Semblance of the Tortured God

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Flintknapper

Semblance of the Tortured God

Post by Flintknapper » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:39 pm

The priest of the tortured god looked at me. He wanted something. I could tell he was angry, but his words were lost on me.

He pointed to his idol again. The figure scared me. Blood trickled from wounds on his side and his face was contorted in agony.

I tried to calm the priest. He would have none of it. I could not make him comprehend.

He shouted words to the others. They were coated in plates that shined like mica.

They grabbed me and stabbed with their blades. My face contorted in agony. I became what they worshiped.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Re: Semblance of the Tortured God

Post by Varda » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:06 pm

Whoa. That last line gave me goosebumps.

I recall being quite disturbed as a child by crucifixes and the other violent imagery in saint iconography. I remember going to Mass with my grandmother and asking her why Mary was tearing a flaming heart out of her own chest. She didn't really have a good answer for me but thought it was a hilarious observation. Guess you don't really stop and look at some of the stuff you've accepted as normal until someone points out how weird ya are!
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Yes, Flintknapper, your best drabble.
The 2nd Commandment prohibits taking the Lord's name in vain. I was always taught it had to do with cussing.
But clearly it concerns false advertising. The brand has been corrupted.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks Varda and Strawman,

The funny thing is I literally wrote this one in about 5 minutes. I didnt over think it.

I got workers from the Pueblo stabilizing parts of the mission. One of them was working on the stairs up to the altar. He must have mis-steped and fell down a couple stairs. He is okay.

When he told me about, we joked half-heartedly that it was the ghost of the murdered priest (a folk legend about what happened at the site). Then we started talking about how 1 murdered priest compared to the 10,000s of Jemez killed either through warfare or disease in the 80 years leading up to the revolt.

As I came in for a break, I sat down at the computer with images of the altar, priest, and the jemez people running through my head. I had been working on a non-fiction piece on my desktop for a local newspaper, but for some reason,I closed it and began to type the drabble. Few minutes later I had this.

Thanks again guys, I am pretty happy with this one.

gunsofchekhovia

Post by gunsofchekhovia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:36 am

Wow.

This is haunting... as are many things about many religions, when you get right down to it.

This one is my favorite of yours so far, Flintknapper.