The Tomb

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
eric_marsh

The Tomb

Post by eric_marsh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:51 am

Before history everything was wild and food was plentiful. It's said God created paradise so that we would multiply.

Generations passed and the world became more crowded. Our philosophers asked "Who are we?" Our scholars asked "What is the world?"

A group of scientists said that because resources are finite we must limit our numbers. Religious leaders retorted that God commands us to multiply. Ultimately we lacked the political will to change.

We tried to escape but in the end we choked on our own wastes.

The home of our people became a tomb. Our Epitaph reads Chateau Margaus 1995.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

dreamrock

Re: The Tomb

Post by dreamrock » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:15 am

Oh, have I got a picture that goes along with that. :lol: Well, I should have a picture. Let's see ...

Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:49 am

I HATE false allegories that subtly push the eco-terrorist lies. :roll: :wink:

Most of the bacteria are removed from the wine before it is bottled, and the system is the very epitome of central control, not natural in any way.

So on a technical or factual level the story doesn't work. But what damns it is: this is the exact same kind of propaganda that evil uses to try and trick us into slavery.

One valid lesson in the story: Sure, your god may command you to multiply, but that does not mean he won't kill you and eat you in the end. :D

PS: There is nothing wrong with "morality tales" that illustrate the virtues of individual liberty or heavy industry. :wink: :)

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:59 am

I interpreted it as a story about yeast. The yeast dies when it reaches the point where the alcohol is too strong for it to produce any more. But no one thinks, "Oh, poor poor yeast!" What they think is "Mm, wine." :lol:

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:13 am

dreamrock wrote:I interpreted it as a story about yeast. The yeast dies when it reaches the point where the alcohol is too strong for it to produce any more. But no one thinks, "Oh, poor poor yeast!" What they think is "Mm, wine." :lol:
But yeast left to its own devices does not do that. It self limits and/or spores. Also, the yeast is not entombed in the final bottle (except for fractional amounts that aren't always dead, IIRC). There is way more yeast alive in you, right now, than is in a typical white-wine bottle.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:35 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:
dreamrock wrote:I interpreted it as a story about yeast. The yeast dies when it reaches the point where the alcohol is too strong for it to produce any more. But no one thinks, "Oh, poor poor yeast!" What they think is "Mm, wine." :lol:
But yeast left to its own devices does not do that. It self limits and/or spores. Also, the yeast is not entombed in the final bottle (except for fractional amounts that aren't always dead, IIRC). There is way more yeast alive in you, right now, than are in a typical white-wine bottle.
I only know about yeast in a theoretical-brewing sense (ie working on brewing mead and beer sometime this coming year) and in a practical baking sense (both using store bought yeast, and capturing wild varieties by starting a from-scratch sourdough starter). The prevailing theory in DIY brewing is that the yeast reaches equilibrium with the alcohol and pretty much "dies" but can be "resurrected" (zombie yeast! haha) by introducing more sugars, etc. But they're not scientists so I'll take your word for it. :lol:

Yeast is as omnipresent as midichlorians in a crappy Star Wars prequel so it stands to figure there'd be some on and in me.

Mmm, yeast. I'm tempted to go bake some bread now, but I don't have quite enough time tonight.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:54 am

dreamrock wrote:Yeast is as omnipresent as midichlorians in a crappy Star Wars prequel so it stands to figure there'd be some on and in me.
There is more yeast and bacteria in you, than you in you (by cell count). You've got at least 4 pounds of the buggers in you** and they outvote you at least 10 to one. Pleasant dreams. :mrgreen:

** Guestimating your weight.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:26 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:One valid lesson in the story: Sure, your god may command you to multiply, but that does not mean he won't kill you and eat you in the end. :D
Yep! :o
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:52 am

eric_marsh wrote:
Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:One valid lesson in the story: Sure, your god may command you to multiply, but that does not mean he won't kill you and eat you in the end. :D
Yep! :o
This theme was explored in 1980 by Philip K. Dick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rautavaara's_Case
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:00 pm

I like it.

It reminds me of the Philip K. Dick story where the aliens pick up the injured human and put her mind into a virtual environment while her body heals. The aliens are a bit confused by human religion, and, to comfort her, they show her an image of Jesus eating her fellow crew. The idea of worshippers eating Jesus makes no sense to them, so they "fix" the sacrament and make it logical, with Jesus eating the worshippers.

I like this better, though. It's funny.
Advertise in this space!

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:56 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:It reminds me of the Philip K. Dick story...
Is that the same story that ROU mentioned, Rautavaara's Case?

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:01 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote: I like this better, though. It's funny.
Thanks - it was intended to amuse, not start a flame war.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:16 am

eric_marsh wrote:Thanks - it was intended to amuse, not start a flame war.
And it didn't start a flame war. Everybody expressed their opinion, on the piece, and no one used personal attacks. Apparently there is more to say here?

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:22 am

OK, I guess it wasn't a flame war. You first response did seem a bit heated, though I noted the smilies. I'm not sure if there is more to say or not. I'll leave that to others. I am considering your idea of a morality tale about heavy industry though.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:23 am

Eric, surely you are aware of the three 'contentious' topics on the forums; god (yea or nay), Palin vs Obama and yeast.

I pity the fool who combines all three in one drabble.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:30 am

Phenopath wrote:Eric, surely you are aware of the three 'contentious' topics on the forums; god (yea or nay), Palin vs Obama and yeast.

I pity the fool who combines all three in one drabble.
I mentioned that to Janet and she sent me this:

Obama paced the garden, wondering how he got there. He pursed his lips in concentration. His first memory was smelling yeast as he sat up in a mud puddle.

He paced some more. "Is someone out there?" he called, but there was no answer. "Please, if someone is out there, I'm lonely." He did this for hours, then finally gave up and fell asleep.

When Obama awoke the next morning another person was beside him. "Where did you come from?" he asked.

"I smell yeast," she said.

"You sure are Pale," he said.

"You betcha," she replied with a wink.

Algernon Sydney is Dead

Post by Algernon Sydney is Dead » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:44 am

eric_marsh wrote:I mentioned that to Janet and she sent me this: ...
A little trippy but not bad.

Why not post this in it's own thread? It's not the worst drabble, posted here. :)

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:48 am

Algernon Sydney is Dead wrote:
Mr. Tweedy wrote:It reminds me of the Philip K. Dick story...
Is that the same story that ROU mentioned, Rautavaara's Case?
Yes, that is the same story.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:57 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:I like it.

It reminds me of the Philip K. Dick story where the aliens pick up the injured human and put her mind into a virtual environment while her body heals. The aliens are a bit confused by human religion, and, to comfort her, they show her an image of Jesus eating her fellow crew. The idea of worshippers eating Jesus makes no sense to them, so they "fix" the sacrament and make it logical, with Jesus eating the worshippers.

I like this better, though. It's funny.
Yes, quite humorous. Whenever I feel frustrated at my perpertual angst over the existential condition, I often remind myself that it could be worse. I could have been PKD. There was one seriously troubled soul.

It's nice that he got to experience some mainstream recognition near the end of his life, even though it must have been disappointing to him that Blade Runner was such a collosal box office flop (I don't think it lasted 3 weeks in the theatres.) As a writer, he's a classic case of "Van Gogh" syndrome.

At least his kids are now well taken care of (and his kids children, and theirs on down several generations.)

His CV is worth millions in movie rights, though I'm sure that's not exactly a news-flash to this community.