Fairy Power

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Post Reply
juliasd
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Fairy Power

Post by juliasd » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:57 am

“What I want to know is: why do the power stations still work? There’s nothin’ fueling them, yet all ‘round Ireland the power flows,” says a stout man, standing at the bar. He takes a deep swig of dark brown ale and raises his glass to the room.

“Fairies,” I answer.

All the patrons of my pub roar with laughter, all but the small man in the back. He’s slumped over a scarred wooden table littered with empty pint glasses. He looks up from under the peaked hat he wears cocked over his eyes and shoots me a warning glare.

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Fairy Power

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:13 am

Never cross a faerie. Half-way to never-never land you're liable to find out they cut your magic dust with Comet.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
TheJebi
Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Fairy Power

Post by TheJebi » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:04 am

I like the feel of the Irish bar, with magic in the air... although it seems to me that if at least some of the fairies have a taste for the spirits, then they would need money to buy the drinks, so they should maybe come out in the open with their power scheme, and charge a little for it. Since it seems very odd that the plants are running off nothing, they might as well put people's minds to rest and make a buck at the same time :) .
“I’m not TheJebi because I like the hum of a lightsaber in my hand… and I’m not TheJebi because I like being TheJebi. I’m TheJebi because the Galaxy needs me to be TheJebi.”

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Fairy Power

Post by strawman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:18 pm

TheJebi wrote:I like the feel of the Irish bar, with magic in the air... although it seems to me that if at least some of the fairies have a taste for the spirits, then they would need money to buy the drinks, so they should maybe come out in the open with their power scheme, and charge a little for it. Since it seems very odd that the plants are running off nothing, they might as well put people's minds to rest and make a buck at the same time :) .
Just remember, no one thought to tax the bees for their honey until they came out in the open with their honey scheme.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

juliasd
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Fairy Power

Post by juliasd » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:09 pm

TheJebi wrote:I like the feel of the Irish bar, with magic in the air... although it seems to me that if at least some of the fairies have a taste for the spirits, then they would need money to buy the drinks, so they should maybe come out in the open with their power scheme, and charge a little for it. Since it seems very odd that the plants are running off nothing, they might as well put people's minds to rest and make a buck at the same time :) .
Thanks Jebi! :)

And... just to clarify, they don't need money. They're fairies. You don't give them a drink at the local pub, they curse you for all eternity, turn your offspring into frogs and (now) shut down your power. Drinks are on the house.

User avatar
TheJebi
Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:17 am

Re: Fairy Power

Post by TheJebi » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:16 pm

juliasd wrote: Thanks Jebi! :)

And... just to clarify, they don't need money. They're fairies. You don't give them a drink at the local pub, they curse you for all eternity, turn your offspring into frogs and (now) shut down your power. Drinks are on the house.
Well sure, classically that has been the case, but think about how much bad PR that is, you can't go around cursing people and expect you pubic image to go unscathed... Hmmm, okay seems like I have a little story about fairy execs, and I should probably just go write it. So again, liked your story.
“I’m not TheJebi because I like the hum of a lightsaber in my hand… and I’m not TheJebi because I like being TheJebi. I’m TheJebi because the Galaxy needs me to be TheJebi.”

juliasd
Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Fairy Power

Post by juliasd » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:37 pm

TheJebi wrote: Well sure, classically that has been the case, but think about how much bad PR that is, you can't go around cursing people and expect you pubic image to go unscathed... Hmmm, okay seems like I have a little story about fairy execs, and I should probably just go write it. So again, liked your story.
Fairy execs. Pure awesomeness. Let me know when you write it. I'd love to see it.

User avatar
themorg
Member
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 am
Location: Portland OR

Re: Fairy Power

Post by themorg » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:51 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:you're liable to find out they cut your magic dust with Comet.
so your bathroom is only half as magical...
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Post Reply