Drabblecast 104 - The Food Processor

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics

:?:

Whimsical
29%
Creepy
71%

Total votes: 14

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:22 pm

Yeah, that luke and kendall can be tough sometimes. It depends on if they read your work drunk or not.

Looking forward to reading it.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:11 am

I was surprised to find myself really enjoying this story halfway through. I think once I got into the fable "vibe" it was easier to go with it, like others have said. It was a fun change of pace to hear on this show, definitely one of the stranger that I have heard so far.

I too thought of the characters as small, and this seemed confirmed from the line about Charles hiding under a pot. I guess it could have been a big pot though.

I didn't catch any of the mythology while listening but I see it now. What do people think of the Father character? He seems portrayed as large, evil and gross (neck boil), controlling, but ultimately garners some sympathy ("what has become of my family?") at least from me. Does he eat his wife because she is dead and he, like the children, eat things in the world that will make them stronger?
It would be neat to have the author share some of his thoughts on this story.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:15 am

Yeah, I wonder if Norm'd hafta pay him a penny and a half a word to post?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:50 am

That's what I'm banking on.

No seriously, the bank will break my legs if Norm doesn't pay me a penny and a half per word.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:54 am

I didn't find either Father or Mother to be at all sympathetic. Father is utterly selfish: He sees his family (and his cooks) as merely extension of this own person. They do what he wants and only what he wants, and if they do anything unexpected he gets totally bent out of shape. He's a big baby, as are most of the deities populating mythology.

Mother has no personality. She really is just an extension of Father, and as such no tears can be shed for her, since there really isn't any her to cry for.

And now I must give my children baths.

In water.
Advertise in this space!

bkempins

why does a gas power food processor....

Post by bkempins » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:16 am

need an electrical power cord?

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:23 am

That last post with reading the subject line makes sense. That last post without reading the subject line made me laugh out loud, following tweedy's post.

Welcome to the forums, bkempins!

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:13 am

tbaker2500 wrote:That last post without reading the subject line made me laugh out loud, following tweedy's post.
You're a sick, sick man.

I see the 222 members are having an unwholesome influence on you.
Advertise in this space!

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:27 am

tbaker2500 wrote:That last post with reading the subject line makes sense. That last post without reading the subject line made me laugh out loud, following tweedy's post.
I thought he was asking the big question hanging over the story. Those boys needed a jolly long extension cord to keep that food processor going once they headed for the city.

And where'd they plug it? Hadn't they eaten the house?
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:39 am

They specifically said that the food processor didn't run off of electricity. It runs directly off the food that's put into the processor.

normsherman
Site Admin

Re: why does a gas power food processor....

Post by normsherman » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:45 am

bkempins wrote:need an electrical power cord?
Absolute best and worst first post ever.
"Give us all some Jelly"

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:41 am

delfedd wrote:They specifically said that the food processor didn't run off of electricity. It runs directly off the food that's put into the processor.
Ah.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:47 am

Or grease. or something along those lines.

bkempins

Post by bkempins » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:18 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:That last post with reading the subject line makes sense. That last post without reading the subject line made me laugh out loud, following tweedy's post.

Welcome to the forums, bkempins!
Thanks.

I just got started a few weeks ago on a recommendation from a friend. You are doing an excellent job.

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:20 am

Didn't like it. Didn't like the spineless mother, the freakshow dad, the kids, anything about it. I'm probably not smart enough to pick up on mythology, so I had no chance there.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:28 am

I know you're kinda reluctant to say, but how do you really feel about the story? :D

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:05 pm

Wow! I never expected to laugh-out-loud so many times by reading the comments of this rather grim story. Thanks for the smiles you guys keep slapping on my face!
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

LajesticVantrashellofLob

Post by LajesticVantrashellofLob » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:28 am

I wasn't exactly sure what to think of this story. While I know I shouldn't do this, I couldn't help yelling (in my head) at the number of chemical and physical impossibilities in this story - drinking wood, metal, etc. Perhaps I wasn't pleased because the story started off obeying the laws of the natural world - if it had started with a talking squid or a sleep machine, I would have known what to expect.

Defilement of science aside, I'm pretty sure that I enjoyed this tale of... whatever it was about. I haven't read all the in-depth analysis on this forum yet, but I think it'll make sense to me then.
Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules. Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.

You're always the hero in your own story - life is about not being the villain in anyone else's.

Unblinking

Re: Drabblecast 104 - The Food Processor by Michael Canfield

Post by Unblinking » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:30 pm

The story seemed like it was following familiar horror trope at the beginning with the children confined by a monstrous and rarely seen father figure. I think there was a Pseudopod episode that started along similar lines, actually.

But once they started grinding stuff up with the food processor and drinking it, it got really unique and really interesting very quickly. I love how it went from the odd but mundane in the beginning to the blatantly impossible as it went on, how so many impossible things just were possible with no further explanation as they often are in myths. Most of all, I loved the ending, how these children are set loose on a world that is entirely unprepared for their carnage.