The Warden

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Scattercat

The Warden

Post by Scattercat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:56 am

He had words in his head. He had worlds in his head. They arced in white-hot streams, constellations of words, galaxies of unfettered thought, fueled by the very levinfire of Creation itself.

It was a struggle to keep them all inside, but he dared not loose them, lest they fade and die. In the end, he passed wordless into the night.

His nephew had just discovered the light of his own words. Grasping his pencil in stubby fingers, he sat and began to write.

The words leapt onto the page, free at last to leave their embryonic state and grow...

strawman

Re: The Warden

Post by strawman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:22 am

And thus was unleashed upon the world...the Notorious Forum Hog :)
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:06 am

I'm saddened and angered at the uncle and his miserly nature, but buoyed by the redemption sought by his nephew. What great stories had this man to tell, that he left stuffed inside his literary mattress? He should have invested them in federally insured instruments and yielded a return of the interest of his readers.

What if Shakespeare had acted this way, or Tolstoy, or Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, George, or Ringo had kept it all to themselves? (Ok, Ringo mostly did covers, but you get the point...)

As far as my own propensity for over-posting goes, how thankful I am that this sin is forgiven (for the most part) by those here in this forum. It's not often that the swine is treated so fairly. The president only pardons a turkey, and then only once a year, but the honey-baked ham is forever on the lips and it's grease on the chins of the hungry.

While quantity doesn't equate to quality, they say that practice makes perfect, and I do hope to one day be regarded as someone who can write well and perhaps produce some gold from amidst the dross.

As far as your drabble goes, Mr.Scattercat. I enjoyed it quite a lot.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:59 am

So I see... According to the old word-counter, you nearly doubled its volume in your reply. ;-)

It probably says something that I had to cut fifty words off to make it fit. Not sure what, though.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:24 am

Scattercat wrote:So I see... According to the old word-counter, you nearly doubled its volume in your reply. ;-)

It probably says something that I had to cut fifty words off to make it fit. Not sure what, though.
That you are wordier than me? (Basing this on your stated 400+ drabble backlog, if I recall your entry statement correctly...)

I almost always run over (go figure) and have to trim the fat when drabbling, too. I'm tending towards shifting to short-stories and longer these days anyway.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.