Absence Felt

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
unseentangerine

Absence Felt

Post by unseentangerine » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:55 am

I was going to get married to this beautiful girl. She's lovely and sad, and gone now. I loved her as much as I could for the time we were together. She was the first girl I ever loved. She made me so happy. She said she was happy. I tried my best to care for her. I wanted her. I wanted her to feel loved. I was going to kiss her mouth. I was going to pretend like I don't still need her. I was going to pretend like I know what happened. I was going to keep her.

This isn't really anything to read but when I was done it was 100 words, so, I just took many seconds of your life you'll never get back. Win! :mrgreen:
Many on the forum have asked me, so here's my answer: a spoonful of lighter fluid. And you'll need to wash it out really well when you're done.

strawman

Re: Absence Felt

Post by strawman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:06 pm

Happens a lot around here.

All that glitters is not gold. But then, 3.1415 isn't really pi, right?

[Claiming extra points for that]
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Chairman Goodchild

Post by Chairman Goodchild » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:42 pm

Your story is everything that you claimed it is.

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:58 pm

strawman wrote: All that glitters is not gold. But then, 3.1415 isn't really pi, right?
ASID, c'mon now...

Spoiler:

strawman

Post by strawman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:30 pm

strawman wrote:
strawman wrote: All that glitters is not gold. But then, 3.1415 isn't really pi, right?
ASID, c'mon now...
The old straw man entered the Escape Pod through a side entrance, wearily sliding into a booth near the bar. The waitress took her time coming over. She might have been pretty once. It didn't matter. A few drinks, and they'd all be pretty. But she had ears. That was what mattered.
"What'll it be tonight, honey?"
He thought for a clever reply to her entirely predictable question...
Forcing a hopeful smile, he said, "My forum doesn't understand me..."
She arched one pencilled eyebrow, and thought "Poor sap probably thinks it's the first time I ever heard that one."
The man of straw was too into his own suffering to correctly interpret the eyebrow, encouraged by her reaction to hope it was empathy. Hope is for fools, however. This was, after all, Escape Pod. But give him a few drinks, and he'd be certain it was empathy.
"Give me a double, swee...sweetheart." Because isn't that what you're supposed to say?
"Sure, mister. But you'll need to tell me a double what, please."
The straw man blushed.
He wore this trope like a pair of overalls at church.

"Okay, then, I'll have some mixed metaphor on the rocks. On second thought, bring me the bottle."
A pause.
"Strong stuff, hon. What you trying to forget?"
"Bring two glasses, beautiful, and I'll let you in on it."

He looked harmless enough. But more importantly, this is what The Big Monkey expected of her. She looked to the far end of the bar, where the Big Monkey sat in the shadows. She felt his greedy gaze.
Yea. Escape Pod was THAT kinda place. But only a fool would dare say it so's anyone could hear.

"Coming right up" is what she said.
The straw man heard her and was encouraged.
It had been so long since anyone had taken him seriously.
Okay, so what if it was his Visa Debit Card speaking? (He brushed the self-loathing impulse aside).

The waitress returned with two glasses of ice, poured the metaphor over them, and slid one over to him.
"I'm all ears, sugar", she breathed.
"I bet you hear that a lot",he said, noticing for the first time her ears, artfully arranged beneath a frosted bouffant. Ears so enormous that barettes had been employed front and back to contain them.
He forced himself to look away.

"So anyway, I've been over with Drabblecast for years" he began. "Fully engaged, you might say. Mister Ever Faithful. So, maybe not as fresh and exciting as at first, when it was just a little, intimate place. But still... it was my place. MY damn place..."

The man of straw brought his glass to his mouth, and slowly drained its contents. A strange warmth suffused his being, reminding him of Mister T : 'Pity the Fool!' Yes, he would pity the fool. He snorted at the thought. She refilled his glass, trying to ignore the nose hair that seemed to vibrate when he snorted.

From the shadows, the Big Monkey smiled.
She was getting paid for this. The fools didn't need to try so hard.

The straw man recovered himself and continued: "So anyways"...
Wait! That's the second time you've started out with that, and now your damn 'anyway' has gone plural! Just listen to yourself, man, no wonder your such a sorry mess, with your tritey..."
He felt her hand cover his and squeeze.

"Honey, I don't know where you're going with that, but stop," she began. "It won't get us where I want us to go. Big, strong, handsome man like you. Came in here with a story to tell. And who is here to hear it but the two biggest ears you ever saw. If that doesn't look like fate to you, then two and two and two ain't four."

She was right. I never did handle mixed metaphors well. I took a deep breath, and returned to the point.

"So any...after that, I'm in the forum, and this invisible tangerine says he's just stolen my time with a pointless drabble that just happened to be 100 words..." (Big Ears: :roll: ) "and I got inspired. But... when I put it down, perfect in its little post... not a soul understood it. It was like that Messenger spacecraft NASA launched flew by Venus and didn't so much as wave at it."

Big Ears wondered how exactly a post could be like a Spacecraft, but the Metaphor was giving her enough buzz to take her edge off, so she just gave him an understanding look and said, "Okay".

"Well, you see, the tangerine hadn't stolen my time after all, dammit! He was going to "pretend that he still didn't need her. He was going to keep her.' Those were his words. Even though all that glitters is not gold, like all that is 100 words is not always a drabble, the fact remains that neither is 3.1415 exactly pi!!!!"

"Wow" Big Ears whispered amidst the crickets. She tried her best to sound like she understood, aware that the Big Monkey was the one she had to convince. But inside, she was thinking 'This guy can't hold his metaphors worth a plugged nickle.'

Oblivious, the straw man plowed on: "Don't you see, you enormous-earred freak of fiction?
"Pi, right" is Pyrite. Pyrite is Fool's Gold! All that glitters isn't gold!!!! It might be PYRITE! See?"

These rednecks had been bragging for years that their stupid puns were the highest form of humor, laughing and slapping and high-fiving each other over the world's biggest moaners. So I give it a shot, and, by god the Muses delivered a moonshot Shakespearean sonnet of a pun..... and the damn thing sails right over Venus' gaseous green head! Frikkin CRICKETS!"

Big Ears gave a little snort of understanding. The strawman noticed the vibration of a small, unbleached nose hair when she snorted, as the question arose in to him: "Might this be The One?"

"You know, he blushed, I didn't really mean your ears were that freaky. And there's something quite cute about your nose"...

The straw man was losing control, and he sensed it. He was grasping for... for what? what did straw men grasp at? The heaviness. The merry-go-roundedness, closing in. Then, from the shadows at the far end of the bar, something moved. Big Ears had given a nod, and the Big Monkey swung off his stool. The straw man tried to introduce himself, but found that his tongue was as dry as... as dry as hay in his mouth, and the room was accelrating its revolutions.

The last thing he remembered seeing before the room faded to black was a cat, with what looked like swirling blue fur.

Spoiler:

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:26 am

Breaking it down:

Gold is not equal to Fool's Gold.
Pi is not equal to 3.1415
Pi, right? is not equal to Pyrite

The Absence is most likely Felt. But it could conceivably be denim.

Spoiler:

SpareInch

Post by SpareInch » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:00 am

strawman wrote:Breaking it down:

Gold is not equal to Fool's Gold.
Pi is not equal to 3.1415
Pi, right? is not equal to Pyrite

The Absence is most likely Felt. But it could conceivably be denim.
I think we all got it. We were just, as the saying goes, "Laughing very quietly on the inside."
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

strawman

Post by strawman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:59 am

Thank you.
I refuse to take http://soundbible.com/295-Summer-Crickets-Chirping.html
for an answer.

Spoiler: