Here There Everywhere

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Scattercat

Here There Everywhere

Post by Scattercat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:35 am

Joey says he’s being hunted by a therewolf.

I tell him to stop being a smartass. The “were” in werewolf means “man.” Same root as “virile.” Joey’s a dork.

No, says Joey, it’s not like that. It’s not a wolf that turns into a man or anything.

I tell him that doesn’t excuse the pun.

No, says Joey, it’s not a man at all. It’s a wolf, and it’s there. It’s always just there. Watching.

I turn around, and there it is. It’s there. Watching us.

I can’t sleep. All I can think is: what happens when it’s seen enough?

Thomas Daulton

Re: Here There Everywhere

Post by Thomas Daulton » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Yeah, when somebody comments on one of _my_ drabbles, I look around for something I can compliment on one of his/hers. I actually really like this one (and I've read a bunch of your Mirrorshards, I just haven't had time to comment or hang around the forums in a long while). I've always liked stories about lycanthropes, when done right they sort-of highlight connections between nature and humanity... and this story does the same thing, but in a totally different way. Joey is being stalked, but is it in his mind, power of suggestion making it visible to his friend? Is he summoning the wolf here, is it stalking him or is Joey the one doing the stalking? How much of him is the beast and how much of the beast is just the underside of him being human? Those are the sort of questions I often enjoy about lycanthrope stories too!

And of course, I'm a big Beatles fan as well, which helps with one of the puns...! :D How many people got that one??
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:59 pm

...reminds me, I also have a drabble concept revolving around a Wolf in the city, which is a bit similar but IMHO notably different. Based on an old saying a friend of mine has used for years. My treatment will be different from yours. But look for it, based on this drabble I bet you'll enjoy it.
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost." --J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Thomas Daulton

Post by Thomas Daulton » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:59 am

Hey Scattercat, as you may have figured out, my latest Drabble "The Beer Wolf" is the wolf-themed drabble which I referred to here, 6 months ago: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5543