Drabblecast 287 – Sweetie

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
StalinSays
Beast-Master

Drabblecast 287 – Sweetie

Post by StalinSays » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:33 am

Feature: Sweetie by Michelle Ann King
Drabble: Benjy by James Rogers
Genres: Horror Strange
Warning: Explicit language

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013
Audiences have so little respect, these days.

Admittedly, my little traveling show isn’t what it once was. We’ve been on the road for a long, long time. But I like to think that for the discerning customer, we still provide value for money. An experience you can’t get from the computer screen–the modern freakshow–despite all its tricks and special effects…

Episode Art: Raoul Izzard

Twabble: “ "Creativity's a river. It doesn't run dry," Lisa said when she got writer's block. But she didn't factor in the beavers.
-- Varda

I pelt bad:
I typed in a fever
'Twas writer's beaver
My plot was in a jam

I couldn't have that
so I made a new hat
of felt
I don't give a damn
-- Algernon Sydney is Dead ” by Varda & Algernon Sydney is Dead
Last edited by Algernon Sydney is Dead on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "Standardize" format. Add or correct links.
Instagram: @Bokaier | Twitter: @BoKaier | Vine: @BoKaier | Tumblr: bokaier.tumblr.com

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Re: Drabblecast 287 – Sweetie

Post by Varda » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Nice little story. Cautionary tales are fun in that they serve a double function: first, they try to scare people (often small children) into correct behavior. Secondly, they let other people (often adults) blow off steam by indulging in a bit of schadenfreude at the moron's/victim's expense.

Still, while cautionary tales are often hilarious, they're rarely just. They remind me of the kinds of fantasies I have when out driving in heavy traffic, and you have those one or two people whose bad driving is making everyone else on the road miserable. You wish you had Ben Hur-style spikes you could activate and puncture the jerk's tires, or do something else to ruin the guy's day that's way out of proportion to the misery he's actually caused you. Cautionary tales are framed in a way that smacks of justice, but they're actually way over the top. We just want to see the jerk suffer for breaking the social code.

It's doubly true when we're talking about children. We don't rationally expect kids to know and follow all the social rules, but let's face it: they can be little hellspawn sometimes, and it gets on our nerves. But healthy, sane adults would never want to inflict pointless suffering on even a nasty little child. So we produce stuff like Struwwelpeter, or even "Sweetie", to get out that frustration in a healthy and hilarious way.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

silverflute

Post by silverflute » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:48 pm

That was fun and simple, reminiscent of the Drabblecast stories of yester-yore. I liked how the author hinted at traveling the "old country" and other aspects of Sweetie and the narrator's relationship without going into much detail. We aren't sure what their natures are, but they are seemingly timeless and supernatural.
Also I thought this story was a model example of good pacing and tension building in the short form. Well done.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:14 am

That was a nice throwback. I didn't really take it as a cautionary tale. I think you should be cautious of it's tail, though. I more viewed it as a nice story about dinner. You know, the audio version of imstagrammed food.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Beth Peters

Post by Beth Peters » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:17 pm

lol tbaker.

This was a good time and sufficiently engaging/spooky. It wasn't as hard hitting as other Drabblecasts but that's totally fine.
A Jetson Your Llama! I never said that it was a Mexican McDonalds!