Bewildered, I Fall from the Sky

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
manintheshack

Bewildered, I Fall from the Sky

Post by manintheshack » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:57 am

No engine noise anymore, no comforting vibrations; only screaming and a slight, nauseating weightlessness.

I strain to think of my family back home, of my wife and beautiful baby daughter, but their faces somehow evade my mind.

What madness is this? I know I am about to die. I know I am seconds away from a sudden, fiery end, yet my thoughts are locked inexplicably on one wholly unremarkable memory: of that lunch I ate six or seven years ago in a hotel in Bristol, where the steak was tasty, if a little overcooked, and the service was perfectly reasonable.
"I kick arse for the Lord."

babydyke

Re: Bewildered, I Fall from the Sky

Post by babydyke » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:41 pm

Ha! Nice.
A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head. ~C.S. Lewis

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Is the connection between the steak and the plane crash the slight feeling of nausea?
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

manintheshack

Post by manintheshack » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:37 am

Phenopath wrote:Is the connection between the steak and the plane crash the slight feeling of nausea?
Heh, perhaps. It just occurred to me that if you were facing certain death and the first thing that entered your mind was a memory of some mundane past event then what would that say about you as a person? Or the meaning of existence? Possibly a lot, possibly nothing at all...

The funny thing is, I'm taking a trip to America in a couple of weeks and I know that if that plane goes down this story will most likely be the first thing that occurs to me.

As Douglas Adams once wrote: "I always find that the prospect of death contracts the mind wonderfully" although I do hope I'm not misattributing that... :)
"I kick arse for the Lord."

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:35 pm

Be careful, they're weird over there.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

uncre8d1

Post by uncre8d1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:20 am

*rubs hands together* mee-hee-heee... Yes, come to America, become one of us... *lightning flash*
This post is made of at least 60% recycled letters. Want to help keep the Internet clean? You can, by sweeping any excess letters you may find into the 'reply' box.