Post Game

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Horrorshow

Post Game

Post by Horrorshow » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Jonathan recalled last night’s game: the violent collisions, the hateful baying of the Houston masses, the broken bones of team mates and opponents alike. Jonathan spoke with Smitty afterwards. The old man talked of the devastated city of Philadelphia, once a thriving metropolis before a corporation called Federal Government put millions in camps to quell civil disobedience.

Smitty had seen athletes compete for clubs that took their names from birds and animals. Jonathan saw a bird once, on the Energy Corporation estate. Perhaps it wasn‘t real, just a replica. Jonathan smiled weakly as he remembered the miraculous creature in flight.

SpareInch

Re: Post Game

Post by SpareInch » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:37 am

Wow! This isn't a drabble, this is the first hundred words of a novel! Surely! Isn't it?

And if not... WHY NOT?
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

Horrorshow

Re: Post Game

Post by Horrorshow » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:37 am

SpareInch wrote:Wow! This isn't a drabble, this is the first hundred words of a novel! Surely! Isn't it?

And if not... WHY NOT?
Thank you for the kind words, SpareInch; I'm grateful to you for taking the time to read and comment.

The drabble, as I'm sure some will have noticed, is inspired by a favourite dystopian film of mine, "Rollerball" (1975).