Harry and the Internet

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
eric_marsh

Harry and the Internet

Post by eric_marsh » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:45 pm

The Internet watches over Harry.

Harry was slow to realize that it's talking to him. He began noticing patterns in the data that it provided. The Internet speaks in it's own secret way.

Harry knows that the Internet sends messages only he can understand. It tells Harry the things that it wants him to do.

The Internet takes care of Harry. When he kills it sends the police elsewhere.

Credit cards often arrive in the mail. The Internet provides Harry with the money he needs to execute his missions.

Harry's work is important. He's helping the Internet change the world.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

Mr. Tweedy

Re: Harry and the Internet

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:31 am

I like it for its creepy weirdness. Has kind of a Philip K. Dick vibe: Doesn't really make sense, but it doesn't have too because it's purpose is to make you feel a generalized paranoia, not focussed on any particular object. I dig.

One flaw: Be consistent with tense. It kind of spoils the flow when you break out of present tense with "was" and "arrived." Don't diminish the weird.
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:08 am

Agreed. You've done a very good job of capturing paranoia here. It doesn't need to make total "sense" because the point is that it all makes perfect sense to Harry. It is all self-consistent from his point of view. The ambiguity of whether Harry is "crazy" or Harry is working with a self-aware and malevolent internet sentience is a strongpoint in the drabble.

(humorous observation on Tweedy's noted flaw. What would he have said if he was around when Philip K. Dick titled his novel "Now, Wait for Last Year.")

I leave grammer to the big boys and the mouldering school teachers...
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:38 am

Glad you guys liked it and got a sense of where I was trying to go with it. I wasn't sure if it would fly or not. A Beautiful Mind came to mind when I was writing it.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:26 am

eric_marsh wrote:Glad you guys liked it and got a sense of where I was trying to go with it. I wasn't sure if it would fly or not. A Beautiful Mind came to mind when I was writing it.
I've talked this issue over with Tom before. An important thing to keep in mind, if someone you know is having delusionary symptoms is that argument is fruitless, indeed counterproductive. The internal consistency and logic and the person undergoing delusions is experiencing won't allow outside counter-arguments to threaten the them.

You captured that "No one else understands, but I do" paranoid feeling very well in the Drab.

Good one.

Creepy. :)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.