Drabblecast 411 – Wholesale Solution

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
mightytwix
Forums Czar

Post by mightytwix » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:44 am

by Fred Greenhalgh and Jack Bowman

Episode art by Kit Ainslie

Twabble: Spring is awful, filled with scuttling things and pollen. The trees revenge for the fires burned in winters long night. by Hazel
I keep telling you I grow sorghum...

Weird Beard

Re: Drabblecast 411 – Wholesale Solution

Post by Weird Beard » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:02 pm

I loved this production, if I wasn't quite sure where the meat plant was. Is it on Earth or Europa?

Where do I find the rest of the story?
I peek through the cracks from a world where Reality Fractured

El Barto

Post by El Barto » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:42 pm

Wow. That story was intense. My heart was racing as my adrenaline was pumping. Hey, wait a minute...

I too was unclear about where this was all taking place, as well as a few other things.

Reading the screenplay text at https://www.drabblecast.org/2019/07/19/ ... -solution/ helped. There, it becomes very clear that this stuff is all happening in a "butcher shop for food-grade meat humans" because, well, the text says exactly that. I got the feeling that it was all happening on Earth because that's where all the hungry people are. But it isn't clear.

Interestingly, the text also strongly suggests that the main character, Clay, is being actively harvested for his meat while the story is happening. ("The sound of a meat saw powers up, and Clay screams.") It is unclear to me whether he is having meat carved off that then regrows or if he's being killed. The former would seem to make most sense.

One other thing that remains unclear to me is whether the goal of the project is to generate adrenaline for its own sake, or just to grow human meat. The medical professionals in the story say they are “Squeezing twice as much adrenaline from every meatsack, and “look at the adrenaline collected.” Those things suggest they want the adrenaline as a byproduct. Maybe adrenaline makes people grow meat faster?

I couldn't find the rest of the story either. If you go to http://www.dagazmedia.com/universal-solution/ you can sign up for updates. It would be fun to read the rest for sure, and even more fun to listen to it.

ScubaMan

Post by ScubaMan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:58 pm

Oh hell yeah!
Uncle Norm, please use some % of my monthly patronage to secure additional episodes of this VERY distopian world. It was like listening to the lovechild of “The Matrix”, “Total Recall”, “Inception”, “2001 [HAL going on the fritz]”, and a James S.A. Corey (Leviathan Wakes) book.
ADVICE TO OTHER LISTENERS = re-listen to it using a set of headphones. I don’t know WHO did the sound effects and mixing, but DAMN! Your layering of different conversations did not go unnoticed! 8) :shock: 8)

So THAT’S what the title was all about. I appreciate a tale that has an incoherent title that only makes sense at the episode’s end.

Indeed, this episode was different from your usual Drabblecast fare. Sure, it could be posted on Escape Artists’ EscapePod ... and then it would fly off the rails, (with A.S. Looking on in horror). Nice. :mrgreen:

Lisa3737

Post by Lisa3737 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:59 am

Loved it! More, please!!!

normsherman
Site Admin

Post by normsherman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:51 am

I agree! Keep the encouragement coming on this one if you enjoyed it folks, Fred has potential ideas for expanding this with future pieces in a series.
"Give us all some Jelly"