Fine Dining

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?

Hit or Miss

Yuck, Awesome.
100%
Yuck, (just yuck...)
No votes

Total votes: 2

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Fine Dining

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Renowned brain researcher Luigi Schrank continued on in death as he had in life.

He thoughtfully regarded and noted the details of the folds and crevices of the delicate organs laid bare as his subjects lay comfortably sedate in their surgical halos. Their carefully removed craniums rested on the tables above their heads.

Becoming undead might have upset him more if it hadn't allowed him to assuage his guilt at not following in his father's footsteps as a restaurateur.

He switched on the neon sign of "Luigi's Fine Zombie Cuisine" and led his patrons shuffling towards the glistening grey-pink buffet.

Phenopath

Re: Dinnertime

Post by Phenopath » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:38 am

I liked the "glistening grey-pink buffet".

A couple of lines need a little tweak to improve the flow, although you never have much room for maneuver with the 100 word contraint.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:52 am

I agree needs tweaking, but I just knocked this one off the top of my head... <ducks, sorry>

I was also thinking a better title might be "Brain Food" with the start giving the impression it was about cyber-punking until the turn at the end.

I dunno, what do you think?

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:23 pm

I think you ought to expand it from a drabble to a story about an entrepreneurial zombie who gets an SBA loan to start a little corner fast-brain stand, and ends up taking the franchise public and retiring to Palm Beach.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Sounds like the "brain-buffet" seems to be the nugget that might be worth salvaging.

Love the idea of the entrepreneurial zombie. Smacks of a slight twist on McLean's "Cheap Labor." but without the voodoo priest middleman running the show.

And I'm all for it. Let's stop keeping the zombieproletariat down and encourage this sort of boot-strapping self-actualization among our unliving brethren.

Power to the zombies, right on...

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Fine Dining

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:34 pm

<author's note: Thx to Strawman for his suggestions on improving the original drabble. I think you really helped me nail this one on the head.>

"Fine Dining"

Renowned brain researcher Luigi Schrank continued on in death as he had in life.

He thoughtfully regarded and noted the details of the folds and crevices of the delicate organs laid bare as his subjects lay comfortably sedate in their surgical halos. Their carefully removed craniums rested on the tables above their heads.

Becoming undead might have upset him more if it hadn't allowed him to assuage his guilt at not following in his father's footsteps as a restaurateur.

He switched on the neon sign of "Luigi's Fine Zombie Cuisine" and led his patrons shuffling towards the glistening grey-pink buffet.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:45 am

Illustration spotted on reddit... a bathtub full of brains (context http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/90 ... of_brains/)

... I feel quite ill now.

[edit: changed link to point to reddit comments since on reflection quite revolting :-)]

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Good stuff, ROU!
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.