Frozen Time

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Loof

Frozen Time

Post by Loof » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:18 am

People have described empty hours as vast oceans of time, but that doesn’t work. Oceans are filled with complex currents and swirls below the surface. No, the empty hours are glaciers: huge, solid, inching infinitesimally forwards.
I have been in this escape pod for thirty inches. I now measure time by how far my beard has grown, as nothing else changes.
The life-support system will keep me alive longer than I know. I should be unconscious, but something’s gone wrong. So, I’m awake, unable to move out of this life-support chair, with a tiny window showing me the blackness beyond.

Thomas Daulton

Re: Frozen Time

Post by Thomas Daulton » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:47 am

Very nice narrative! Would make a great opening for a longer story. Superb descriptions. As a Drabble, it kinda disappoints me that I won't be reading any more.
On the other hand, I just now listened to Drabblecast 173, I think it was, one of the Trifectas, where one of the three stories was actually a set of 6 interlinked Drabbles. I think your subject matter here might be good for something like that. I would love to read 4 or 5 more Drabbles, each written in completely different styles, about the wondrous and then horrifying things this poor survivor sees outside his window as the pod passes through different regions of space... was that your plan all along, with the "tiny window"?
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

strawman

Post by strawman » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Drabble #2 could be the story of learning to play mental chess against himself. #3 could be where he mentally calculates the value of pi to 20 decimals. And #6 would be playtime with his imaginary friends.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

zcarter80

Post by zcarter80 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:24 pm

awesome description and i agree more to this would be awesome but i love it man kudos on a well done drabble.
If I wrote it you can read it unless you sound like Fran Drescher.

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:55 am

I don't think it needs more. It's fine as it is. Some things are best left implied.

Loof

Post by Loof » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:52 pm

I'm very flattered by the response this has had. I don't think I'll write any sequels to this though, as it would logically conclude with his beard becoming so large that the escape pod can't contain it, making it break through the tiny window and him being sucked into the void.

Scattercat

Post by Scattercat » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:02 pm

Well, no, not logically it wouldn't. Hair stops growing at a genetically/environmentally determined point. For instance, my beard is about four inches, uncurled, and it never gets much longer than that no matter how many months I leave it.

If you want a stylish/dramatic ending, though, that's fine.

zcarter80

Post by zcarter80 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:13 am

I think your beard is just lying in wait until you least expect it. or perhaps even growing long enough to do its evil will and then retracting into your skin as you remain ignorant to its dirty deeds. How sure are you, that you really left that nightstand drawer open?
If I wrote it you can read it unless you sound like Fran Drescher.

Betadog

Post by Betadog » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:36 am

A friend of mine came back from vacation without his beard, and I had grown one while he was gone. When we first laid eyes on each other it was an eerie moment.

Men come and go but the beard abides.

Great story btw. I also think it stands well on it's own.
"Man's natural occupation is war. That and gardening." - Winston Churchill