Drabblecast 105 – Doubleheader 2 (Pie theme)

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Mr. Tweedy

Drabblecast 105 – Doubleheader 2 (Pie theme)

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:00 pm

Feature: The Blueberry Pie by Mur Lafferty
Feature: The Pie Hunters by Mur Lafferty
No drabble for this episode.
Genres: Comedy Fantasy Strange

Wednesday, March 4th, 2009
She’d been hunting full-grown pies for four years now. The little hand-held fruit pies were for kids– the preservatives made them slow and stupid– but pies in the wild, they were the true treasure, they had formed the culture of her people…

Episode Art: K. Martinez
"The Blueberry Pie" and "The Pie Hunters" are Drabblecast original stories.

No twabble for this episode.
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: "Standardize" format. Add or correct links.

Richmazzer

Post by Richmazzer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:47 am

That...was....hilarious.

Perfect tongue-in-cheek production of two unbelievably ridiculous and wonderful stories. This one's a keeper.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:03 am

I think Norm and Mur are 'kindred spirits'. In an Ann of Green Galaxies kinda way, that is.

Though the idea of pie hunting societies appeals to me, I thought the first story ended a bit prematurely. Underbaked, perhaps.

The second had a light, flaky crust, but not everyone agrees on the use of cinammon with blueberries.

Kendall, behave.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

delfedd

Post by delfedd » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:54 pm

I really liked this story.

As a student of anthropology, the idea of looking at another culture was wonderful. It was set in a world where things that shouldn't be

Maybe a crazy alternate future where genetic engineering has run rampant, spider plants, pies and cakes have taken strange new forms. Society has crumbled, and roving bands of egalitarian tribes hunt through the wild.

Also, why would you want to harvest spiders?

tastycakes

Post by tastycakes » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:16 pm

While I remember talking to Mur, and being drunk while talking to Mur, I do not believe I was hitting on Mur. This is not to say that Mur isn't a great gal, just that I wasn't hitting on her.

My charisma is often intimidating to many people, and thus, they take it as "game." When under the influence, my charisma becomes supramundane, which I think speaks to what Norm (or Mur) mistakenly took as spewing game.
One day he will look into what a ‘stigmata’ really is; for now, it is his trump card for getting out of work. He simply says ‘stigmata’ and they say ‘shit, hope you feel better soon.’ End of story.

tastycakes

Post by tastycakes » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Wow, now that I hear about "pie-sex" methinks that perhaps I should have been hitting on Mur.

Has there ever been a more delicious pleasure?
One day he will look into what a ‘stigmata’ really is; for now, it is his trump card for getting out of work. He simply says ‘stigmata’ and they say ‘shit, hope you feel better soon.’ End of story.

tastycakes

Post by tastycakes » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:23 pm

...and for my third straight post: YES, there should be a poll for this story.

What's your favorite kind of pie to hunt?

This is really tough for me, I'll give you my top 5:
Lemon Meringue/Key Lime
Pecan
Chess
Razzleberry (check 'dis out!)
Peach

Are we including crumbles and cobblers? I prefer peach cobblers to peach pies, and blueberry crumbles to blueberry pies.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Pro Pie Propaganda

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:27 pm

A clear indication of where Mur Lafferty stands in the controversial Pie>Cake, Cake>Pie debate.

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:07 pm

A) Crumb and Cobbler hunters are a different subgenus altogether.
B) Kendall (and Norm) seem to be intoxicated more often than not.
C) Pie-sex? In your fantasies things look a lot better than in reality. Thats why we're in DCland. In reality, having sex with some old flabby, filthy slut pie isn't at all what you pictured. Remember that you're not just eating the pie; you're eating everyone else who has eaten that pie. Still, if you must, remember to wear Mr. raincoat, or next thing you know, you got pie support payments for little Kendallberries.

Doesn't sound so delicious now, does it, Mr. TastyCAKES?!

Spoiler:

tastycakes

Post by tastycakes » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:24 pm

strawman wrote: C) Pie-sex? In your fantasies things look a lot better than in reality. Thats why we're in DCland. In reality, having sex with some old flabby, filthy slut pie isn't at all what you pictured. Remember that you're not just eating the pie; you're eating everyone else who has eaten that pie. Still, if you must, remember to wear Mr. raincoat, or next thing you know, you got pie support payments for little Kendallberries.

Doesn't sound so delicious now, does it, Mr. TastyCAKES?!
Damn your conservative agenda, Strawman! If I want lil' Kendallberries running to and fro across the country, that is my right as an American! At least they'd be delicious, juicy bits of hope that would take this faltering nation upon their rounded, fruity shoulders and deliver piping-hot redemption.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

straight from the oven

Post by StalinSays » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:14 am

So an item (pies) that is often used as a euphemism for the female anatomy, is used as the bedding ground for the love-making of two other sets of anatomy. Does this constitute the literary world's first 'triple entendre?'

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:07 pm

Awesome combination: Norm and Mur and lots of pie!

I enjoyed peach and cherry bite of that epiesode. No, wait. I have pie in my mouth...
I enjoyed each and every byte of that episode!
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

Poppydragon

Post by Poppydragon » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:09 pm

Pietastic...There again it's Mur, so I shouldn't be surprised that she comes up with these two little slices of awesomeness.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:45 pm

Great stories. True Drabblecast. No point of repeating the praise others have already wrote, so I'll jump to my one criticism of the first story.

What did the sex scene add to the story? Nothing, as far as I can tell. The double and triple entendres were already plentiful. But by having the sex scene, it greatly reduced the number of people I wanted to play the story for.

This could have been a great children's story. But the best children stories have many layers that keep all ages entertained, leaving the rest to your imagination. For a sake of reference, imagine Wall-E ending with Wall-E and Eve having computerized sex. :shock:
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:21 pm

tbaker2500 wrote: This could have been a great children's story. But the best children stories have many layers that keep all ages entertained, leaving the rest to your imagination. For a sake of reference, imagine Wall-E ending with Wall-E and Eve having computerized sex. :shock:
Come to think of it, I think I saw PeeWee Herman in a raincoat at Wall-E.

Spoiler:

cammoblammo

Post by cammoblammo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:06 am

All this arguing over pies, and not one meat pie on the menu. Fruit pies make a great dessert (preferably with cream) but nothing says 'eat me' like a good steak pie dripping with sauce.

And that curry pie I had for lunch last week---now there's quarry worthy of a hunt.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:23 am

I just can't get in to stories where the main characters are sentient food items. The stories were a bit funny and held my attention but were instantly deleted. Looking forward to next week.

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:31 pm

tbaker2500 wrote: What did the sex scene add to the story? Nothing, as far as I can tell. The double and triple entendres were already plentiful. But by having the sex scene, it greatly reduced the number of people I wanted to play the story for.

This could have been a great children's story. But the best children stories have many layers that keep all ages entertained, leaving the rest to your imagination. For a sake of reference, imagine Wall-E ending with Wall-E and Eve having computerized sex. :shock:
I feel where you're coming from as it did make the story un-kiddable, but I didn't think it was very graphic at all. What it added was further ridiculousness to an already ridiculous premise. I rather enjoyed the imagery of two savages(?) rolling around, making love in pie entrails. Plus it was essential for the plot, as killing a cherry pie in heat was a right of passage into adulthood that let her "first feel the touch of a man", which I thought was a pretty funny line.

What I found inconsistent in the second story was that it is made explicit by the character that the rest of his tribe is all dead, yet she asks him again later in the story if any survived, and then even goes so far as to leave the vanilla beans on her spider plants to hopefully attract surviving members.

devora

Post by devora » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:12 am

I'm blind-baking as I write. Food that makes you want to run it on someone's chest is worth hunting for. [/i]

Norma Sherman

Mmmmm... . . . . .. . . . .. pie...

Post by Norma Sherman » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:33 am

I have to say, Norm's sensual narration was truly a treat (n.p.i.). I can't say that I would have been able to read a story so seriously and sensually as he did. I might have burst out laughing, myself... I almost did... but much to my surprise, I actually found myself blushing and smiling, enjoying the story. Maybe I was just enjoying my thoughts of Norm... dripping in pie... . . . ? Norm what's your favorite pie? I'm an excellent baker ;)
i <3 norm.