twas wolf he cried

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
zcarter80

twas wolf he cried

Post by zcarter80 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:18 am

My hand covered his drunken mouth.

“Shhh papa,” I whispered “it is your boy, Michael.”

Suddenly his muscles tensed. I turned him to face me in the small cottage’s dim candle light.

“You live?”

“I survived the forest’s beasts, all it cost me was my hand.”

I thrust the gnarled stump at his face and he cringed.

“You should never have sent me back there!”

I removed the wolf’s paw from my pocket.

His breath reeked of ale as he pleaded.

As I brought the claws down I wondered aloud

“Lets see if anyone comes father, when you cry wolf.”

If I wrote it you can read it unless you sound like Fran Drescher.

Thomas Daulton

Re: twas wolf he cried

Post by Thomas Daulton » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:51 am

Nice to see a fantasy/fairy-tale type of Drabble, not enough of those. This one produces a nicely creepy atmosphere.
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

zcarter80

Post by zcarter80 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:29 am

Thanx man. I hadn't had any response to this so i was a bit concerned that i may have missed the mark. Thanx for the feedback.

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:45 am

Seems like a lot of postings get 0 to 1 replies. Don't take it personally, I guess (speaking as a newby who has only posted one Drabble). I do what I can to let authors know somebody is reading them, but even I skip back and forth a lot.
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:47 am

I also think it's clever how the boy can play innocent and make his father look like a liar...

Loof

Post by Loof » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:54 am

Liked this a lot, I've always had my problems with the message in The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:47 am

Which message? I always thought the moral was, "Never tell the same lie twice"...
(Yes, yes, I stole that joke from ST:DS9)

Loof

Post by Loof » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:01 am

Thomas Daulton wrote:Which message? I always thought the moral was, "Never tell the same lie twice"...
(Yes, yes, I stole that joke from ST:DS9)
Ha! I hadn't heard that one before, though I'm sure I'll use it myself at some point in the future.

My problem is the father, suspecting there are wolves about, sends an un-armed defenceless young child who he has already decided not to believe to guard the sheep. I don't think that is good parenting, so I imagine the father wanted the boy dead, probably to claim life insurance.

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Nicely twisted interpretation! Y'know, that really makes a nice addition to the drabble. The two of you (zcarter80 and Loof) might consider working that into a longer story (to include the scene in the drabble). Re-interpreted fairy tales are a fairly popular sub-market these days. I liked that creepy re-interpreted "Red Riding Hood's Child" story back in the early days of Podcastle, and the upcoming movie "Tangled" is a re-interpretation of Rapunzel. "Wicked," etc. People read stuff like that. If it was me, I would keep it to something below 1000 to 2000 words, but you should consider it and see what you come up with. Who knows what back story those two characters might have had before it all culminated in the "wolf incident" ?

zcarter80

Post by zcarter80 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:46 pm

The poor parenting is the main thought i had when i wrote it. Even if there's a small chance of a wolf why would you send your child out there with no weapon (except in some interpretations where he blows a wolf horn) to guard some sheep. then after they are eaten or scattered they have to be rounded up again. its poor judgment on both counts. just like little boy blue being lazy as hell and letting the animals run wild while he naps. I would be open to a collaboration because i want these tales to be seen from multiple angles and re-imagined over and over again.

Loof

Post by Loof » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:39 pm

I'm glad you liked my interpretation, Thomas Daulton. I really like the whole reinterpreted fairy tale concept, and think a collaboration would be great. I'm off to the ideas factory!

zcarter80

Post by zcarter80 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:20 am

Nice. I do have an idea or two floating around, now if i can just find that butterfly net and grab one of the slippery buggers i will be happy to share it.