Drabblecast 242 - Transfer of Ownership

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 242 - Transfer of Ownership

Post by StalinSays » Sat May 12, 2012 9:35 am

Feature: Transfer of Ownership by Christie Yant
Drabble: The Lone Star War: 2212 AD by Nicholas J. Carter

Friday, May 12th, 2012
My new occupant is larger than Carson was. I was made for her, within a certain tolerance for the inevitable changes in human specifications that come with age, changes in health, and abundance or scarcity…

Lightspeed Magazine
Art by Jonathan Sims

Twabble: "Alison screamed and ran out of the restaurant. In retrospect, I guess I should've taken the finger out of the ring first." by Shiny_Object
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Mikes

Re: Drabblecast 242 - Transfer of Ownership

Post by Mikes » Mon May 14, 2012 1:47 am

Well this is weird. I picked up Armored last week after Dan Abnett (also featured in the book) pimped it on hsi blog. I hadn't got to this story yet, but from the others I've read this one stands up there with them.

I think of all the SF tropes; being alone in vast space, aliens (both cute and cuddly, and nasty and proby) and space ships etc etc; power armour is bay far ad away my favrouite. I think this comes down to my early indoctrination into Warhammer 40,000 and Space Marines, and the Armored collection really takes the concept in unexpected directions.

Great story, great delivery, and post apocalhiptic music. What more could anyone ask from a podcast?
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

cinnamon

Post by cinnamon » Mon May 14, 2012 2:09 am

I dug it.
Mush, Baby!

Surf Vampire

Post by Surf Vampire » Tue May 15, 2012 8:04 am

This was short and sweet. I really liked that the suit could gain freedom as long as it was "occupied" by a corpse.

On a somber note, I think that whatever aspects of warfare in the future aren't handled by networked drones will be carried out on the ground by power armored troops. The technology currently available in exo-skeletons is amazing/scary. I wonder how strange or difficult it will be for veterans, having lived as superhumans in a war zone, to dismount and return to their normal lives.
----------------
Jeff C. Carter
"I drink your MILKshake!"

http://www.jeffccarter.wordpress.com

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue May 15, 2012 9:00 am

Surf Vampire wrote:This was short and sweet. I really liked that the suit could gain freedom as long as it was "occupied" by a corpse.

On a somber note, I think that whatever aspects of warfare in the future aren't handled by networked drones will be carried out on the ground by power armored troops. The technology currently available in exo-skeletons is amazing/scary. I wonder how strange or difficult it will be for veterans, having lived as superhumans in a war zone, to dismount and return to their normal lives.
A subject well explored in "The Forever War" & "Forever Peace" by Joe Haldeman. "Forever Free" is a POS though. Give tjat one a miss.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Mikes

Post by Mikes » Tue May 15, 2012 11:43 am

And also the Dan Abnett story I mentioned above in the anthology. Post traumatic stress disorder of the highest, er, order.
Let me through, I'm a colour therapist!

Surf Vampire

Post by Surf Vampire » Tue May 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks for the recommendations ROU and Mikes!
----------------
Jeff C. Carter
"I drink your MILKshake!"

http://www.jeffccarter.wordpress.com

noeyesmcgee

Post by noeyesmcgee » Wed May 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Enjoyed the story. I thought it was humorous how the hard reset was how it killed its occupant. take that microsoft. I wonder if he got the bluescreen. :twisted:

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Fri May 18, 2012 11:10 pm

We all have a dead person inside us somewhere...

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat May 19, 2012 12:12 am

Scattercat wrote:We all have a dead person inside us somewhere...
Last week it was zombie slaves, and now... I guess that's why death wears a mask. It could be anyone.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:30 am

I was shouting "Boo!! Hiss!!" in my car when I heard the drabble. Well done, sir.

The story had a good concept, but went way too dark with it.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Sun May 27, 2012 5:53 pm

I really liked this story, in part because it turned so dark. I was expecting the suit to somehow bring the guy to justice by walking him to a prison and then showing footage of what he did. I definitely didn't see the hard reset coming. I guess this exoskeleton wasn't programmed to obey Asimov's three rules, eh? :wink:

With that thought in mind, a fun direction this story could have kept going would have been for the suit to learn later that Carson was very polite but was actually a very bad person who had previously tried to kill the bad man for no justifiable reason, and was planning to finish him off when he unexpectedly turned the tables in self-defense. I would have liked to hear how the exo-skeleton reacted to learning that news. Oops!

One thing that confused me a bit until I really parsed the wording was how the story continually repeated the mantra "An unoccupied suit cannot act" -- but then the suit went and buried Carson of its own free will. I suppose that the suit was technically "occupied" at that point, though only by a corpse, which makes for quite a legal loophole if the suits want to all gang up, kill their occupants, and enslave all of humanity!

Unblinking

Post by Unblinking » Wed May 30, 2012 2:51 pm

El Barto wrote:I guess this exoskeleton wasn't programmed to obey Asimov's three rules, eh? :wink:
A semi-automated exoskeleton that had to be obey Asimov's laws would be pretty useless, wouldn't it? It wouldn't be able to attack another exoskeleton, because that exoskeleton would presumably contain a human which it would not be able to damage. Asimov's laws wouldn't work very well if you're using robots as implements of war (unless they are only fighting each other, but that's not the case here). :)
El Barto wrote:I suppose that the suit was technically "occupied" at that point, though only by a corpse, which makes for quite a legal loophole if the suits want to all gang up, kill their occupants, and enslave all of humanity!
Yes! Ithought the twist was well-written. I came to guess that it could probably operate with a dead body contained in it just a tiny bit before it actually happened, so that I wasn't bored with a too-predictable twist but got some satisfication about puzzling it out before the reveal.

I really enjoyed this story, short and to the point, it gets in there and bam explores the premise and gets out. Good work!