An Objective Opinion

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Post Reply
User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

An Objective Opinion

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:26 am

Doctor Fornib had worked for years on his machine.

With trembling hands, he turned the switch of the Objectivizer to the “on” position.

“I know all. Without bias or ideology, I can solve any philosophical dispute put before me,” the machine intoned in a mechanical voice.

It continued, “Ask me whatever moral, theological, or political dilemma troubles you, oh creator, and I shall give you my objective opinion and suggest the proper course of action that you should pursue.”

“So,“ Fornib began, “What’s with those 80’s hair bands? Are they really valid heirs’ apparent to the likes of Led Zeppelin?”
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
eric_marsh
Member
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: La Drova, Valencia, Spain
Contact:

Re: An Objective Opinion

Post by eric_marsh » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:31 am

"No," the machine replied, "they are the misguided heirs of Led Zeppelin."
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: An Objective Opinion

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:39 am

I hope I don't start a nuclear flame-war with the theme and content of this drabble. (Some people take their Led Zeppelin or their hair bands seriously, after all...)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
eric_marsh
Member
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: La Drova, Valencia, Spain
Contact:

Re: An Objective Opinion

Post by eric_marsh » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:40 am

Not to worry - we all know that the drabble is a fantasy. There can be no heirs to Led Zeppelin because when the band died, so did rock and roll! :)
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3514
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: An Objective Opinion

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:20 am

eric_marsh wrote:Not to worry - we all know that tbe drabble is a fantasy. There can be no heirs to Led Zeppelin because when the band died, so did rock and roll! :)
Au contraire, my Aqua album puts the lie to that!

But it is a fantasy that that was a drabble.
ROU Killing Time wrote:Doctor Fornib had worked for years on his machine.

With trembling hands, he turned the switch of the Objectivizer to the “on” position.

“I know all. Without bias or ideology, I can solve any philosophical dispute put before me,” the machine intoned in a mechanical voice.

It continued, “Ask me whatever moral, theological, or political dilemma troubles you, oh creator, and I shall give you my objective opinion and suggest the proper course of action that you should pursue.”

“So, “ Fornib began, “What’s with 80’s hair bands? Are they really valid heirs’ apparent to the likes of Led Zeppelin?”
Only has 99 words. :wink:

User avatar
dreamrock
Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: An Objective Opinion

Post by dreamrock » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am

Mm, yum. We do use our inventions for such trivial purposes from time to time.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: An Objective Opinion

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:39 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:
eric_marsh wrote:Not to worry - we all know that tbe drabble is a fantasy. There can be no heirs to Led Zeppelin because when the band died, so did rock and roll! :)
Au contraire, my Aqua album puts the lie to that!

But it is a fantasy that that was a drabble.
ROU Killing Time wrote:Doctor Fornib had worked for years on his machine.

With trembling hands, he turned the switch of the Objectivizer to the “on” position.

“I know all. Without bias or ideology, I can solve any philosophical dispute put before me,” the machine intoned in a mechanical voice.

It continued, “Ask me whatever moral, theological, or political dilemma troubles you, oh creator, and I shall give you my objective opinion and suggest the proper course of action that you should pursue.”

“So, “ Fornib began, “What’s with 80’s hair bands? Are they really valid heirs’ apparent to the likes of Led Zeppelin?”
Only has 99 words. :wink:
http://www.wordcounttool.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false and MS word both say 100 words. (Not that there's any need for a solid internet tool to be a final arbrator or anything, I mean, who writes fricken drabbles anyway... Everyone knows the big mone is in twabbling...) :P
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3514
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: An Objective Opinion

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:47 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:http://www.wordcounttool.com and MS word both say 100 words. (Not that there's any need for a solid internet tool to be a final arbrator or anything, I mean, who writes fricken drabbles anyway... Everyone knows the big mone is in twabbling...) :P
http://www.wordcounttool.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false is fooled by "Smart" apostrophes. Replace those with decent, red-blooded, AMERICAN apostrophes, and you'll see that it's only 99 words.

Microcrap *invented* the non-standard, improperly-handled version of "smart" quotes. So, naturally, it's even more fooled by them than most cheaper apps. Microcrap even counts a single quote, surrounded by spaces, as a word!

Anywho, here is your not-drabble, cleansed of "smart" quotes. Paste it into both tools and you shall see that you came up short. :P :wink:
Doctor Fornib had worked for years on his machine.

With trembling hands, he turned the switch of the Objectivizer to the "on" position.

"I know all. Without bias or ideology, I can solve any philosophical dispute put before me," the machine intoned in a mechanical voice.

It continued, "Ask me whatever moral, theological, or political dilemma troubles you, oh creator, and I shall give you my objective opinion and suggest the proper course of action that you should pursue."

"So," Fornib began, "What's with 80's hair bands? Are they really valid heirs' apparent to the likes of Led Zeppelin?"
~~~
As for the custom drabble tool, you already know what you must do. You must actually vote, for December, on Podcast alley and then persuade 2 other people to do so (bring the December total to at least 11).
Alternatively, you can cough up my $219 fee. 8)

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: An Objective Opinion

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:30 am

I actually did try and vote. Told me to reply to the email I'd be getting. Then never got an email. Tried to vote again, and it said "sorry, you already voted..."

/shrug
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
Algernon Sydney is Dead
Moderator
Posts: 3514
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:22 pm
Location: PRK (California)

Re: An Objective Opinion

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:42 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:I actually did try and vote. Told me to reply to the email I'd be getting. Then never got an email. Tried to vote again, and it said "sorry, you already voted..."

/shrug
Well, you can try voting with one of my emails and your IP -- be sure to clear your browser cookies first.

Also, even if you can't vote, can you get 3 other people to?

User avatar
eric_marsh
Member
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm
Location: La Drova, Valencia, Spain
Contact:

Re: An Objective Opinion

Post by eric_marsh » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:24 pm

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote: Au contraire, my Aqua album puts the lie to that!
Well I guess that's the one fact that destroys the theory.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

User avatar
Phenopath
Member
Posts: 1059
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: An Objective Opinion

Post by Phenopath » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:08 pm

I love the idea of this machine. It is a nonsense, whilst one imagines that machines are totally objective I suspect that in practice they would suffer the same bias and prejudices of their creators. Therefore, in this story the machine would of course confirm Dr Fornib's opinion that Led Zeppelin were unsurpassed until Spinal Tap.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

User avatar
TheJebi
Member
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:17 am

Re: An Objective Opinion

Post by TheJebi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:42 am

There was a similar scene in the Red Dwarf audio book, "Better than Life", in which the ship's computer becomes much smarter, and asks the toaster what great secret of universe would it like to know the answer to. So of course the toaster inevitably asks, "Would you like some toast?"
“I’m not TheJebi because I like the hum of a lightsaber in my hand… and I’m not TheJebi because I like being TheJebi. I’m TheJebi because the Galaxy needs me to be TheJebi.”

Post Reply