Drabblecast 232 – Valentine’s Day With The Gods

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Beth Peters

Re: Drabblecast 232 – Valentine’s Day With The Gods

Post by Beth Peters » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Great drabble (but didn't Norm say he hated vampire fiction at some point?)

The main story was awesome!! Perfect Valentines day present, whether you are bitter about the holiday or "lovey-dovey" as Norm said. In the end, it doesn't matter, the maw of the cold vast cosmos hangs open for all. I agree with loyal eagle (great twabble by the way!) that the beginning of the story with the metal finger and the abandoned movie theater seemed kind of random, but it was still fun and humorous so I didn't have a problem with it. The flute playing line was great and delivered perfectly and this story had one of the best last sentences of any story I've read or listened to in a long time. Brave as ants...

The outro was hilarious! I laughed out loud at the vagina line and am not ashamed to admit it. :D
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:32 am

I'm not sure I'm smart enough to get all the references buried in that story. Very awesome story, I loved the DeBeers shadows, also being Lovecraftian creatures. The references I did get were just friggin awesome. And of course the flute line was laugh out loud funny.

Great episode. Loved the intro AND the outtro. Never afraid to offend, my boy Norm.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

JesseLivingston

Post by JesseLivingston » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:57 am

strawman wrote: Please humor me here while I get one thing off my chest: As a dedicated DC Slusher, why, oh why! do I never get to read the likes of Jesse Livingston? The exquisite syntactic rhythms, the brushstrokes of pointilistic imagery, marching brave as ants into the gloom, and trying to tame the wretched stillness. I am sure that Jesse made many a creative writing teacher weep, by offering this anathema to Cthulu.
I've got the slush reader vote! Maybe I shouldn't get too cocky, though; I was up against poop stories.

Seriously, thanks for the words of praise, Strawman. They made me feel really good.

Also, thanks to Norm for doing a fantastic job with the production (should we expect anything less at this point?), and thanks to Jerel for the frankly stunning artwork. Oh, man, that artwork. I love it so.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:45 am

Don't fall for the Strawman fallacy!

But welcome aboard. :)

themorg

Post by themorg » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am

normsherman wrote:Scattercat's my valentine.
Ha Ha you get a card from norm.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:41 pm

themorg wrote:
I shall open my mailbox each day with trepidation and lingering concern.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Scattercat wrote:
themorg wrote:
I shall open my mailbox each day with trepidation and lingering concern.
And morbid curiosity.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

themorg

Post by themorg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:39 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:
Scattercat wrote:
themorg wrote:
I shall open my mailbox each day with trepidation and lingering concern And morbid curiosity.
I had an EX that once sent me a dead fish in the mail (pre 9-11) and it was the worst thing i got in the post. I wonder what norm will send you. He sends me packets of joy online every week.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:01 pm

This story was okay. It was fun, the line about the flute was funny, but I didn't find it all that memorable. (Actually I'm grasping a bit to remember anything but the flute line, that's what I get for getting behind on forum postings).

I thought the vagina line was funny for the reasons that scattercast explained--proclaiming something as a universal truth which is not a universal truth. There are some things that are funny because they're true, this was funny because it was ludicrous.

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:37 am

I didn't love this one, in part because I either missed or didn't get who the couple was and how they were outside space and time to be at a conference for gods. Maybe they were god trainees?

The flute line was great as was the seated alphabetically crack.

Norm's outro was funny (to me) because if you ask all men to describe in one word what they really want for Valentine's Day, I suspect he nailed the majority answer, no pun intended.

Lastly, I'd like to admit that I immaturely giggled reading Beth Peters' comment because on the left side of my screen the forum system describes her as Beth Peters . . . Member.

cinnamon

Post by cinnamon » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:11 pm

tbaker2500 wrote: ... I loved the DeBeers shadows, also being Lovecraftian creatures...
I just re-listened to this yesterday and that completely went over my head. I listened to that description like 2-3 times and just kept thinking "what?" Finally I gave up. Thank god for tbaker.

Also, the vagina joke thing... funny how nobody ever gets offended on behalf of men. If I were inclined to be insulted by vagina jokes at all I would find this far more insulting towards men than women quite frankly, since the joke essentially reduce them to brainless, vagina-seeking missiles. Which at least some of them are not. Glad my ginie was unknowingly the perfect VD present to the whole world, though... I guess?
Mush, Baby!

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:37 pm

cinnamon wrote: ginie
???

Since when?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

cinnamon

Post by cinnamon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:08 am

strawman wrote:
cinnamon wrote: ginie
???

Since when?

Since when did I have one or since when did I use that word?

Not that it matters, the answer to both questions is "since forever."
Mush, Baby!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:46 am

cinnamon wrote:Not that it matters, the answer to both questions is "since forever."
Wow, you must be OLD!

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:52 am

Just wondering where that name for it came from. I thought I knew them all.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

cinnamon

Post by cinnamon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:08 am

tbaker2500 wrote: Wow, you must be OLD!
I have a vague feeling I should maybe be insulted by this, but my ancient skin appears to be too thick for that.
strawman wrote:Just wondering where that name for it came from. I thought I knew them all.
How many have you assembled? :shock:
Mush, Baby!

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:09 am

cinnamon wrote:I have a vague feeling I should maybe be insulted by this, but my ancient skin appears to be too thick for that.
Oh, hardly. Your fur looks soft and luxurious!

cinnamon

Post by cinnamon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:02 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
cinnamon wrote:I have a vague feeling I should maybe be insulted by this, but my ancient skin appears to be too thick for that.
Oh, hardly. Your fur looks soft and luxurious!

Well I condition.
Mush, Baby!

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:21 pm

cinnamon wrote:Which at least some of them are not. Glad my ginie was unknowingly the perfect VD present to the whole world, though... I guess?
Uhhhh.... By "VD" you mean "Valentine's Day" right? In this context, the first meaning of VD that came to mind was a completely different one that totally makes sense in this sentence. I had to read it about four times before I realized what you meant... :P

cinnamon wrote:Also, the vagina joke thing... funny how nobody ever gets offended on behalf of men. If I were inclined to be insulted by vagina jokes at all I would find this far more insulting towards men than women quite frankly, since the joke essentially reduce them to brainless, vagina-seeking missiles.
I've been offended on behalf of men before, though not terribly often, and I don't think I've seen any in media sources. The only time comes to mind was at work, when somebody left a mess in the kitchen area, and a female co-worker emailed to the company and said that everybody needs to clean up after themselves (which is a reasonable statement) and "Just because your mom, or wife are not around to nag you, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it!" I found that comment really irritating. Granted, most of our company are male engineers, I thought it was rude to make it sound like all men in general are incapable of cleaning up their own messes. If she had at least generalized it and said "spouses" rather than "wives" that would've been better. (I almost certainly know who left the mess because he's done it before when I've seen him leave it, and yes he is male. But his maleness is not the reason he leaves messes. The reason is that he's an antisocial workaholic a-hole)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Unblinking wrote:
cinnamon wrote:Which at least some of them are not. Glad my ginie was unknowingly the perfect VD present to the whole world, though... I guess?
Uhhhh.... By "VD" you mean "Valentine's Day" right? In this context, the first meaning of VD that came to mind was a completely different one that totally makes sense in this sentence. I had to read it about four times before I realized what you meant... :P
Oh, thank you! I've been stumbling over this one for a while now. How she gave VD to the whole world? Wow.