Wood Nymph Conundrum

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Cwpants

Wood Nymph Conundrum

Post by Cwpants » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:27 pm

@strawman ...there's no iceberg hiding in this one. No need to search. :P

The wood nymph did so love that cantankerous troll!
She loved the way he grumbled when forced to guard the bridge.
She found endearing his bristly demeanor at enchanted forest gatherings.
When he'd recite the same old riddles,
she would pretend she’d never heard them just to see the satisfaction on his face.
She wished she had the guts to tear him away from his responsibilities,
consequences be damned!
But whenever she built up the courage,
in her little nymph heart,
she’d think of his family and return to her tree beside the river.
...If only she knew a genie.
C.W. Pants

“The road to hell is paved with adverbs.”
― Stephen King, On Writing

strawman

Re: Wood Nymph Conundrum

Post by strawman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Charming. Nice interspecies theme (or are fairy-tale critters all one species? As ASID knows, I never studied biology. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure the introduction of a genie is the cultural equivalent of anachronism. Would that be 'anaculturalism'? Well, heck, this is America Drabbleland. We're all immigrants.

I'm pretty sure trolls and fairies and genies are all bi-nippled.

So, good one, pants.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:10 pm

Another new person and fun poetry format to boot.

For some reason I always think of Dora the Explorer when I hear about a troll. The tune "He is the grumpy old troll that lives under the bridge" from the show was actually playing in my brain as I read the drabble. Damn my children and Nick Jr.

Cwpants

Post by Cwpants » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:52 pm

Thank you both for the encouraging comments.

@Flintknapper -I am writing a story that partially takes place in New Mexico. Whilst stalking your profile I saw you claim residence there. Do you have any pointers for someone who has never stepped foot in the great State of New Mexico?
C.W. Pants

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Hmm... pointers... right now we are very wet. hehe...

I think if you want believability... the big things I would point to people are:

1. There is a wide range of environments. We have mountains, grasslands, and forests, in addition the desert. More importantly, there is a range of subsets within those major environments. Bosque is usually used to refer to the cottonwood forests that run along the rio grande and other major rivers. There is also the scrubland juniper/pinyon forests and large ponderosa expanses in the highlands.

2. We are very culturally diverse. It isnt Anglo/Hispanic/Native American. Native Americans are not a culture group. They are a lot of different ethnic groups lumped together because most outsiders do not know enough to tell them apart. They have their own ethnic stereotypes and their cultural relationships among each other are much more strained than they are with either Anglos or Hispanics. Jemez and Zia are neighbors and waged war with each other historically and prehistorically. The are both "Pueblo" but speak languages that are not related to one another. The only thing they can really agree on is their distrust of the Navajo. Conversely, Isleta and Taos speak Tiwa, but one chased the Spanish out and the other warned the Spanish and aided them in their escape. Each tribe has its own religious ceremonies, societies, and belief system. Some of it is open and some of it is not. For example my avatar is the Tewa Awanyu. The Towa Awanyu (not called an Awanyu) looks remarkable different, but it against tribal customs for the Towa to display their rain serpent. Same thing with Kachinas.

3. We are poor and uneducated. I know that sounds harsh. It is harsh, but we have a lot of areas outside of Santa Fe and Albuquerque that are as bad as the third world. There are plenty of households in New Mexico especially in the older Native American and Hispanic communities that do not have running water or electricity. We just recently beat out Mississippi to be the least educated state in the union. There are a lot of high tech jobs in New Mexico, but most are jobs taken by people who move into the state. Most the higher income families in New Mexico moved here from California or Texas. When I pursued my undergrad degree, I was given a large scholarship because I had the highest GPA of anyone from Moriarty High School that was planning to attend an in-state college and I was a B average student.

4. Lastly, it is a traditional state. I am not even a catholic, but I can tell without having to look it up that in Bernalillo we will be celebrating our lady of sorrows feast day on sunday September 15. There will be dances and a huge mass at our church. Older members of the community will be performing a dance that has been done every year since 1693. Also if you drive by next thursday Jemez Pueblo will be closed for private dances the public is not allowed to see. These are not things that are advertised , not things written down, these are things you just know. Things you expect. The reason it took us over 50 years to achieve statehood is we really have very little in common with a Anglo Country with its roots in protestantism.

Okay I have written long enough. I took way to long of a break to write this... fortunately or unfortunately with all the rain no one is coming to Jemez Historic Site today. :(

If you want someone to read something and offer feedback. I would be willing. You can hit me up at matthew.barbour@state.nm.us

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:52 pm

This piece has a very sweet voice to it! Trolls are lovable too, eh? Bit of a "Shrek" vibe, in a good way. :)
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Cwpants

Post by Cwpants » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:28 pm

@Flintknapper
Thank you SO much! I appreciate you taking the time to type that up! I will definitely take you up on your offer once I have finished the first draft. Fair warning...it is a YA novel.
C.W. Pants

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:28 am

Cwpants wrote: Fair warning...it is a YA novel.
It's only a fair warning if you give him the opportunity to withdraw his offer. Alternatively, stand in a corner and count to 100.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Cwpants

Post by Cwpants » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:04 am

strawman wrote: It's only a fair warning if you give him the opportunity to withdraw his offer. Alternatively, stand in a corner and count to 100.
Nope...not letting him withdraw the offer....you can find me in the corner.

C.W. Pants

phyx

Post by phyx » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:39 pm

Another evening passed as a troll –ugly even for his species—growled at his assignment.

He’d always grumbled at guarding that bridge, but secretly loved his station amongst the Sprites and Fae, the Drow and Dryad.
Each day he stood vigilant, riddles in hand.
His heart would race as he considered the chance that the little wood nymph may cross that day.

Not a moment passed where he didn’t long to feel the little nymph cuddled into his chest again.

Tomorrow was the day of rest and he found himself contemplating hibernating through it.

Quicker to slumber – quicker to work.
~nobody of consequence

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Post by Varda » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:52 pm

phyx wrote:Another evening passed as a troll –ugly even for his species—growled at his assignment.

He’d always grumbled at guarding that bridge, but secretly loved his station amongst the Sprites and Fae, the Drow and Dryad.
His heart would race as he considered the chance that the little wood nymph may cross that day.

Not a moment passed where he didn’t long to feel the little nymph cuddled into his chest again.

Tomorrow was the day of rest and he found himself contemplating hibernating through it.

Okay, I went "D'awwww!" :)
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Cwpants

Post by Cwpants » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:53 pm

Varda wrote:
phyx wrote:Another evening passed as a troll –ugly even for his species—growled at his assignment.

Okay, I went "D'awwww!" :)
Me toooooo!!!!!!
C.W. Pants