The Devil's white shoes.

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
rowan_bristol

The Devil's white shoes.

Post by rowan_bristol » Mon May 14, 2012 1:25 pm

“Don’t be such a child,” said the Devil as she took a drag from her cigarette. “I didn’t make you do this.” She stepped over the broken ruin of my Margaret, the congealing blood on the floor moving away from the Devil’s immaculate white shoes. “Humans are nothing but primal urges and traumas carefully nurtured over time by friends and family into crazed little hate machines, contained only by their better angels.” She bent forward, her eyes burning as brightly as her cigarette. “I’m just the angel that will never tell you no.”

And I took her hand to hell.
"To Love is to Act."

Make No Small Plans: A blog for writing, miscellany, and the secret conspiracies of the Columbia Exposition.

strawman

Re: The Devil's white shoes.

Post by strawman » Mon May 14, 2012 4:58 pm

I like this one very much. At its heart is the image of Margaret's congealed blood moving away from the devil's immaculate white shoes. Near as I can figure, the life-force itself flees from where lack of self-restraint steps. Kinda connected to Abel's blood crying out from the ground.

This is a good example of truth expressed in a figurative way, that typifies what I find interesting in fiction.
Thanks, Rowan.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: The Devil's white shoes.

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon May 14, 2012 6:09 pm

strawman wrote: This is a good example of truth expressed in a figurative way, that typifies what I find interesting in fiction.
Thanks, Rowan.
I liked this one too.

I'm reminded of a quote by Joseph Campbell along the lines of a myth being "a fiction that seeks to tell a truth."

(Your comment reminded me of Campbell, Strawman, not the drabble... I just liked the drabble for reasons similar to yours that you voiced well enough that I need not bother...)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.