The Zombies of Ander-01D

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?

Didn't see it comin, liked it
40%
Saw it comin, liked it
60%
Didn't really like it
No votes

Total votes: 5

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

The Zombies of Ander-01D

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:36 pm

The virus spread across the planet causing a total breakdown of society.

The infected masses had their vital systems compromised before the disease found its way to the brain.

In a state beyond death they hungered for the one thing that would sate their appetites.

Barbara and Danny huddled in fear.

All efforts to board up the cabin they had taken refuge in were futile.

The zombie hordes crashed through the door and reached Barbara first.

Danny watched in horror as they feasted on the silicon microprocessors of her brain, sickened by their rusting hands ripping wires from her chest.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:00 am

Miss Grimsley, the last sentence seems awkward to me, specifically around the "and they" part.

Any suggestions?

"Danny watched in horror as their rusting hands pulled the wiring from her chest and they feasted on the silicon microprocessors of her brain."

A friend of mine from high school said an alternative title might well be "Do androids have nightmares about electric zombie sheep?" which I found amusing, being a PKD fan since long before it was fashionable, but a) It gives away the punchline even more than the current title does and b) I don't wanna get sued.

strawman

Post by strawman » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:32 am

ROU Killing Time wrote: "Danny watched in horror as their rusting hands pulled the wiring from her chest and they feasted on the silicon microprocessors of her brain."
Danny watched in horror as they feasted on the silicon microprocessors of her brain, strangely aroused by the hands ripping wires from her chest.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:39 am

strawman wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote: "Danny watched in horror as their rusting hands pulled the wiring from her chest and they feasted on the silicon microprocessors of her brain."
Danny watched in horror as they feasted on the silicon microprocessors of her brain, strangely aroused by the hands ripping wires from her chest.
You are one sick puppy, Miss Grimsley. I suppose you want me to reference their latex somehow too?

Ok, apart from the voyeuristic android necrophilia, I'll take the suggested sentence structure and run with it.

(not that I think there's anything wrong with android necrophilia, it's just that it probably deserves it's own drabble to do it justice...)

So I'm going with the following. (Really wanted to keep "rusting" in there as an analog for "rotting")

"Danny watched in horror as they feasted on the silicon microprocessors of her brain and their rusting hands tore the wires from her chest."

Actually I think the following is structurally more similar to your suggestion, and therefore superior.

"Danny watched in horror as they feasted on the silicon microprocessors of her brain, sickened by their rusting hands ripping wires from her chest."

m_a_kelly

Re: The Zombies of Ander-01D

Post by m_a_kelly » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:54 am

I really liked this. I was working on a zombie drabble, too, but now mine seems kinda lame next to this one. I see I'm not the only George Romero film fan on here. :D
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, shit! She's awake!"

http://identifiedflyinglenticulars.blogspot.com/

Digitalsatyr

Post by Digitalsatyr » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Great drabble. It's an interesting scenario to consider android zombies. Makes me wonder what's happened to the humans of the future. Perhaps a story for later.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:50 pm

Digitalsatyr wrote:Great drabble. It's an interesting scenario to consider android zombies. Makes me wonder what's happened to the humans of the future. Perhaps a story for later.
I think humans are a myth. A fantasy clung to by superstitious robots who can't accept the simple truth that small nuts and bolts evolved into more complex machinery through a process of natural construction.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:00 pm

:D
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

Digitalsatyr

Post by Digitalsatyr » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:24 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:
Digitalsatyr wrote:Great drabble. It's an interesting scenario to consider android zombies. Makes me wonder what's happened to the humans of the future. Perhaps a story for later.
I think humans are a myth. A fantasy clung to by superstitious robots who can't accept the simple truth that small nuts and bolts evolved into more complex machinery through a process of natural construction.
Oooo, good one.

revsleestaxx

Post by revsleestaxx » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:32 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
:)
The Reverend's Razor
"If you don't know where it is, you don't know where it's not."

FeedBooks = http://www.feedbooks.com/userbooks/rece ... user=37332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:13 am

Who said you can't get rich writing Drabbles.

"it's this kind of spontaneous publicity that makes people! things are gonna start happening to me now!"

Got this today.
Drabbler Magazine wrote: Sozar to you! Your drabble, "The Zombies of Ander-01D", has earned an Honorable Mention in the 15th Issue: Living on an Alien World! Your payment of $1.00 Hauran, as well as a contributor’s copy, will be mailed to you toward the end of the month.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:48 am

Received my copy of Drabbler #15. Fun to see my story in print, and the first earned dollar for writing makes a good bookmark. I had thought that perhaps "honorable mention" meant I just got to appear in the magazine, but there was a 1st and 2nd place and two honorable mentions. Mine is the 4th drabble, so I guess forth place is worth some small bragging rights.

Guess I need to go buy a frame for it now.

Not as cool as being on the Drabblecast, but pretty cool nonetheless.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:54 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:I think humans are a myth. A fantasy clung to by superstitious robots who can't accept the simple truth that small nuts and bolts evolved into more complex machinery through a process of natural construction.
Hahaha. Best quote ever. Wonder if I can find a way of fitting that in my signature.

So glad you rezzed the thread as it lost steam about 29 days before I joined and I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."