Drabblecast 123 - Toast

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
Mr. Tweedy

Drabblecast 123 - Toast

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Toast by Jamie Lackey

Elaine ended up spending the rest of the day teaching the toasts how to coordinate themselves to play Dance Dance Revolution using both dance pads.

Guest reader Abigail Hilton

Jamie Lackey

Pimp My Satellite Music Video by Free Mode Media

Nigerian Scam Spam Competition winner is: Bo Kaier!

Music by Phil Keaggy and Phil Cuneff[/img]

Daniel Smith: He kicks ass.
Advertise in this space!

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:44 pm

Yes! This story is my cup of tea; completely absurd with absolutely no take home message. I do not know which I liked more, the discovery of the toast or the cruel stomping scene.

I also liked the narration by Abigail, she nailed the character of Elaine.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:26 am

Norm/Rick, you cruel hearted toast stomper! I never knew that was in your nature.

Great story guys/gals!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:47 pm

The toast really was toast. Gotta be a first time for that.
But there is a take-home message. Who among us was not pissed at Elaines boyfriend for his callous toast massacre? The take-home message is that something in the strange hearts of DC fans is toast-empathetic. And if we can be made to be toast-empathetic, where will that mess ever end? :shock:
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

thebrog

Post by thebrog » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:48 am

This story made me happy. I don't know how to explain why Toast silliness followed by Toast holocaust is funny, but it kinda was.
The Elitists Podcast
A Weekly Blizzard Entertainment News Podcast
http://www.Elitistpodcast.com/

LajesticVantrashellofLob

Post by LajesticVantrashellofLob » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:47 pm

I have a feeling that this is going to wind up being another complete and utter hit, like Jelly Park and Code Brown - amusing, well written tales with no point or take home message at all.

As much, if not more fun than 122, which is saying something. Keep it up!
Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules. Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.

You're always the hero in your own story - life is about not being the villain in anyone else's.

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Yes! Another high score on the Hit List, indeed.

This story was very cute and fun and I... oh, hold on, my toast is ready. I'll be back in a minute, let me just g
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

StalinSays
Beast-Master

I enjoy it

Post by StalinSays » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:44 pm

It was an awesome experience to hear Norm breath life in to something I wrote. He was able to divine sentence structure out of chaos. Narration is an art.

I enjoyed the story, light and pleasant (despite the culling).

Anyone else have 3 minutes of dead air attached to their version? Struck me as odd.

normsherman
Site Admin

Re: I enjoy it

Post by normsherman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:00 pm

StalinSays wrote:
Anyone else have 3 minutes of dead air attached to their version? Struck me as odd.
Yep. Oops.

Moment of silence and reflection on what toasted wholegrain foods mean to all of us.
"Give us all some Jelly"

Phenopath

Re: I enjoy it

Post by Phenopath » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:59 pm

normsherman wrote:
StalinSays wrote:
Yep. Oops.

Moment of silence and reflection on what toasted wholegrain foods mean to all of us.
Norm, your listeners are desperate to escape from silence and reflection. Ye gads, anything but quiet reflection. From there it is only a hop and a skip to booding introspection, or worse "getting in touch with one's inner self". <shudders>

I would rather be the jerk who yells out during a minute's silence a football match.

the mighty twix

Post by the mighty twix » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:18 pm

I enjoyed this story, it really made my day. Also, as a bread baker it really hit home, I always try to aim to develop gluten in my dough, but now i will try for life.

Veganvampire

Post by Veganvampire » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:47 am

I think this is my favorite story yet. Until the toast-killing scene.

When Rick came in the door, I was already shouting in my mind at him that he better not DARE to hurt those toasts.

So here's my angry letter to Rick:

Dear Rick,
Why the heck would you even think of killing something as innocent and cute as walking pieces of toast? Did you think they posed some harm to you? Of course they didn't! Was it because they are different from you, is that it? Well, Rick, just because something isn't human doesn't mean it can't feel, can't suffer, can't play dance-dance-revolution! So it doesn't matter how many loaves of bread you send your EX-girlfriend, nothing can ever make up for what you did.
--Vegan Vampire.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:11 am

I really liked this one. Hilarious, ridiculous, light and fluffy but with a tragic twist that you can't quite take seriously because it's just so nutty. Vintage Drabblecast. I loved the insertion of Dance Dance Revolution into the toast story. It just worked so well, and it was so over-the-top geeky.

Mrs. Tweedy didn't like it as much because she hated the implication that Elaine was going to get back with Rick, who is clearly and asshole.
Advertise in this space!

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:52 am

Oh... Jamie is Stalinsays and also....oh! *little gears click into place*

Hi, Jamie! I enjoyed reading your story. I also glanced at your writing website. That long list of submissions and responses - man, do I sympathize. Must be nice to have a place to respond to them. I just sort of swallow it and keep going.
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

alhilton

Post by alhilton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:03 am

Oh, no, Stalin is Bo! I'm so much less confused now. The Nigerian spam was awesome. :)
http://cowrycatchers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
http://panamindorah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:33 am

alhilton wrote:Oh, no, Stalin is Bo! I'm so much less confused now. The Nigerian spam was awesome. :)
Your narration was awesome, Jamie's story was awesome, Bo's Scamspam was awesome, Universal Health care is awesome (but only in theory)-- no worries, we all have the exact same opinions here on the the DC forums! Interchange all you like.
"Give us all some Jelly"

DougallStrange

Toast

Post by DougallStrange » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Toast is one of my new favorite stories from the show. It was what I think the tentacle armed love child born of a drunken one night stand between the Drabblecast and Disney would be like. Complete with adorable characters, that heartrending moment that brings tears to your eyes (ala bambi's mom), and the hopeful ending, but about living toast playing Dance Dance Revolution. A beautiful thing!
Unnamable Cthuloid horrors, crumble rock, rusts scissors and inscribes paper with blasphemous secrets that cause your eyeballs to explode while your tongue catches fire from the unholy hymns your crazed mind forces you to scream out.

Goldenrat

Post by Goldenrat » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:22 am

Loved this one. Cutesy and funny until the drabblecastesque twist which turned the story in to a tragedy. Reminded me of the funny little toasts that were in the Zippy the Pinhead cartoons years ago, the only difference being the Zippy toasts sprang back to life with "special effects" after being stepped on.
Raise your fists and scream "black smut"!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:20 pm

Somone needs to get Pixar on the phone and broker the optioning of "Toast" to be used as the script for one of their cute short films shown before the feature-length event.

Twould be awesome.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Talia

Post by Talia » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:03 am

One of my favorite Drabblecasts hands-down. It too brought Jelly Park to my mind, for that same sense of sublime ridiculousness I think is a typical characteristic of the best Drabblecast tales.

I hope she was able to breathe new life into her new loaf.

Was a pleasant surprise to hear Ms. Hilton on here. She is an outstanding reader - I absolutely adore her 'Prophet of Padimandorah' books and highly, HIGHLY recommend them to anyone and everyone. (Can't wait for the next story!).