The Survivor

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Phenopath

The Survivor

Post by Phenopath » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:27 pm

As the starship entered orbit around the third plant radiation readings from the upper atmosphere confirmed the worst fears of the diplomatic team. They had arrived too late.

With a heavy heart the Captain ordered the release of the automated rescue probe. He doubted whether it would locate any sentient life extant on the planet, but they must try.

Entering the ruins of a deserted metropolis the probe scanned for signs of life. Finally it spotted movement. Amongst the rubble lay a battered pink robot. Its servos feebly whirred as the probe approached.

"Cindy want wee-wee. Cindy want a huuugggg..."
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

Phenopath

Re: The Survivor

Post by Phenopath » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:31 pm

Yes, I realise that this drabble has a passing resemblance to the ending of a certain blockbuster movie (after the fact but nevertheless). I posted the drabble anyway since (IMHO) that movie would have been much better in 100 words than 6 hours.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:30 am

Phenopath wrote:Yes, I realise that this drabble has a passing resemblance to the ending of a certain blockbuster movie (after the fact but nevertheless). I posted the drabble anyway since (IMHO) that movie would have been much better in 100 words than 6 hours.
QFT.

Although it did have some scenes with some impressive imagery in it, there was a definite rambling "get the point, already" quality to the final product.

The carnival of robotic carnage was my favorite part of that movie, and I thought Jude Law gave a decent performance. Smart move of him to check out half way through (near the point they should have wrapped things up instead of continuing on for another hour.)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:47 am

"A.I."?

I think it would have been a great movie if it had just ended with the robokid jumping off the building, splat, dead, end of story. It would have been tragic and depressing, but it would have been deep and truthful. Having a fairy godmother show up out of nowhere and grant robokid's wishes was a total copout that made everything that came before seem cheap and meaningless. I guess Spielberg just couldn't stand to have a sad ending, even if that's what the story demanded.
Advertise in this space!

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:26 pm

At the time I could not decide which film was more dull, 'AI' or 'Eyes Wide Shut'. On reflection I think the latter.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:41 pm

Eyes Wide Shut?

I've seen "2001*", "Full Metal Jacket" and "The Shining." I thought they all sucked and can't imagine why any of them is considered a classic, or even more than mediocre. I resolved after "Jacket" that I would never watch a Kubrick film again, which I haven't.

*2001 would be good if it were cut down to 42 minutes. At 150+ minutes, it sucks.
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:40 am

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Eyes Wide Shut?

*2001 would be good if it were cut down to 42 minutes. At 150+ minutes, it sucks.
Even 150 minutes would have been fine, if something actually had been happening. Maybe in that last sequence there was supposed to be a bunch of interesting stuff but a chemical spil ruined the negatives?
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.