Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 1

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Post Reply
User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 1

Post by dreamrock » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:39 am

(Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 2, pt 3)

Capt. McClain was the envy of every sensible man and of several less sensible women.

Who could help but admire a man with the untamed sagacity to sharpen his bayonet on his teeth? Not to mention having the teeth to accomplish the task.

Very few envied his regimen. Getting up at three every morning to walk a dozen miles in lead-weighted trousers before milking the cows by just looking at them?

And that was the least substantial of his extraordinary chores.

What McClain did with the milk is a serious mystery. Mrs. McClain said he took his cereal with vinegar.

--
"They can chew on my wrist if my fist is down their throats."
-Capt. McClain

(P.S. I invented Capt. McClain for the express purpose of putting quotes in his mouth like the above. If you manage to find out anything about the real McClain pictured in the link, I'll be surprised, and grateful.)

Awesome reading by Phenopath on The Dribblecast.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
eric_marsh
Member
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: La Drova, Valencia, Spain
Contact:

Re: Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 1

Post by eric_marsh » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:49 am

That's quite a drabble there. Much more complex than most.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 1

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:50 am

dreamrock wrote:Capt. McClain was the envy of every sensible man and of several less sensible women.

Who could help but admire a man with the untamed sagacity to sharpen his bayonet on his teeth? Not to mention having the teeth to accomplish the task.

Very few envied his regimine. Getting up at three every morning to walk a dozen miles in lead-weighted trousers before milking the cows by just looking at them?

And that was the least sustantial of his extraordinary chores.

What McClain did with the milk is a serious mystery. Mrs. McClain said he took his cereal with vinegar.

--
"They can chew on my wrist if my fist is down their throats."
-Capt. McClain

(P.S. I invented Capt. McClain for the express purpose of putting quotes in his mouth like the above. If you manage to find out anything about the real McClain pictured in the link, I'll be surprised, and grateful.)
Typo alert. Curious what more there is to this curious captain. You postem, we'll readem.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 1

Post by dreamrock » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:29 am

eric_marsh wrote:That's quite a drabble there. Much more complex than most.
I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It's hard to keep Capt. McClain stories on track and still appropriately spastic, and I'm too close to it at the moment to know if I succeeded.
ROU Killing Time wrote:Typo alert.
Dammit. That's what I get for trusting Chrome to spell check for me. Twice. :oops:
ROU Killing Time wrote:Curious what more there is to this curious captain. You postem, we'll readem.
Sweet. I have the second one written but I'm not quite happy with it yet, so it may be a bit.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3514
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 1

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:31 am

Very nice!

I like the Chuck Norris / Louis L'Amour vibe.

That picture just won't do, though. Maybe more like this one.

dreamrock wrote:... Very few envied his regimine. ...
"Regimen" is misspell-erized.

User avatar
eric_marsh
Member
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: La Drova, Valencia, Spain
Contact:

Re: Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 1

Post by eric_marsh » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:52 am

dreamrock wrote:
eric_marsh wrote:That's quite a drabble there. Much more complex than most.
I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It's hard to keep Capt. McClain stories on track and still appropriately spastic, and I'm too close to it at the moment to know if I succeeded.
It's a good thing. I think that one of the challenges to writing drabbles is to flesh in the details as much as possible while still having enough words left to tell a story.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 1

Post by dreamrock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:36 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:"Regimen" is misspell-erized.
Fraaaak. It's fixed now. I guess I need to figure out how to install spell check in Notepad++ and hope it does a better job than Chrome. :cry:
eric_marsh wrote:It's a good thing. I think that one of the challenges to writing drabbles is to flesh in the details as much as possible while still having enough words left to tell a story.
Thanks!
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3514
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 1

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:23 am

dreamrock wrote:
Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:"Regimen" is misspell-erized.
Fraaaak. It's fixed now. I guess I need to figure out how to install spell check in Notepad++ and hope it does a better job than Chrome. :cry:
Or just use Firefox, which: (1) does a much better job (and caught that mistake in the first place, for me), (2) has better plugins, (3) doesn't sell every keystroke to the Grab-All corporation ("Do no evil", my butt).

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 1

Post by dreamrock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:48 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:Or just use Firefox, which: (1) does a much better job (and caught that mistake in the first place, for me), (2) has better plugins, (3) doesn't sell every keystroke to the Grab-All corporation ("Do no evil", my butt).
:lol: I would, but Firefox gets very poor performance on my netbook. Opera is my usual favorite though.

I regularly use more browsers than most people I know (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome, and ... even IE when I'm doing web development), so I tend to use whatever one works best under the circumstances.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3514
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 1

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:12 am

dreamrock wrote:I regularly use more browsers than most people I know (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome, and ... even IE when I'm doing web development), so I tend to use whatever one works best under the circumstances.
Bah, how can you do web development without the web-developer toolbar and Firebug (Both Firefox extensions)? And for me, Firefox (with script and ad-blocking plugins) is 11% faster than Chrome (with no plugins) -- except when running some Google apps (BTW, checkout Grab-all's atrocious javascript).

I guess I'm lucky... I web develop exclusively in FF, but with 100% validation, then do an idiot check, literally, with IE, then a snapshot check with one of those multi-browser checking services. It's worked out well and I get to drop IE6 support. (We've found that most of our IE6 "users" are bots, anyway.)

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 1

Post by dreamrock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:28 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:
dreamrock wrote:I regularly use more browsers than most people I know (Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome, and ... even IE when I'm doing web development), so I tend to use whatever one works best under the circumstances.
Bah, how can you do web development without the web-developer toolbar and Firebug (Both Firefox extensions)? And for me, Firefox (with script and ad-blocking plugins) is 11% faster than Chrome (with no plugins) -- except when running some Google apps (BTW, checkout Grab-all's atrocious javascript).

I guess I'm lucky... I web develop exclusively in FF, but with 100% validation, then do an idiot check, literally, with IE, then a snapshot check with one of those multi-browser checking services. It's worked out well and I get to drop IE6 support. (We've found that most of our IE6 "users" are bots, anyway.)
I do my very occasional web development using notepad++ and FF. Firebug for the win.

The issue with Firefox on my netbook is that the damned memory leaks still haven't been fixed. Even with the light use I put it to on my netbook, I have to kill it regularly to keep it running half way decent and that's pretty disruptive to what I use the netbook for.

Believe me, I'm not a huge Chrome fan. ;)

EDIT: Well, to my substantial embarrassment, Notepad++ either now comes with a spell check, or I already went through the hoops to set it up and forgot about it ... OR installing something else installed ASpell without my noticing it and Notepad++ is just so awesome it knew how to interface with it without further trouble on my part. Spell checks will be more awesome from here on out, though. Huzzah.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
themorg
Member
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 am
Location: Portland OR

Re: Adventures of Capt. McClain, pt 1

Post by themorg » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:47 am

dreamrock wrote:Dammit. That's what I get for trusting Chrome to spell check for me. Twice. :oops:
it is not as good yet as other spell checking software but unless you want to always have office open, copy paste back and forth and Chrome is pretty darn good. it is kind of like i like a corperation that makes things that work most of the time in an unexpectedly good way rather than the attitude "you have to use explorer or i just don't know if you can successfully surf the web." (that was from a phone call to microsoft call center that i called)

PS i really liked the Drabble. it made me want to ride an electric dolphin near the grocery store.
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Post Reply