Drabblecast 103 - Out of His League

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:05 am

Sheesh, is that ridiculous or what? I guess it'd be legitimate if the doll beheaded someone, but...what is that loony woman thinking the OTHER 23.9 hours of her day?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

bkempins

I'm your moon"

Post by bkempins » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:24 pm

Jonathon Coulton's song "I'm your moon" would have worked well with this story. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3cDdGKqp8E

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:28 am

strawman wrote:Point of Order: You can steal first base if the catcher drops the third strike.
Technically, it is not counted as a stolen base. A strikeout is recorded and either the catcher is charged with a passed ball or the pitcher is charged with a wild pitch. I'm not saying....I'm just saying.

F5iver

Post by F5iver » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:28 pm

Freaky!
Two things, both related to my science teaching...
I am totally going to make a lesson plan with that story. It is highly accessible. Then I shall make it available for all science teachers of the world to access, as is my wont to do. Stop me if you dare.

And the sex with Elmo deal? Again, freaky! I have taught an entire genetics unit using Muppet genetics.... Elmo is the front contender for Most Chosen Male Muppet for this project. Sort of like Muppets prostitution, or wife-swapping for monsters, or arranged marriages.... Either way, I win!
Go Figure.
http://www.geocities.com/f5iver/boymuppets.html
http://www.geocities.com/mizem55/scifi.html

StalinSays
Beast-Master

yeesh

Post by StalinSays » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:57 pm

I have determined this story discussion as the best dumping grounds for parent outrage related toy stories of minor importance. Consider it salacious Elmo's inheritance:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,51 ... 19,00.html

Streetwalker?! For leggings? Have I unknowingly been living in Iran to this point, and am just now coming out of my fugue?

Also, in response to F5iver's post, I choose Telly as my breeding partner. Am I doing it wrong?

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:04 pm

But, that's how I dress my kids...

:cry:

Boo hoo hoo! I'm a horrible father!
Advertise in this space!

F5iver

Re: yeesh

Post by F5iver » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:41 am

StalinSays wrote:
Also, in response to F5iver's post, I choose Telly as my breeding partner. Am I doing it wrong?
You have to choose a male muppet Telly: check!
Now you choose a female:........?

Determine their genetics, and ta-da! The magic of modern, um, 'science', you got yourself a muppet baby. Aw, so cuuuuuuuuude!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:53 pm

F5iver wrote:Freaky!
Two things, both related to my science teaching...
I am totally going to make a lesson plan with that story. It is highly accessible. Then I shall make it available for all science teachers of the world to access, as is my wont to do. Stop me if you dare.

And the sex with Elmo deal? Again, freaky! I have taught an entire genetics unit using Muppet genetics.... Elmo is the front contender for Most Chosen Male Muppet for this project. Sort of like Muppets prostitution, or wife-swapping for monsters, or arranged marriages.... Either way, I win!
Go Figure.
http://www.geocities.com/f5iver/boymuppets.html
http://www.geocities.com/mizem55/scifi.html
I wish I had had you back in science class. Love the science fiction idea.
"Give us all some Jelly"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:16 am

I heard on the Skepticality podcast that in the state of New Mexico, Pluto has been legislated to remain a planet.

Apparently Pluto was discovered by a New Mexican (New Mexicanian, New Mexacanite?, New Mexicaner?)

So he's still in the big leagues there.

The big question I have about Pluto is when will he throw off the chains of oppression of his slave-owning master, Goofy.

Dogs owning Dogs... That just aint right.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:20 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
Apparently Pluto was discovered by a New Mexican (New Mexicanian, New Mexacanite?, New Mexicaner?)
A picture of the new Mexican at the awards ceremony.

Spoiler:

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:45 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:I heard on the Skepticality podcast that in the state of New Mexico, Pluto has been legislated to remain a planet.

I thought it was the state of Illinois, and it was discovered by an Illinoisa... Illinoisoi... umm, Tweedy?
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:56 pm

cammoblammo wrote:
I thought it was the state of Illinois, and it was discovered by an Illinoisa... Illinoisoi... umm, Tweedy?
I think this clears it up. (Though I have know idea if it's Illinoisian, Illinoisite, Illinoisier...)
wikipedia wrote: Tombaugh was born in Streator[1], LaSalle County, Illinois.

After his family moved to Burdett, Kansas, Tombaugh built his first telescope and sent drawings of his observations of Jupiter and Mars to the Lowell Observatory. These resulted in a job offer. Tombaugh was employed at the Lowell Observatory from 1929 to 1945.

Following his discovery of Pluto, Tombaugh earned astronomy degrees from the University of Kansas and Northern Arizona University. He worked at the White Sands Missile Range in the early 1950s, and taught astronomy at New Mexico State University from 1955 until his retirement in 1973. He died in Las Cruces, New Mexico, 1997 and was survived by his wife Patricia, daughter Annette and son Alden, a retired banker.[2]

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:38 pm

May we all be blessed to die before the world demotes our most important achievements.

Spoiler:

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:53 pm

I love that he got an astronomy degree after he discovered a planet. First things first.
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:14 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:I love that he got an astronomy degree after he discovered a planet. First things first.
That's even more ahead of the game than Ian Shelton discovering SN1987A while he was working on his graduate degree. (While he was listening to "The Wall" on his Walkman.)

Norvaljoe

Post by Norvaljoe » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:49 pm

This was a wonderful tribute to our recently declassified planet. I've felt a bit sad for that distant ice cube. It was nice to see the planets personified and pulling for thier underdog. Well written and nicely performed.
I never laugh outloud, <g>!

Deadguy

Post by Deadguy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Agreed. I also felt that it was a simple, innocent tribute to the little guy.

I was quite distraught when I learned of Pluto's demotion primarity for litterary reasons. The mnemonic device we used in school was perfect. Now we have to think up another.

My very elegant mother just served us nine pizzas.

Perhaps with the loss of Pluto it could be changed to this:
Margaret's viral encephalopods made Justin scream uncontrollably nightly. ??? :shock:

Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 103- Out of His League by Bruce Golden

Post by Unblinking » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:06 pm

This was a cute idea and the line about Pluto's demotion was awesome. (One of my favorite t-shirts is still the one I've seen on SnorgTees that says "It's okay Pluto, I'm not a planet either") But I've never been at all interested in baseball, so wrapping a planet story in baseball just made it less interesting to me, I'm afraid.