Drabblecast 131 - Storm Comes A' Callin’

Discuss episodes and stories from the Drabblecast Main Feed and from Drabbleclassics
strawman

Re: Drabblecast 131- Storm Comes A' Callin’ by Jeremiah Tolbert

Post by strawman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:41 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Something really strange happened to you in high school english class (such an impressionable age, those teenage years,) didn't it, Strawman?
I attended an all-male Roman Catholic boarding school in New England , where I scored 760 on my Bovine Fecal Matter SAT. No, ROU, nothing really strange about that.

Until Miss Grimsley went through "the change of life", that is. Then things changed at Miskatonic Prep.

I graduated at the top (and bottom) of my class.
alhilton wrote:You could also focus on the storm as the agent of entropy and the ax as the agent of organization - yin/yang, creation and destruction
Entropy/Organization is excellent. Especially in the bayou, with the gris gris.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:34 am

Things I love:
Norm. (and I don't mean that in a creepy stalker way, but a very friendly cute kinda way)

Man, you really keep re-defining awesome, I can't help but be very entertained by all that you do.
Of course it helped, that you mentioned me in the episode :)

The story was great, I had the same idea as Tom: I see that there is a deeper level in it, but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Thanks, strawman, for explaining it. And thanks, ROU, for making me LOL with that remark.

The Science intro was pure awesomeness, I have listened to that part a few times and decided that I truly love all things Normatic. Top notch.

About the Mega Beast promo: very funny that you used the old promo and put in "nine" for the year. But ya better come up with an awesome new one in 2010 ;P
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

jonathancg

Post by jonathancg » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:05 am

I couldn't get into this one. And as much as I normally love Norm's narration, this time. It. Seemed. Too. Slow. But I think this is more due to trying to listen to this piece while working through the filter of administering a cantankerous MS SQL instance. So the author (and narrator) definitely shouldn't worry about it.
Author of "On Dasher", "Old Clara's Favorites", and a host of other tales available online and in print. Check out my site at http://jonathancg.net

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:49 pm

This is probably near the top of my personal drabblecast list. I'd say that it has a lot of atmosphere but that's been done before. Besides, it's an obvious pun. But I particularly liked the music and just the laid back feeling of deep southern demi-gods. Thumbs up!
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:51 am

D'accord\
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

revsleestaxx

Post by revsleestaxx » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:06 pm

This story and podcastle's #62 "The Fiddler of Bayou Teche" has me really charged for southern stories and maybe inspiration for some southern tales of my own.
I would have really liked to story to maybe explain storm breaking and maybe 'splain the grove in the ground a bit more but over all I liked the story of a storm to come a calling and singing the blues on my front porch.
-now googling southern tales and American folklore.
The Reverend's Razor
"If you don't know where it is, you don't know where it's not."

FeedBooks = http://www.feedbooks.com/userbooks/rece ... user=37332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:28 pm

revsleestaxx wrote:This story and podcastle's #62 "The Fiddler of Bayou Teche" has me really charged for southern stories and maybe inspiration for some southern tales of my own.
I would have really liked to story to maybe explain storm breaking and maybe 'splain the grove in the ground a bit more but over all I liked the story of a storm to come a calling and singing the blues on my front porch.
Yes, this is also fascinating to an englishman. try http://www.southernfriedweirdness.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

My ignorance of the American south is amply evidenced by one of my first drabbles here...
http://drabblecast.freeforums.org/ccs-r ... -t414.html
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

myke_deschain

Post by myke_deschain » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:18 am

Phenopath wrote:
revsleestaxx wrote:This story and podcastle's #62 "The Fiddler of Bayou Teche" has me really charged for southern stories and maybe inspiration for some southern tales of my own.
Yes, this is also fascinating to an englishman. try http://www.southernfriedweirdness.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

My ignorance of the American south is amply evidenced by one of my first drabbles here...
http://drabblecast.freeforums.org/ccs-r ... -t414.html
Ha! I'm glad to hear some others thought of this story too while listening... Maybe it was just the narration but it made me think back to that podcastle and how much i really like down-south tales...

With that said, I really liked this story... Quite possibly one of my top 2 I've heard so far... The Details of the storm man really painted a mental image of him in my mind.. I honestly would love an entire novel of this; the main character going round breaking storms and other ethereal creatures in the south... Though he did seem to be getting rather arthritic so maybe he might be to old for that kinda adventuring... Though then again that's what prequels are for... eh, eh? mr. Tolbert i hope your reading this...

Poppydragon

Post by Poppydragon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:53 pm

Another piece of artwork with this one, so many richly drawn pictures. Some of the best imagary I've heard in a long time and like "Over the Walls of Eden" it just worked perfectly for me. As above it reminded me of the feel of "The Fiddler of Bayou Teche" from PC but if anything even richer in its picture painting.

Alasdair5000

Post by Alasdair5000 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:48 pm

Wow.

WOW.

Superb story, brilliantly read, brilliantly produced. Everyone involved should be very proud.