Side Show

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
strawman

Side Show

Post by strawman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:48 am

"Step right up, ladies and gentlemen, mesdames et messieurs! From the four corners of the natural world! From the seven corners of the supernatural world!"John hawked. "Experience the profound depths, the exalted heights, the equatorial widths and the eternal whens that the most omnipotent monarchs of the ages have given life and kingdom to obtain, but which we offer you today, for one day only, for the price of a bated breath!

Close your eyes, then, and prepare yourself to be amazed, your credulity challenged!"

Taking a deep breath, John boldly stepped outside.

It was a bright, sunny day.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Varda
Connor Choadsworth Defender

Re: Side Show

Post by Varda » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:51 am

Hmm. Is John the hawker or the hawkee? Or, perhaps, both? I like the idea of daring yourself to get outside and live your life. And it's true how sometimes you have to be strategic in how you market even things you love to yourself. Kinda how I feel every time I'm getting ready to go running. "I really don't wanna, but I know I'll love it once I do."
Medical Microfiction: Stories about Science

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)
Demerits: Redd*t Rouser (2), Whittler's Mother (6)

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:17 am

Kinda Calvin & Hobbesish. Thinking of the world as a freak show. This should be done every day so that Halloween is a surprise.

Spoiler:

Varda

Post by Varda » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:12 pm

strawman wrote:Kinda Calvin & Hobbesish. Thinking of the world as a freak show. This should be done every day so that Halloween is a surprise.
:D

Wear a costume every other day of the year, and eventually you'll make people feel odd for not wearing one too. The strange is sublime.

Kinda like how I felt the first time I went to Dragon*Con.

Drabblescout Badges:
Merits: Twabble Author (5), Drabble Author (4), DRIP Slave Volunteer (2), Whittling (1), Macaroni Crafts (2)

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:41 pm

We don't hear enough about Con outcomes. Did angagaur ever reach you for that beer? Norm should have more to say about WorldCon, too. What's the good of The Strange if you don't spread it around? Is it true that Mongolian Death Worm is coming soon to a theater near you?

Have you got your gourd on yet?

Spoiler:

Varda

Post by Varda » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Nah, I ended up missing Dragon Con this year. I didn't get advance tickets, so I was just going to go up to ATL for the meetup if there was going to be one. Angagaur and I decided it probably wasn't worth the drive and hassle if there were just the two of us, so hopefully next time (and I can actually plan ahead and have con tickets!).

I saw on Twitter that Norm might be performing in Atlanta sometime in November, so maybe there'll be a meetup then? That'd be way cool.
strawman wrote: Have you got your gourd on yet?
*Feeds into Straw-People translator* --> "Have you carved a pumpkin yet?"

Nah, but thanks for the reminder! Maybe this will be the year of the MDW-O-Lantern. You'd need like 6 pumpkins lined up in a chain to do it. Extra candles in the butt! :D

Drabblescout Badges:

Flintknapper

Post by Flintknapper » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:47 pm

I like it. I think the drabble works on a number of levels and challenges the reader. Was out on monday experiencing the day myself. The greatest wonders in the world are just out there waiting for you to see.