Waking Revelation

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Post Reply
User avatar
LizPennies
Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 6:38 pm

Waking Revelation

Post by LizPennies » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:06 am

Multi-verses are not always born in a “BANG,” but rather a “pop.”

Here I am ruler. No. I am a god! Here I am all the all-powerful! In a blink I can give one superpowers. In a single breath, an alien invasion can rain down from the high heavens. I can inspire whooshing gusts of icy wind, or the singing of birds, bathing in sun.

SLAM! A billion screams, only to be extinguished in the same instant they were birthed.

“I’m home.” The shutting door snuffed out the daydream.

“MAA-om! You just killed an entire galaxy, I’ll have you know!”
A story doesn't have to have be happy, to gain happiness from a story.

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Waking Revelation

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:33 am

Much more imaginative than the usual raining frogs or locusts. It gets so lonely sitting up on high though, doesn't it? Maybe we could do lunch sometime and compare notes.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Waking Revelation

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:27 am

"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high achievement. Those who cannot do this will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." Lao-Tsu
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
LizPennies
Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Waking Revelation

Post by LizPennies » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:19 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high achievement. Those who cannot do this will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." Lao-Tsu
You are speaking my language now. I LOVE Lao-Tsu philosophy. :) And I'd love some lunch too, if you weren't in Portland. How about I meet you on the astral plain for some Chinese. :P
A story doesn't have to have be happy, to gain happiness from a story.

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Waking Revelation

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu May 03, 2012 5:35 pm

LizPennies wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high achievement. Those who cannot do this will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." Lao-Tsu
You are speaking my language now. I LOVE Lao-Tsu philosophy. :) And I'd love some lunch too, if you weren't in Portland. How about I meet you on the astral plain for some Chinese. :P
I'll be hungry again in an hour and have to consume another star system to feel satisfied.

eff-it. It's tasty. Sure, you're on.

(Incidentally, The Lathe of Heaven is one of my favorite novels, set in Portland, written by Portland's most famous author, attempting to write in the mode of Philip K. Dick. If you haven't read this masterwork by Ursula K. LeGuin, I highly recommend that you do. There is also an excellent film version starring a very young Bruce Davison as the prime-mover, George Orr. Avoid the AMC version starring James Caan, Lucas Haas, and Lisa Bonet like the plague, however.)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Waking Revelation

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu May 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Oh, I Love your signature quote: "A story doesn't have to have be happy, to gain happiness from a story."

I've felt so self-conscious this past year+ or so, feeling like a walking black cloud, and few people want to walk around under that threat of rain.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
LizPennies
Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Waking Revelation

Post by LizPennies » Sun May 06, 2012 7:10 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:Oh, I Love your signature quote: "A story doesn't have to have be happy, to gain happiness from a story."

I've felt so self-conscious this past year+ or so, feeling like a walking black cloud, and few people want to walk around under that threat of rain.
I'm sorry for that. But yes, it's my personal philosophy in story telling. I wrote a chunk of life experience for a memoir project my first semester back to school. Not the happiest of tales, but I told it with sarcasm, irony, and a dash of humor to taste. This is the piece that subsequently won me the Superior Writer's Award. Don't feel shy about drawing off dark moments. ;)
A story doesn't have to have be happy, to gain happiness from a story.

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Waking Revelation

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun May 06, 2012 7:35 pm

LizPennies wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:Oh, I Love your signature quote: "A story doesn't have to have be happy, to gain happiness from a story."

I've felt so self-conscious this past year+ or so, feeling like a walking black cloud, and few people want to walk around under that threat of rain.
I'm sorry for that. But yes, it's my personal philosophy in story telling. I wrote a chunk of life experience for a memoir project my first semester back to school. Not the happiest of tales, but I told it with sarcasm, irony, and a dash of humor to taste. This is the piece that subsequently won me the Superior Writer's Award. Don't feel shy about drawing off dark moments. ;)
As much as I have always desired to write a good fantasy or SF story, in my opinion the pieces that are strongest on re-reading are my autobiographical works.. ... ... ...
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Waking Revelation

Post by strawman » Sun May 06, 2012 8:48 pm

ROU, might that not be due to the fact that all the emotions the story is suppose to elicit are already there?

Wordsworth gives his famous definition of poetry as "the spontaneous overflow of powerful emotions recollected in tranquility
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Waking Revelation

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun May 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Doubtlessly true Strawman. I am sure that is I prefer my natural prose and why Liz ended up with an award by drawing on her own life truths.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

HJfiction
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:24 pm

Re: Waking Revelation

Post by HJfiction » Mon May 07, 2012 2:09 am

LizPennies wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:Oh, I Love your signature quote: "A story doesn't have to have be happy, to gain happiness from a story."

I've felt so self-conscious this past year+ or so, feeling like a walking black cloud, and few people want to walk around under that threat of rain.
I'm sorry for that. But yes, it's my personal philosophy in story telling. I wrote a chunk of life experience for a memoir project my first semester back to school. Not the happiest of tales, but I told it with sarcasm, irony, and a dash of humor to taste. This is the piece that subsequently won me the Superior Writer's Award. Don't feel shy about drawing off dark moments. ;)
I find that my fiction that's loosely based on events in my life (which of course includes a basis on people I actually know) are my best pieces of work, bar none. It's so hard to just come up with a story, you know? People don't understand that, how truly talented some horror/fantasy writers are. It's not necessarily about extremely realistic characters or events--it's about the extreme creativity it took to craft their pieces in the first place.

On the drabble: I enjoy your prose. It's easy to read and has this obvious fluidity. I admit that I don't pick up on what exactly is happening in a lot of the drabbles on this site, but as I've mentioned--its' not my usual cup of tea. I've enjoyed a good 95% of the work here. Everybody is significantly different.
[center]-HJfiction[/center][/color]

Post Reply