By the Time I Got to Work...

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
munsi

By the Time I Got to Work...

Post by munsi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:30 pm

…I was a wreck. Dishevelled, hair barely combed, unshaven. Pushing open the door, my hands were trembling. I saw this, but couldn’t control it.

I’d learned a lot about losing control.

Arriving at my cubicle, I was pretty sure I wouldn’t cry. Small victories.

Brian was staring, naturally shocked at my appearance. But what could I say? “I didn’t sleep last night. I was washing blood off the grill of my car, weeping.”

Sometimes honesty’s NOT the best policy.

So I mumbled about coming down with something, and turned toward my computer.

It was going to be a long day…

mrsmica

Re: By the Time I Got to Work...

Post by mrsmica » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:37 pm

those dern deer ;)

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:38 am

Evocative. I kinda felt the same way, one time -- I stopped my car to let a deer cross the road, turned off my headlights to calm it, waited. Then a semi truck came barreling over the hill, didn't see it or didn't care, completely creamed it. I felt like I had lured it to its doom...
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:38 pm

mrsmica, look what you have done! Taken a perfectly riveting piece of munsipsychopathology and turned it, by suggestion, into mere roadkill. Look what you did to poor Daulton who, instead of thinking of picking pieces of a bikini-clad girl or alien being from his grill (undoubtedly munsi's original intention) has to settle for Bambi.
C'mon folks! the forums are supposed to be for mutual support, to amplify the DC experience. Suggesting normal, natural explanations must be the furthest thing from our thoughts. Who knows how much of a trauma Daulton has now experienced to his fledgling DC-imagination?
O, the inhumanity!
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:59 pm

strawman wrote:...instead of thinking of picking pieces of a bikini-clad girl or alien being from his grill (undoubtedly munsi's original intention) has to settle for Bambi...
Yes, we know our Munsi all too well, don't we? :D
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:56 pm

I'd like to think I have enough of the fundamental Drabble nature to recover from the constraining injury, with time!

The experience of believing yourself a murderer of something cute and fuzzy, through no intent of your own, I think is fairly consistent with the Drabbleverse, and possibly close to Munsi's intent. Speaking as a newby, of course.
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

munsi

Post by munsi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:14 pm

....have i really gotten to the point where, if some assume i killed bambi's mother, others will chide them for not going creepy ENOUGH?

...awesome :D