Psychic

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Mr. Tweedy

Psychic

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:53 pm

“He didn’t tell me anything,” I say.

“But he gave you a message,” she insists. “I saw it in the police report: He told you he knew his killer, that he felt betrayed.”

“I wasn’t told that. I found it. Sometimes a dying mind leaves impressions that we can measure. That’s why is called pychometry. Psycho. Metric. It’s simple physical evidence: There’s no person there.”

She stares at her hands for a moment, then whispers, “Please.”

I look at the money on the desk. Lord knows I could use it.

“What do you want me to ask him?” I say.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Psychic

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:28 pm

Like the drabble even if paid psychics make my skin crawl. I suppose I should be careful, inadvertently damaged a friendship when I went off on John Edwards for being a low-life that preys upon the suffering of people in mourning.

Oops, I did it again.

Nice to see a Tweedy drabble again.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:16 pm

That's a good one. Haven't seen you write a drabble since I don't know when. And it's funny because it's true.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:07 am

Nice one. I agree that psychics are creepy (more so than clowns perhaps), even the inadvertent psychics.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:28 am

With Robert Reed encroaching on the turf, I felt behooved to toss out something Inner World related. One of the big concepts in Inner World is "psychic objects": Thought, feelings, memories, etc are all treated as distinct things, not necessarily related or tied to any one person.

Psychometry is crucial to police work, because when a person is murdered, it's almost a given that some of the victim's mind will rub off on nearby objects, where a properly trained pneumatologist can find and interpret the residue. A pneumatologist is not able to communicate with the dead, but their ability to know what a person was thinking at the end can make it seem that way, and many people will pay be told comforting lies.
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:12 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:With Robert Reed encroaching on the turf, I felt behooved to toss out something Inner World related. One of the big concepts in Inner World is "psychic objects": Thought, feelings, memories, etc are all treated as distinct things, not necessarily related or tied to any one person.

Psychometry is crucial to police work, because when a person is murdered, it's almost a given that some of the victim's mind will rub off on nearby objects, where a properly trained pneumatologist can find and interpret the residue. A pneumatologist is not able to communicate with the dead, but their ability to know what a person was thinking at the end can make it seem that way, and many people will pay be told comforting lies.
Yes, wonderful stuff for fiction.

It's the real world "psychics" that grate on me. Like Pheno says. Creepier than clowns, (and that's saying alot...)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:53 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Like the drabble even if paid psychics make my skin crawl. I suppose I should be careful, inadvertently damaged a friendship when I went off on John Edwards for being a low-life that preys upon the suffering of people in mourning.

Oops, I did it again.
I can so see you singing Britney Spears right there.

I do believe there are things outside our understanding, and that very well may entail talking to ghosts. I dunno. But commercialized, paid "psychics" are bad stuff.
I really enjoy the TV show "The Mentalist". It does a good job of dealing with that person in a fun light.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:01 am

tbaker2500 wrote:I really enjoy the TV show "The Mentalist". It does a good job of dealing with that person in a fun light.
That show sells three-piece suits very effectively. Oh, god, I want one so bad.

Anyway, I agree it's an awesome show. Everyone go watch it. Most of the science isn't too bad, and it's incredibly entertaining.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:52 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:Like the drabble even if paid psychics make my skin crawl. I suppose I should be careful, inadvertently damaged a friendship when I went off on John Edwards for being a low-life that preys upon the suffering of people in mourning.

Oops, I did it again.
I can so see you singing Britney Spears right there.

I do believe there are things outside our understanding, and that very well may entail talking to ghosts. I dunno. But commercialized, paid "psychics" are bad stuff.
I really enjoy the TV show "The Mentalist". It does a good job of dealing with that person in a fun light.
And let's not forget "Psych." Love that guy.

Yes, there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophy, Horatio, but the "Crossing Over" guy still make me throw up a bit in my mouth...

Now tell me, how do I look in this low-cut blouse and spandex?

Here's some steel wool to scrub that image from your brain...