A twibble

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
cammoblammo

A twibble

Post by cammoblammo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi folks,

I've been playing around with http://twitter.com a bit lately, and I wondered what sort of stories we could fit in less than 140 characters. Not a whole lot, I agree, but it's worth a try anyway. Here's one I threw together as a proof of concept:

Phew! That was close. Who knew listening to the Drabblecast was such a good zombie repellant? Or is Norm planning to keep us to himself?

In yet another forced derivation of the word 'drabble' I've called this type of story a 'twibble.' And if anyone's really keen, I've set up a twitter account for such things at http://twitter.com/mytwibble. Feel free to follow.

I don't know how amenable twitter is to this sort of thing (I suspect not very) but hey, it'll be fun for the two seconds it lasts.
It is something that has to be proved scientifically, that a human being turned into a goat.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:52 pm

I'm not familiar with Twitter, but

There was one person who was happy when gravity flipped. Stanley was leaping from his roof to test his new “flying” boots. Live the moment.
Advertise in this space!

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:49 pm

W00t! W00t! I love all the colors in this post.
Me is twittering tooo! I just got this really really cool G1 Google phone so I could twitter. Twitter really is a huge challenge: cramming all you have to say in a message of only 140 chars. It's pretty darn hard.

And now, time to think twibbles!
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

Poppydragon

Post by Poppydragon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:26 pm

Not sure about Twittering either, or if this counts for that matter but it's 140 characters.

Cape billowing, he dove from the window towards the fleeing villains, realising too late that this time his dream would be the death of him.

zZzacha

Post by zZzacha » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:37 pm

Yep, I think that one is a valid twibble, and an amusing one too! It has superheroes, villains and a funny ending with a hard landing. I never realised it was possible to cram all that in 140 chars.

Pf, I've been sitting here thinking and thinking... this is some hard-core stuff! I have thought of some great endings and good beginnings for a twibble, but it's hard to make one work. I think the mucus in my head is taking up too much space, so there can never be both a beginning and an ending in my head.

Which brings me to a twibble.
She sneezed and out it went. Wide-eyed she shreeked 'No, not that stuff! The snot may go, but not that great ending to my twibble. Darn'
I'll be there in 5 minutes. If not, read this again.

Poppydragon

Post by Poppydragon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:48 pm

The end is definitely the hard bit to get, another offering though

She likened the bone-stretching agony engulfing her body to an unnatural childbirth, howling in pain as the full moon looked down uncaringly.

LajesticVantrashellofLob

Post by LajesticVantrashellofLob » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:17 am

Oooh, that full moon one is awesome!

Here's my crack at the concept:

A rash of keyboards being possessed by malevolent spirits that eat fingers? You’ve got to be kidding. I’ve never heard something so prepost-
Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules. Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.

You're always the hero in your own story - life is about not being the villain in anyone else's.

MJ

Post by MJ » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:57 am

Can anyone suggest a hashtag for these? Obviously it would have to be a really short one, to make maximum space for storytelling. Unfortunately #twibble is taken (I tweeted a twibble last night under the #twibble hashtag and found it grouped with a lot of tech support questions for the Twibble iPhone app...).

Here it is, anyway...

The plague did for nearly everyone. My trusty chainsaw and I mopped up the survivors. Now I can truly dance like nobody's watching.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Watch out for this “memetic virus” I heard about. It’s a message that tricks people into distributing it. Better forward this warning.
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri May 29, 2009 8:50 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Watch out for this “memetic virus” I heard about. It’s a message that tricks people into distributing it. Better forward this warning.
Very metamagically thematic, Tweedy...