Conception: A Drabble Duet

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Conception: A Drabble Duet

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:20 am

"Part 1: Moonchild"

History would call it the spermiad meteor shower.

Fortunately, for those that lived on the earth, all of the meteors that would have struck our world burned up on the atmosphere.

The moon had no such defense against the cosmic rapist the rained down upon her virgin surface.

Luna sprouted limbs, arms and legs, such as they were, and a face, of sorts.

Most observers agreed that the child was, most probably, a boy.

On cloudless nights the denizens of earth avoided looking up at the moon, which howled in agony, at the wolves that lived so very far below.

"Part 2: Sunflower"

A gravitational spasm from outside our dimension sent the comets spiraling towards the sun.

For a short time, history recorded the spectacle of the comets passing the earth on their way to their solar destiny.

Hundreds of tailed comets filled the night sky, and one found its way to the sun first.

Newspapers printed the solar flower that bloomed in the sky. “A Beautiful Spring Rose” ran as the headline around the world that day the sun blossomed in the sky.

By autumn, there was no one left to see Sol go to seed and spread pollen across the galaxy.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Phenopath

Re: Cosmic Conception: A Drabble Duet

Post by Phenopath » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:36 pm

I like the first drabble a lot. And I almost like the last sentence a lot too, however I did not get the closing concept:

"... at the wolves that lived so very far below."

I agree that the moonchild would howl, but why at the wolves?
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:57 pm

I'm not so wild about the first one - it's OK I guess. I like the second one much better.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:55 am

Phenopath wrote:I like the first drabble a lot. And I almost like the last sentence a lot too, however I did not get the closing concept:

"... at the wolves that lived so very far below."

I agree that the moonchild would howl, but why at the wolves?
Cuz usually it's the wolves that howl at the moon? that was my thinking anyway.

juliasd

Post by juliasd » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:36 pm

I love the Drabble Duet idea! The stories were both wonderful. I liked the first half better than the second half. I just think that if we had a solar "flower", newspapers wouldn't be lauding its beauty, they'd be prophesying the end of the world. That said, they are both beautiful pieces. Thanks RU!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:35 pm

juliasd wrote:I love the Drabble Duet idea! The stories were both wonderful. I liked the first half better than the second half. I just think that if we had a solar "flower", newspapers wouldn't be lauding its beauty, they'd be prophesying the end of the world. That said, they are both beautiful pieces. Thanks RU!
Glad you enjoyed them. I thought I had come up with an original idea when I did my first duet, "The Miser & The Lapidary" (turn back the way-back machine and you'll find that one in the drabble forum) but it turns out Norm did it first with "Icarus Syndrome" way way way back.

This one came from the basic idea, "what if comets or asteroids were space sperm" and I couldn't decided whether to do the moon or the sun as the cosmic egg. So, I went with both of them.