Passing the Time

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?

Hit or Miss

Hit
75%
Miss
25%

Total votes: 4

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Passing the Time

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:15 pm

Quantum teleportation was the discovery that would finally allow man direct contact with the mind of God.

The breakthrough came from the fact that while all matter was limited to moving at the speed of light, information was not.

Paired particles communicated with one another instantaneously across distances so vast the mind cannot contain it, interacting with each other and thinking.

If this information stream could be decoded then mankind would hear the actual thoughts of the most high.

The technician activated the interface.

From the speaker came the sound of a paddle-ball being struck over and over and over.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:38 pm

What happens when the rubber band breaks?
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:48 pm

Nice setup, I was just about to criticise the payoff, but have just decided that I like that too. So good job.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:51 pm

tbaker2500 wrote:What happens when the rubber band breaks?
The band itself is made up of a Cosmic String, and those don't break... (see Yarn)

Hopefully the paddle and the ball are made of the some similiarly sturdy stuff...

btw Mr.Baker, regarding your signature line. Cool idea to use real drums for Rock Band. I've been musing for awhile now that an input controller that plugged into a real guitar would be an awesome addition to the game genre.

It'd be great to get those video-game addicted kids (gosh that's hypocritical of me) to get the benefit of actually learning to PLAY an instrument after all that time spent on the game.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:58 pm

Phenopath wrote:Nice setup, I was just about to criticise the payoff, but have just decided that I like that too. So good job.
Please feel free to criticize. Not only can I take it, it generally ends up yielding more entertaining material.

After all, you were right about that one line in SFAC, Part 1, and I'm very happy with that line after it was fixed.

So, if you like it or no, give me a Hit or a Miss to help track it. (Feel free to POLL up all your drabbles too, imitation being a sincere form of flattery... :)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:04 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:btw Mr.Baker, regarding your signature line. Cool idea to use real drums for Rock Band. I've been musing for awhile now that an input controller that plugged into a real guitar would be an awesome addition to the game genre.
Thanks. yea, we're working on that next.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:06 am

tbaker2500 wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:btw Mr.Baker, regarding your signature line. Cool idea to use real drums for Rock Band. I've been musing for awhile now that an input controller that plugged into a real guitar would be an awesome addition to the game genre.
Thanks. yea, we're working on that next.
Awesome, if the the time my son spent mastering Rock Star had been spent on such a system, he'd be a regular Jimmy Page by now.

Glad someone is actually working to make that idea a reality...

+500 Kudos points to you.

BTW, Let me know what you thought of "Pandemic" the first drabble that actually got a laugh from my wife. (she's a tough room to play to)