Development

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Scattercat

Development

Post by Scattercat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:47 am

Here's one from a few days ago. My 'readers' at Mirrorshards seemed to like it. What do y'all think?

---

When the first rebar poked up through the turf, only old Pickles noticed. Nobody paid the dog any mind to start with.

When everyone had gathered around the site, the first webbing of new-grown concrete was just visible.

“Reckon it’s a stripper,” said Cornelius. “I’ll fetch m’tractor.”

Knocking it down didn’t do much. Neither did weed-killer, fire, or the barrel of hydrochloric from the old plant. It just grew. Soon, even the tractor couldn’t make a dent.

One morning, everybody sighed. They put on their name-tags and pastel polo shirts, and they all trooped into the waiting stores. Pickles hid under his porch and howled.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Development

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:20 am

I always wondered where those strip malls came from. Now we know. Pickles understands the true danger of them, though. Strip malls are useless in a zombie apocalypse. Totally indefensible. Give me an enclosed mall any day.

Welcome to the Drabbles forum.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:08 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Welcome to the Drabbles forum.
Thanks!

I'm here explicitly because Norm entertained me mightily in his brief stint hosting Escape Pod and now that I'm all caught up over there, I need something to listen to while I exercise. ;-)

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:08 am

ROU Killing Time wrote: I always wondered where those strip malls came from. Now we know. Pickles understands the true danger of them, though. Strip malls are useless in a zombie apocalypse. Totally indefensible. Give me an enclosed mall any day.

Welcome to the Drabbles forum..
I disagree completely. During the last apocalypse it was all i ate and they avoided me until i ran out of pickles. i think it was the smell.

Agreed.
Welcome, how were you allowed of the floating castle?

PS a fan of this drabble
Drabbillus Haventnpigeonholdhimus
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

munsi

Post by munsi » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:10 am

definately a great one! good to have you on the board, from somebody who, having joined two weeks ago, will now arrogently assume he has the right to welcome "newbies" :P

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:34 am

munsi wrote:definately a great one! good to have you on the board, from somebody who, having joined two weeks ago, will now arrogently assume he has the right to welcome "newbies" :P
it is the reason people want to stay here and the d-bags are on 4chan
http://www.drabblesbymorg.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

munsi

Post by munsi » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:51 am

hey! my d-baggery is much more good natured than that of the people on 4chan! :P

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:03 am

munsi wrote:hey! my d-baggery is much more good natured than that of the people on 4chan! :P
i am not calling you a D-Bag nor anyone on this forum really.(except google as sence becaus i dont want to meet Christian Singles near my area. but not even you are a d-bag really) i am fairly sure 4chan has a kill counter of people they have actually killed.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:40 am

munsi wrote:definately a great one! good to have you on the board, from somebody who, having joined two weeks ago, will now arrogently assume he has the right to welcome "newbies" :P
Someone who joined two weeks ago and immediately wrote a drabble that was picked up for the podcast.

Sheesh, the nerve of some people.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:45 am

themorg wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote: Pickles are useless in a zombie apocalypse.
I disagree completely. During the last apocalypse it was all i ate and they avoided me until i ran out of pickles. i think it was the smell.
Why, I do believe I've been misquoted. I'm calling my lawyer to draft up a law-suit. The Pickle Defamation League has taken a hit out on me because of this calumny.

Outrageous.

My daughter was made almost entirely of pickles, during my wife's pregnancy I had to cart multiple garbage bags of spent pickle jars out of the house on a weekly basis.

Don't believe him, people. I've done more for the pickle industry than you can imagine.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:51 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
themorg wrote:
Why, I do believe I've been misquoted. I'm calling my lawyer to draft up a law-suit. The Pickle Defamation League has taken a hit out on me because of this calumny.

Outrageous.

My daughter was made almost entirely of pickles, during my wife's pregnancy I had to cart multiple garbage bags of spent pickle jars out of the house on a weekly basis.

Don't believe him, people. I've done more for the pickle industry than you can imagine.
I feel somewhat dumb for the amount of time it took me to figure out what actually happened here. :oops:
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:56 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
themorg wrote:

Outrageous.

it appears to me you have merely miss quoted yourself. "thanks you garage sale time machine.

i have never on the forum seen anyone miss quoted. so i decided to see what would happen.. sorry for your pain and suffering

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:02 pm

dreamrock wrote:I feel somewhat dumb for the amount of time it took me to figure out what actually happened here. :oops:
Don't worry it is a time dilation problem. it happens with these cheap Time traveling devices, The more expensive ones create a new world in the multi-verse but their literature never really says that.

PS there is a legal president about Time dialation suffering that is Lawsuit free. The People vs. Munsi i dont think he knows about as he has not lived through it.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:12 pm

themorg wrote:
dreamrock wrote:I feel somewhat dumb for the amount of time it took me to figure out what actually happened here. :oops:
Don't worry it is a time dilation problem. it happens with these cheap Time traveling devices, The more expensive ones create a new world in the multi-verse but their literature never really says that.

PS there is a legal president about Time dialation suffering that is Lawsuit free. The People vs. Munsi i dont think he knows about as he has not lived through it.
Don't make me buy your great-grandfather a pack of Trojans...

themorg

Post by themorg » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:14 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
themorg wrote:

Don't make me buy your great-grandfather a pack of Trojans...
i am not the one who invented time travel. Blame Munsi

munsi

Post by munsi » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:09 pm

don't blame munsi! how many times i gotta apologize for stepping on that butterfly in the peleolithic era?

munsi

Post by munsi » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:16 pm

...nobody tell me how this trial ends, i just got served for it and it doesn't go to court for another 4 weeks!

themorg

Post by themorg » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:15 am

munsi wrote:don't blame munsi! how many times i gotta apologize for stepping on that butterfly in the peleolithic era?
that has been taken care of and i will not tell you what happens