The Hat

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Farseeker

The Hat

Post by Farseeker » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:23 pm

She found the hat in a second-hand store where she’d often stopped to browse. She plopped it on her head, looked in a mirror, and fell in love. She walked up to the cash register with the hat still on her head. It remained there throughout the day; through classes, dinner, and an evening at the bar with friends.

Returning home, with an appreciative glance into the mirror, she knew it was perfect. She and it would be inseparable.

Only then did she try to remove it, discovering the thousands of tendrils from the headband burrowed deep into her skin.
I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

mrsmica

Re: The Hat

Post by mrsmica » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:14 pm

DUN DUN DUN

When I was in third grade the story that gave me nightmares was the one where the ribbon is keeping her head on. :O

flyawaybefree

Post by flyawaybefree » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Yeah, this one makes me really wary of buying strange hats....
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
-Dr. Seuss

Dairmid

Post by Dairmid » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Great drabble. Is there more of a story forthcoming?

babydyke

Post by babydyke » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:11 pm

This is why I prefer to buy my hats new. You never know what a previous owner might have left in it.
A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head. ~C.S. Lewis

Farseeker

Post by Farseeker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:37 pm

One of the things I really enjoyed about writing this, and Drabbles in general, is how the brevity of the form encourages, almost forces, you to sketch so lightly that you leave more questions behind you than you have room to answer.

Where did the hat come from? How did it end up in the second hand store? What became of its former owner? Are the threads alive? Is this science fiction (e.g. some alien life form) or fantasy (the hat is cursed)? What will it do to her?

Will she be able to fall asleep with the damn thing on her head?

So no, Dairmid, it's a standalone. Nothing further planned. Let your imagination run.
I never could get the hang of Thursdays.