Smonday

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Smonday

Post by Varda » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:31 am

I slipped sideways into the space between Saturday and Sunday.

That’s where you can pawn away your weekend goals for extra time: your three-quarters-finished steampunk novel (stalled at Chapter 13), blueprints for the shed (mouldering since Christmas), a sincere apology to Sarah (drafted but undelivered), the ‘64 Barracuda you mean to restore (running to rust in the driveway).

Things you’d do if you could find the time.

“Buying time?” asked the pawnbroker.

“Nope. Redeeming.” I flourished my Z’s, a chainsaw orchestra’s worth, scraped together from a lifetime of mortgaged hobbies.

If you play your hand right, Monday will never come.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

gunsofchekhovia

Re: Smonday

Post by gunsofchekhovia » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:05 am

Lovely prose-poem, Varda. I especially loved "chainsaw orchestra" and "mortgaged hobbies."

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Fun drabble. However, the second to third person shifts in writing distracted me. I like the concept. Instead of living on borrowed time, she is cashing it. It kind of reminds me of a bigger metaphor about retirement. Those that save for it, have to watch what they do now, but in later years will have plenty to enjoy where others just live in the present.... or the child's tale the about the squirrel saving his acorns...

Things been quiet here with the podcastle contest going on. I had to get away from it, myself. I found I was checking in to often. It is hard. You want to be able to answer peoples comments, but you cant at least not until you are voted out.

In any event, hope people are still writing. I am. I just don't write as much fiction as some of you.

Varda

Post by Varda » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:07 pm

Thanks, guys! Flintknapper, you make an insightful point about the tense change. Can you believe I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out? There should be a word for that: author-blindness, maybe?
Flintknapper wrote:Things been quiet here with the podcastle contest going on. I had to get away from it, myself. I found I was checking in to often. It is hard. You want to be able to answer peoples comments, but you cant at least not until you are voted out.
Got one in Group 1 or 2, eh?? :D Oh my, now I'm speculating about which one! I hope I was nice to you in my comments, whichever story it was. ;)

I know the feeling about wanting to answer comments. I've been practically sitting on my hands and reminding myself that if my stories do well, I might be biting back my tongue for weeks! The quality of the stories has just astounded me, and the quality of the feedback as well.
Flintknapper wrote:In any event, hope people are still writing. I am. I just don't write as much fiction as some of you.
Editing for me, mostly. When I can find the time. Started a research assistant position just this morning (yay!) which has the unfortunate downside of cutting even further into my writing time this semester. :-/ On the upside, I've got a 700-ish word piece of semi-historical fantasy flash in the works that I'm excited about! What're you working on?

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:51 pm

Varda wrote:What're you working on?
More than I should as far as nonfiction goes :( ...

I just finished addressing edits to my second piece that is going to be published in the Journal of America's Military Past. It has to do with the Confederate Mass Grave at Glorieta Pass and will be my third published paper on the battle. I think the issue will be out November/December time.

I also got an Archaeology in the Place of Suffering that just came out today in El Palacio, a nice magazine put out by the Museum of New Mexico. Article is in print but it is also one of their featured online stories. You can read it at:

http://www.elpalacio.org/articles/fall13/research.pdf

This month I also got my regular contributions in Red Rocks Reporter and Sandoval Signpost (local newspapers). Both those are online too, but they haven't posted the September issue of Red Rocks.

Sandoval Signpost: Demography in Jemez Province http://www.sandovalsignpost.com/html/around_town.html

Red Rocks Reporter: Regarding Pueblo Language (out within the next couple days, but you guys can read last months article on our July Reading Program)
http://www.jemezpueblo.org/Red_Rocks_Reporter.aspx

As for fiction, yeah I got a piece in the current rounds. Not that I am going to say what it is. I wanted to do something different. Something unexpected and outside my comfort zone. I am happy with all the feedback, but the tale needs work.

The other piece in the contest everyone who has read my stuff on here is going to have an idea that I wrote it. In fact many of the pod castle voters that read my stories in the pseudopod contest are going to know. The story has the kind of setting I am known to write in, the themes are similar to most of my other pieces, and it even shares a character mentioned in Giusewa.

As for other pieces, I got a couple stories I stopped working on. One had the U.S. Army coming in contact with an awanyu in the galisteo basin. The other has winged hussars arriving in New Mexico province following the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. They are sent by the pope and are guarding a black wizard who is about to unleash the ultimate plague (zombies) on the revolting Indians. They are also going to kill Kokopelli and some kachinas to boot. The idea is actually partially based on some feedback you gave me about seeing the pueblos weather the zombie apocalypse... but I do not know.

Varda

Post by Varda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:31 am

Hey, getting to have our private guesses about authorship is half the fun! Will be a blast to find out when the contest is over who wrote what. :D

I really enjoyed writing my Podcastle pieces. After a whole summer of writing near-daily drabbles, 500 words felt like looooooots of space to stretch out and tell a leisurely tale! I think all the drabble-practice served me well -- flash fiction weight lifting! -- but we'll see what the EA forumites have to say.

And good grief, Flintknapper! Got enough nonfiction going on there? Still, I can't feel too bad for you. The nonfiction fuels your writing, so it's probably your own form of working out those writing muscles.

Drabblescout Badges:

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Varda wrote:Hey, getting to have our private guesses about authorship is half the fun! Will be a blast to find out when the contest is over who wrote what. :D
If I had my guess, I think the contest has already seen works from scattercat, mc wagner, and the guy who wrote Violin Family last time (forum name eludes me at the moment). However, I could be completely wrong.

Also, congrats varda and you need to update your signature. You got another twabble out! The geomancy one. I haven't heard it yet, but I saw it on the website.

Varda

Post by Varda » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Flintknapper wrote: Also, congrats varda and you need to update your signature. You got another twabble out! The geomancy one. I haven't heard it yet, but I saw it on the website.
Thankee, and good point! Updating sig now... :D Good thing it's been a while since I've gotten any demerits. At this rate, I might be in the black! ;)

Drabblescout Badges: