feed.

:(
Advertise in this space!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:22 pm

Might take a few, seems to be hitting
"Give us all some Jelly"

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Okay, it's 1 PM EST here and the podcast is up (although I still want my bluetooth picture back).
But now that we have a story:
Excellent Trifecta. Cork Ringtone was slightly impeded by inability to understand all the words, but otherwise a straightforward meld of Mayberry RFD and Hitchhiker's Guide. The UFO at the end might have been gilding the lily, but in tough times, I don't object to throwing a little work the lilygilders' way.
Gerri's Sounds was probably, next to Adam's Morton, my nominee for the DC's most UNRELENTING story. I mean, if you think you may ever seriously consider suicide, save this one for the soundtrack.
Playing Cupid was a truly twisted tale, (and I mean that on several levels).
I really liked the poetic/romantic/traditional Cupid narrative about falling in love. It was so poetic, and narrated so lovingly. So I felt like I was being brain-raped when Cupid suddenly turned into PsychoJason. By Jove, isn't even paganism sacred anymore?

Spoiler:

Raving_Lunatic

Drabblecast 100

Post by Raving_Lunatic » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:19 pm

I thought, originally, that this was a hilarious joke. I expected no less from you lovely folks at the drabblecast.

My warped thought process went like this:

"FTW! This isn't drabblecast!"

smarter part of brain:

"Ah, but you see this is merely a joke about the huge hype and expectations surrounding 100th episodes which Norm and the others have cleverly utilized by releasing a three second meaningless video clip. In a way, it summarizes life- fleeting, mysterious and ultimately disappointing."

dumber part of brain:

"Go home, you lonely man."

Smarter part of brain:

"I am home. I haven't left the house in six months."

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:31 pm

This was a winner. My favorite was Cork Ringtone, but the other two were great also.
Cork was just chock full of fun. With that title I had no idea what to expect, and I got something with monkeys, jesus holding up a liquor store and god being an alien. Well done.
I thought Gerri's Sounds stood out in production and narration. Simple, very short story that did a great job of putting me in a terrible place for a few minutes. Agree with strawman, relentless is the word. This story was a perfect match for Drabblecast because of the reliance on sound imagery (thus sound effects).
Cupid I pretty much saw coming after a minute or two. There was just something too cheesy about it. I wasn't counting on Cupid really being a jeep driving, coffee drinking psychopath in his underwear though. Gory and fun.

Meefcakes

Post by Meefcakes » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:45 pm

Excellent recovery and excellent stories. Good times on a snowy day.

Drabblecast puts hair on my chest. I am a man!

Thank you, Drabblecast!

Great work!

Meefcakes

tastycakes

Post by tastycakes » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:40 am

For those of you using iTunes: You might have to choose the "update podcast" option before your weekly DC episode loads. Mine wasn't until I updated, but at least its an easy fix.
One day he will look into what a ‘stigmata’ really is; for now, it is his trump card for getting out of work. He simply says ‘stigmata’ and they say ‘shit, hope you feel better soon.’ End of story.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:22 am

That didn't work for me because I'd already downloaded the "blank." I had to go to the Drabblecast in the iTunes store and click "download episode" in the list.

I liked "Dancing Pig" just because it was so random and offbeat. I especially liked the bit about "Give me all your monkey." Cork is saved from prison by his bad handwriting. Fun, but disposable. The narrator's accent went well with the sarcastic dialog.

"Sounds" was the opposite: Horrible, but disposable. The descriptions and the production were very creepy, but only until the credits rolled. It's lack of impact was due, I think, to the shallow protagonist. He does nothing but suffer, hence he's hard to empathize with. Maybe if he had a pet rat or something. Perhaps he has lived in the dungeon his whole life and doesn't know how bad off he is? Both were good while they lasted, but only while.

W00t for FNH!

"Cupid" is now my official least-favorite Drabblecast story. To me, it epitomizes the slasher genre in that it's essentially a "joke" where the punch line is helpless and innocent persons being murdered for no reason, LOL. Nasty. Being a typical slasher story (crazy man kills hot young couple for no reason) it was also pretty cliché.

Congratulations on 100 episodes! I'm glad you guys have stuck with this and pulled it off so successfully. This is seriously one of the best pieces of serialized media ever, IMO. Glad to hear you're in the black. There must be some way to get actual profits... You've certainly got quality material.
Advertise in this space!

Kevin Anderson
Forums Czar

Post by Kevin Anderson » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:04 pm

Congratulations to the Drabblecast on their 100th episode. To be honest, after hearing episode 23, I’d of bet good money, well maybe Canadian money, that the drabblescast was doomed. But you’ve raised the bar since then, and brought in some outstanding authors – Mike Resnick, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Eugie Foster - and managed to keep this a great market for new and not yet published authors. Well done, and may the drabblecast Live Long and Prosper. Nanu Nanu.

I think the 100th episode was one of the better tri-fectas. After thinking about the stories for a day or so, I really felt they were all connected in some way, and not put together at random. For me there was a theme, weaving its way throughout the three, and it seemed spiritual and religious. At the very least, god was mentioned in all three stories, which seemed much more than a coincidence.

Cork Ringtone and the Break Dancing Pig was funny and well read. It reminded me of a Seinfeld episode, with Kramer as JC, and everything coming together at the end. And wouldn’t this be a better world if more cops took up break dancing. Instead of busting heads, they could busta’ move.

Gerri's Sounds just emotionally put me in the middle of The Inquisition. I know it wasn’t a story about the Inquisition, it just mentally transported me there. Which is odd because when I usually reflect on the Inquisitions, it’s with images of Mel Brooks bustin’ a move, and well choreographed synchronized swimmers. But Gerri’s Sound had that Pit and The Pendulum vibe, reminding me how they went about saving souls, old school. Good times, good times.

Cupid, Playing, was twisted, bloody, brutal – I got no complaints. When I go to pay tribute this year at the alter of Saint Valentine, by spending $80 on a bouquet of roses (the same roses that usually cost $32.99 every other part of the year) the memory of this story will give me a little grin, just about the time the flouriest ask me if I want Baby's-breath with my $80 roses. Sure, I’ll say, grinning. What’s another 4 bucks?

Okay – old man rant over. Anyway, Cupid Playing was very well written, and if you want to hear another twisted K. Goldman story, Check out Fat Larry’s Night With The Alligators. I think its one of the best stories over at Well Told Tales.

http://welltoldtales.com/2008/02/01/fat ... lligators/

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:32 am

Congratulations Drabblecast!

Thanks for the shout outs, even though Josh seemed a little picky this week. Must be the cold. :D

I'm not quite sure why you still do the Drabblecast, you must get some perverse pleasure out of it. I don't see how you put together an episode a week, let alone still seem chipper.

Great Trifecta! Good stuff.

1st story: What? Huh? And why am I smiling?

2nd story intro: Big laugh- little touches like that are golden.

2nd story: Sick production. I mean that in the good and the bad sense. Really intense, but short enough to make it good.

3rd story: hee hee hee.... Classic.

Mr. Anderson: I remember ep 23 fondly. It is one of the very few horror pieces that I liked. It also proved that the DC can do horror. But THE BEST horror is Pumpkin Seeds.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:06 am

tbaker2500 wrote: Mr. Anderson: I remember ep 23 fondly. It is one of the very few horror pieces that I liked. It also proved that the DC can do horror. But THE BEST horror is Pumpkin Seeds.
Indeed. I dunno what dat foo talkin bout, EP23/Momentum was prob the first story we had submitted by someone we didn't know that I was really excited about doing. Still one of my favs.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Raving_Lunatic

Post by Raving_Lunatic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:06 pm

Anyway, nice trifecta, and it's nice to be baptised in fire when I post my first real review.

1: What a weird little piece. Exactly what I expected from the drabblecast!
2: Hmm. Didn't like this one so much, but the descriptions certainly let my imagination go to work
3: This made me laugh out loud the first time I heard it.

Is that so bad?

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:49 am

Good stuff this week. The first story was good, I got a few chuckles out of it. Nice change of pace in the second story, it really creeped the hell out of me. Didn't know what to think of the third story. I wanted to laugh but the thought of some young horndogs getting slaughtered in the park kind of put a damper on the whole deal for me.

Talia

Post by Talia » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:29 am

yay 100th episode!

Particularly loved story #1 on the strength of its delicious absurdity.