Taking First Base

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?

Hit or Miss

1337 (Hit)
100%
w34ks4uc3 (Miss)
No votes

Total votes: 1

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Taking First Base

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:15 am

He stood, grimly gripping the bat.

A metallic taste filled his mouth.

He hoped and prayed this pitch would not be met by a third swishing strike.

The pitcher wound up and threw wildly, beaning him squarely on the head.

Darkness engulfed him and all fell quiet.

Blackness, silence, the ability to form a thought, everything was swallowed up by a great nothingness.

Reality returned with the sound of an electric screwdriver and the words of his father, D4D80T, as he spoke to the coach.

"I always told that boy he'd lose his head if it wasn't screwed on tightly."

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:10 pm

Ha ha ha!!! I love it!

Ok, so what does ROU stand for? (And don't say freedom, justice, etc.)
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:55 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:Ha ha ha!!! I love it!

Ok, so what does ROU stand for? (And don't say freedom, justice, etc.)
Glad you liked it. I enjoyed the end-result myself. (But what does Norm, think?)

Fans of the Culture series of novels by Iain M. Banks will immediately recognize the designation. (If you've read Excession, then you recognize the ship name.)

ROU Killing Time was the AI Mind of a battle class sentient star ship. The culture being very peaceful, he spent most of his time on patrol, killing time.

When the poop hits the fan though, he's more than ready willing and able to make it Killing Time.

Some Culture ship designations.
ROU: Rapid Offensive Unit (purpose, self-explanatory)
GSV: General Service Vehicle (services smaller ships and usually has a human population in the millions...)
GCU: General Contact Unit (Division of Culture ships designed to engage in first contact with pre-galactic civilizations.)

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:53 pm

I think that you have gotten the rules of cricket all wrong.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Phenopath wrote:I think that you have gotten the rules of cricket all wrong.
That's not cricket. :P

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:17 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:ROU Killing Time was the AI Mind of a battle class sentient star ship. The culture being very peaceful, he spent most of his time on patrol, killing time.
Interesting. Are the books humorous, or is this just a one-off?

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:47 am

I'd categorize Iain M. Banks SF as hard-core modern space opera. My own personal opinion of him as an author is that if SF is weed, IMB is Maui Wowie. If SF is sex, he's a mutual orgasm, if SF is rock and roll, IMB is <insert the name of your favorite band here...>

The Culture novels are all stand-alone, but set withing the same galactic community.

If you want to dig into him, (and if you like good SF, I recommend you do) I'd start with "The Player of Games", "Use of Weapons", and "Consider Phlebus" before going on to devour the rest of the books in the milieu. Doesn't matter what order you read them in.

(Note, he also writes kick-ass mainstream fiction under Iain Banks (no middle initial...)

Read "Complicity" for one of the most gripping and brutal pot-boilers you can imagine.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:57 am

Well, if nothing else, your description has piqued my interest. I've been too busy to read much recently. Not that I can't find a bit of time to read; I don't have the time to read a book start to finish, which I will inevitably do if I get started on a good author.

"What? The sun is coming up?"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:03 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Well, if nothing else, your description has piqued my interest. I've been too busy to read much recently. Not that I can't find a bit of time to read; I don't have the time to read a book start to finish, which I will inevitably do if I get started on a good author.

"What? The sun is coming up?"
<gleefully participating in the complete derailment of this thread>

Yes, if having your nighttime burned away turning pages isn't a good thing right now, I'd avoid him like the plague...

(btw, a Scottish author, he is wildly popular in the UK and Europe. In the USA his fans tend to be those real geeky, "know everything about SF" types who consider him something of a secret hidden treasure.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:26 am

Iain M Banks also writes non-SF under the name Iain Banks (truely a cunning disguise). The Crow Road is an excellent Iain Banks novel.

Unfortunately I have not read much Iain M Banks after being bored rigid by The Algebraist.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:31 am

I'd put "The Algebraist" pretty low on the order to read list myself. Firstly, while being Banks-SF, it's not a Culture novel. It truly is a one-off with no linkage to any of his other works, and I think it was probably one of those things he had laying around and went ahead and published because his publisher wanted another book on the shelf.

Not every author, even the greatest of the great, can hit a home run, Hugo/Nebula winner quality of work every time, and of all IMB's SF, The Algebraist certainly comes closests to evoking a meh'ish response from me. Honestly I didn't hate it, but I could see how someone approaching the author for the first time could end up wondering what the fuss is all about.

I'm not sure what all of this has to do with my attempt to work through the traumatic little league experiences of my youth in drabble form, but I've been the worst culprit of that derailment on this thread.

So Pheno, you didn't care for the Algebraist.

How did you feel about "Taking First Base?" :-)

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:17 pm

I like the feel, the traumas of childhood make for resonant stories. I was a little sad that the father robot punned his son.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:44 pm

Phenopath wrote:I like the feel, the traumas of childhood make for resonant stories. I was a little sad that the father robot punned his son.
Well, getting punned is a major occupational hazard for characters stuck in a drabble...