Guardians (Somebody's Gotta Do It Theme)

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Post Reply
User avatar
Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender
Posts: 1383
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:41 pm
Location: Athens, Georgia
Contact:

Guardians (Somebody's Gotta Do It Theme)

Post by Varda » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:57 am

When the sunset is slanting, what keeps the ones who prowl at bay?

The guardians do.

There, just beyond that stand of pines, they’re waiting like a pair of hands to spring upon the spider, a noose to choke off hot breath.

Children linger in the fields. The sunset slants in, and the prowlers come running with quick little legs, their great big jaws a-gaping.

And just beyond the stand of pines, the guardians spring upon them, saying, This far you may go, and no further.

They do not relish their work. They hold the line and pray for mercy.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

User avatar
gunsofchekhovia
Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:31 am
Location: Louisiana
Contact:

Re: Guardians (Somebody's Gotta Do It Theme)

Post by gunsofchekhovia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:24 am

Hrm. I was with you up until the last line.

Your guardians seem very powerful and entirely good... so why do they not relish their work?

User avatar
Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender
Posts: 1383
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:41 pm
Location: Athens, Georgia
Contact:

Re: Guardians (Somebody's Gotta Do It Theme)

Post by Varda » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:24 am

Re: the last line - I was just thinking how if it's your job to fight bad things, part of you may wish that the bad things weren't an enemy to begin with, or that the day will come when fighting them will be unnecessary. Sort of like how a doctor might do her job well, but look forward to a time when people don't need doctors anymore because we've cured all the diseases she treats. Or how a soldier might wish for a world where conflicts were resolved peacefully.

(ETA: also, on another level, this story's about the relationship between the glottis, vocal cords, and air stream. :wink: )
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

User avatar
Flintknapper
Member
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Jemez Springs, New Mexico

Re: Guardians (Somebody's Gotta Do It Theme)

Post by Flintknapper » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Varda wrote:Re: the last line - I was just thinking how if it's your job to fight bad things, part of you may wish that the bad things weren't an enemy to begin with, or that the day will come when fighting them will be unnecessary. Sort of like how a doctor might do her job well, but look forward to a time when people don't need doctors anymore because we've cured all the diseases she treats. Or how a soldier might wish for a world where conflicts were resolved peacefully.

(ETA: also, on another level, this story's about the relationship between the glottis, vocal cords, and air stream. :wink: )
Makes sense to me. However, I see the guardians as almost just a symbol for parents. Parents have to set limits to keep their children. However, we all wish that there didn't have to be limits.

User avatar
strawman
Member
Posts: 5966
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Guardians (Somebody's Gotta Do It Theme)

Post by strawman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Flintknapper wrote: However, we all wish that there didn't have to be limits.
I too wish I could cut myself off after the second six-pack. But how can you expect a little child to be able to do that?
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

User avatar
gunsofchekhovia
Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:31 am
Location: Louisiana
Contact:

Re: Guardians (Somebody's Gotta Do It Theme)

Post by gunsofchekhovia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Hell, when I was little, I could float a keg by myself.

User avatar
Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender
Posts: 1383
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:41 pm
Location: Athens, Georgia
Contact:

Re: Guardians (Somebody's Gotta Do It Theme)

Post by Varda » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:47 am

strawman wrote:
Flintknapper wrote: However, we all wish that there didn't have to be limits.
I too wish I could cut myself off after the second six-pack. But how can you expect a little child to be able to do that?
I went :shock: until I remembered you're made out of straw. I imagine that makes you one hell of a drinker, with all the absorbency.
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

User avatar
will write for beer
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:22 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Guardians (Somebody's Gotta Do It Theme)

Post by will write for beer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:30 am

mercy from whom? (or is it who? perhaps i should pray for mercy from the grammar police.)

i try to limit myself to one beer a night, but it's really hard to find a bar that serves a 96oz beer.
"Yeah they're dead. They're all messed up."
-- Sheriff McClelland

User avatar
Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender
Posts: 1383
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:41 pm
Location: Athens, Georgia
Contact:

Re: Guardians (Somebody's Gotta Do It Theme)

Post by Varda » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:41 am

will write for beer wrote:mercy from whom? (or is it who? perhaps i should pray for mercy from the grammar police.)
In retrospect, I admit the last line doesn't really make a lot of sense. This is what happens when I have a particularly wretched bout of insomnia and decide I might as well write something. The problem's that when I'm that tired, my brain keeps telling me, "You're a GENIUS THIS IS SO DEEP!" and then the next morning I wonder what exactly I was thinking. :wink:
will write for beer wrote: i try to limit myself to one beer a night, but it's really hard to find a bar that serves a 96oz beer.
Well played! :lol:

Tonight, I'm enjoying a nice Oktoberfest Marzen Lager from Left Hand. You?
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

Post Reply