Soft Apocalypse

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Jmsbrtms

Soft Apocalypse

Post by Jmsbrtms » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:04 pm

Soft Apocalypse

In the dark years the world slowly fell apart. My Wife hated the whole thing. We had no money, internet, jobs or healthcare. We were always short food, the house slowly disintegrated around us.

Twice gangs of teen-something brutes thought they could take over a neighborhood; only to run into a group of forty year old men with families. They learned the meaning of “Old age and treachery,” the hard way.

Me? I lost weight, did a lot of fishing and reading. What the wife really hated the most is that I had the time of my life.

strawman

Re: Soft Apocalypse

Post by strawman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:09 pm

A lot of that goin' round.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:34 pm

This one I like, good theme well executed. Fantastic title too.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:10 pm

No internet means no drabblecast.

Apocalypse indeed.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:37 am

I'm honestly afraid of the people around me who I know personally are sincerely hoping for a major societal collapse of some kind. It's an attitude that I can recognize in myself yet still be repulsed by.

Jmsbrtms

Post by Jmsbrtms » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:56 pm

The soft Apocalypse is the way to go. A slow decline with the possibility of a cultural return. It would weed out the sheepel. I know guys that would love every minute of a collapse. But I like podcasts too much, and the dreams of empire would fill my head until I was killed for food.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:30 pm

We have a prophet in our midst.

Spoiler:

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:51 pm

The apocalypse is appealing because it provides a return to the days of direct action enjoyed/endured by our ancestors. In modern lands, it is very easy to feel that one's actions are of no consequence. Succeed or fail, you will survive. The worst case scenario for a suburbanite is having to use food stamps. The consequences of our actions are deferred and delayed, sometimes for years, until consequence and action become mentally dissociated. Our fates are decided by councils and juries over whose decisions we have little influence. Our ethical judgments are abstract, as often involving imaginary numbers as "real" things and deeds. It is easy to feel that life is gaseous, that we are not really contacting it as we pass through.

With an apocalypse, all that goes away. The consequence of success or failure is immediate life or death, and every decision matters, now. If you win, you win unambiguously, and if you lose, game over. Simple. Clean. That is quite alluring to many people, especially men. (Witness the ubiquity of life-or-death moments in male-centric entertainment.) I confess the idea of civilization collapsing does not inspire only horror in me. Other things too.
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote: I confess the idea of civilization collapsing does not inspire only horror in me. Other things too.
Meaning A: Civilization Collapse inspires horror in me. It also inspires other things in me.
Meaning B: Civilization Collapse inspires horror in me. Other things also inspire horror in me.
Plus a vague feeling that there may be a Meaning C that I have missed, having to do with confessing the weakness of the idea of Civilizational Collapse.

I feel as if my mind has been tossed into the Labyrinth at Knossos. Wait! what's that sound? Could it be a minotaur? Or other things too?

Spoiler: