White

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
babydyke

White

Post by babydyke » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:41 pm

The dwarfs’ dirge sounded like the earthquake singing a lullaby to the apocalypse. Within the crystal coffin, she looked alive—but she’d always been white as the worm that gnawed the mountain’s heart.

“She is beautiful,” the Necromancer Prince moaned, hot breath fogging her image. “Let me raise her and you will have her tonight. But she is mine tomorrow.”

The brothers nodded. “Losing her was pain,” they whispered, “but one more night with her is worth any loss.”

Snow White awoke to the dwarfs leaning over her bed. “Alas,” she wept, “I dreamed an old woman set me free.”
A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head. ~C.S. Lewis

uncre8d1

Re: White

Post by uncre8d1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:54 pm

Nice take on this story!
have you read 'Snow Glass Apples' by Neil Gaiman? I love that version.
This post is made of at least 60% recycled letters. Want to help keep the Internet clean? You can, by sweeping any excess letters you may find into the 'reply' box.

babydyke

Post by babydyke » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:02 pm

I have, actually, and I really like it--especially the radio version. So this isn't entirely original. But I had fun writing it.

flyawaybefree

Post by flyawaybefree » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:04 am

I like this one! and where can i find Snow Glass Apples? It sounds really interesting.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

uncre8d1

Post by uncre8d1 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:09 am

Well, the cynic in me says that everything is derivative - but as the Mighty Mur recently pointed out, without derivation there would be no 'Union Dues,' 'True Blood,' or any of a hundred other great storylines.
It's a well-done drabble, a good read, and has plenty of originality. Honestly, the only thing about it that reminded me of Gaiman (a comparison which is high praise in itself) was the general feel of the story - a kind of darker glass laid atop the story that tweaks the imagination and makes me mentally poke around the scene for concealed, half-eaten dwarf limbs...

flyaway: sorry, I'm not sure where to find it; I heard it on SciFi.com's Seeing Ear Theatre back in the days when that channel was cool. There are enough Gaiman fans out there that I'm sure it won't be too hard to track down.
This post is made of at least 60% recycled letters. Want to help keep the Internet clean? You can, by sweeping any excess letters you may find into the 'reply' box.

babydyke

Post by babydyke » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:14 pm

You can find "Snow, Glass, Apples," in Gaiman's short story collection, Mask and Mirrors; or the radio production can by found on Itunes if you search for "Neil Gaiman Murder Mysteries" (it's part one of a fantastic two-part series originally released as "Two Plays for Voices" and still up for sale under that title), as part of the Classic Radio Drama podcast. It's also available at http://www.classicradiodrama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.