The Clockwork Heist (Drabble Version)

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Flintknapper

The Clockwork Heist (Drabble Version)

Post by Flintknapper » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:14 am

In the moonlight, I could clearly make out the clockwork sentinel in front of Reynold's Trust and Savings. With that thing on duty, the bank was impenetrable. The right arm was a .45 caliber Gatling, the left arm ended in a large claw, and the whole thing was encased in an industrial steel exoskeleton. It was enough to make even the fiercest desperado tremble in his boots.

I moved past the clockwork quickly and worked my pick in the doorlock. An instant later, I was in. Good that the bank clerk in charge of winding the thing could be bought.

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Re: The Clockwork Heist (Drabble Version)

Post by Varda » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:02 pm

Ohhhh.... nice and steampunky! I'm a huge fan of windup robots. Excellent, my friend.

I was just thinking that now that we're done reading and critiquing all 121 stories at the Podcastle contest, it's time to get back to drabblin'. Have you started revisions yet on "Rhyme of Monsters"? I sent out my Thanksgiving story to Penumbra but haven't heard back yet. According to Submissions Grinder, I'm about 5 days away from the average window for acceptances, so here's hoping.

By the way, happy 10-year anniversary to you and your wife! Huge congrats. Hope it was a great one. :)
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:07 pm

I also like steampunk. However, I'm having a tough time figuring out how the Winder comes up with a cover story. Wouldn't he realize that he is going to take the fall?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks Varda. It was decent. We went out to one of the nicest French restaurants in Albuquerque.

Good luck on getting in Penumbra. I have sent Rhyme out to StoneTelling. It is a poetry zine. I also have a couple other children's rhymes under consideration elsewhere including one for Cricket's Ladybug Magazine.

This is actually a larger flash fiction piece, but I cut it pretty heavily to make it a drabble. It is time to get back to the drabbles. I am also working on a couple larger short fiction pieces. All are set in the American Southwest, but it is a mix of children, young adult, and adult pieces.

Been busy in the real world and the contest did distract me.

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:53 pm

strawman wrote:I also like steampunk. However, I'm having a tough time figuring out how the Winder comes up with a cover story. Wouldn't he realize that he is going to take the fall?
Yeah I thought that too, but I wanted a clear and abrupt ending. I also wanted to make sure it not too dark. I thought about him abducting the clerk, stealing the key, etc... However, I wanted that hard ending. Besides, not all criminals are smart. Clerk could have just took the pay off and split. I cut out a ton of the description, but this is happening in the wild west. I figure it is plausible enough... but point taken.