Drabblecast 100 - Trifecta VI

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
cammoblammo
Member
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 am
Location: Colac, Victoria
Contact:

Post by cammoblammo » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:57 am

Hmm, I enjoyed this one, but I don't know if I'll bother keeping it.

The first story was quite absurd, almost like a Monty Python movie. Alisdair's voice certainly helps the comparison.

I just realised I didn't listen to the second that closely---I had other stuff going on for that five minutes. I do remember thinking the production was rather good, and the sobbing was a good effect.

The third... well, the third was a great story wrecked by the fact that the author forgot to stop at the end. It was great while Cupid was a crossbow wielding cherub, and it became funny when the bolts turned out to be, you know, deadly. When Cupid turned into a crazy man in a jeep, though, the story went from funny to a 'Criminal Minds' rerun.

Right, time to go listen to 'Gerry' again.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3612
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:19 pm

cammoblammo wrote:The third... well, the third was a great story wrecked by the fact that the author forgot to stop at the end. It was great while Cupid was a crossbow wielding cherub, and it became funny when the bolts turned out to be, you know, deadly. When Cupid turned into a crazy man in a jeep, though, the story went from funny to a 'Criminal Minds' rerun.
You know, I felt the same way, until I realized that by not ending when I thought it should, it twisted my brain a bit and made it an even stranger story. I don't know about better, but definitely stranger.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

cammoblammo
Member
Posts: 361
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 am
Location: Colac, Victoria
Contact:

Post by cammoblammo » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:02 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:
cammoblammo wrote:The third... well, the third was a great story wrecked by the fact that the author forgot to stop at the end. It was great while Cupid was a crossbow wielding cherub, and it became funny when the bolts turned out to be, you know, deadly. When Cupid turned into a crazy man in a jeep, though, the story went from funny to a 'Criminal Minds' rerun.
You know, I felt the same way, until I realized that by not ending when I thought it should, it twisted my brain a bit and made it an even stranger story. I don't know about better, but definitely stranger.
I didn't think it made it strange. It just seemed more mundane. Winged babies flying around with murderous intent seem far more drabbly than crazy dude with murderous intent.

It was unexpected though, so it wins on that point.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

User avatar
tbaker2500
Site Admin
Posts: 3612
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Contact:

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:32 pm

Ah, but I'm saying that because it wasn't as drabbly, it was in fact more drabbly, by defeating my expectations of drabblieness.

I clearly have been reading too much Pratchett.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

treeman
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:48 pm

Post by treeman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:55 pm

cammoblammo wrote: I didn't think it made it strange. It just seemed more mundane. Winged babies flying around with murderous intent seem far more drabbly than crazy dude with murderous intent.
I disagree. A large man running around in his underwear with paper wings glued to his back and a crossbow, who actually thinks he's a winged baby, is about as strange and delightful as it gets.

But my favorite of the bunch was Cork Ringtone. Gerri's was a fine tone poem, very macbre, but Cork had that quick, 30Rock kindof quirkiness to it that I love.

AmberMac
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:23 am
Location: Sonoran Desert

Post by AmberMac » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:34 am

the stories were exellent- as always. However I was driven to comment by the EXCELLENT reading by none other then my favorite Escape artists - Escape Pod host Mr. Alasdair Stuart.
seriously- he needs to read aloud. More.
Oh my giddy goodness

User avatar
zZzacha
Member
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:33 pm
Location: Teh Netherlandz
Contact:

Post by zZzacha » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:49 pm

Absolutely Fabulous!
I loved all the stories, but didn't love them all equally (don't tell them, because some might get envious).

Cork: very funny, I grinned and LOL'd, it was very drabblecasty! Alasdair's voice really fit the story well. Nice!

Gerri: very dark and very well produced, nice!

Cupid: creepy little angel. I didn't realise it until I read it here: the ending was much too late in the story. The jeep had me frowning too. From that point, I expected the story to either end in a spectacular unexpected ending or... not. And it didn't.. and it did.

And a happy 100th episode! Keep up the great work, master Norm :)
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Post by strawman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:35 am

Hey, zZzacha, welcome home! Did you enjoy Canada?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
zZzacha
Member
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:33 pm
Location: Teh Netherlandz
Contact:

Post by zZzacha » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:44 am

strawman wrote:Hey, zZzacha, welcome home! Did you enjoy Canada?
It's super weird. Glad to be back! This feels so much better.

Did I miss anything special? Or anything mundane, I wanna know all the gossip.
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

LajesticVantrashellofLob
Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:55 pm
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Episode 100 - Wow!

Post by LajesticVantrashellofLob » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:32 pm

Wow... This Trifecta blew me away! At first I thought it was a tad horror heavy for a podcast that is normally rather, well, "drabble-y", but I think the first story was "drabble-y" enough for the rest of them. I was listening to this in bed, and the dancing cop bit was so surprising that I sat bolt upright - it was that awesomely unexpected.

I don't go out of my way to listen to horror, but I do enjoy stories like the second one when I come across them. At first I thought the character was mentally ill, but the ending twist was simply fantastic - I'll have to listen to this one again with the twist in mind.

I totally predicted the twist in the last story, but that was probably because that's what I wanted to happen, as I'm sick of Valentine's Day :). The story was simply incredible, however, and I don't think the twist was obvious. But when Norm said the last one was to lighten to mood, I somehow knew he was lying... Maybe I am paranoid...

Excellent production across the board, too. I've been listening since "Jelly Park" and I'm looking forward to another 100!
Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules. Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.

You're always the hero in your own story - life is about not being the villain in anyone else's.

User avatar
Poppydragon
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Post by Poppydragon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:16 pm

The first of these just didn't do it for me at all I'm afraid, probably wasn't helped by having the story (in my mind) peopled with characters from the Simpsons. Homer was of course Jesus.

Jerry's Sounds more than made up for it though, brilliantly written and with nigh on perfect production this was spine shivery and nasty, in a good way. Made me think of the killer in the Dexter Books and what he did to his victims. Brilliant!!!!!

Cupid managed to catch me out slightly, although I think that was thanks to the narration rather than the story, if I'd read it I think I'd have seen the twist coming more clearly, as it was it just added up to a good one.

I've got on board now, all caught up from part way through, so will look forward to the next century.

Unblinking
Member
Posts: 377
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:50 am

Re: Drabblecast 100- Trifecta VI

Post by Unblinking » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Gerri's Sounds was very well done, great writing, great production. It had a very Edgar Allen Poe feel to it.

During "Cupid" I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. It seemed way too straightforward for a DC Valentine's story, and then it did and I was satisfied.

Post Reply