Drabbles for Dummies

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
eric_marsh

Drabbles for Dummies

Post by eric_marsh » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:28 am

Eric Marsh had discovered a neat new podcast. It was called the Drabblecast. A drabble, he soon found out, is a story exactly one hundred words long. Eric thought that it would be kind of fun to write a drabble, but he couldn't think of anything that he wanted to write about. Well, he really couldn't think of something that would be cool enough that other people would want to read about it. But just for fun Eric created a new OpenOffice document and started typing. Approaching a word count of one hundred he wrote “Well that was easy.”
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

Phenopath

Re: Drabbles for Dummies

Post by Phenopath » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:54 am

Dude! That drabble is only 99 words.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:33 am

Phenopath wrote:Dude! That drabble is only 99 words.
Hey, he said he was approaching 100 words... Didn't say he reached it.

Give him some time, I'm sure he's just searching for that last perfect word... ;-)

(wait a minute, I just ran that drabble through Open Office and it said 100 words... You counting by hand, or worse, using Microsoft Word to check up on him?
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:09 pm

MS Word and Vi... stupid open source software.

I shouldn't throw stones, I hope nobody checks up on my twitfic entries - I still don't understand how to character count those.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:09 pm

Eric Marsh posted his first drabble ever in the Drabblecast drabbles forum. The next morning he saw that Phenopath said “Dude! That drabble is only 99 words.”

“But,” Eric wrote, “According to OpenOffice it was 100 words. I actually had to change 'OpenOffice Writer document' to 'OpenOffice document' to reduce the word count by one.”

OpenOffice's mistake induced a traumatic fear in Eric. “Could this mean that Microsoft actually produces better products than open source?” The world swirled around him. Then he thought, “in the future I'll just use wc -w to double check my drabbles.”

All was well again.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:51 pm

Phenopath wrote:MS Word and Vi... stupid open source software.

I shouldn't throw stones, I hope nobody checks up on my twitfic entries - I still don't understand how to character count those.
Actualy, MS Word has a character counter (under Tools) that shows characters with spaces and without spaces. One of the reasons I'm such a light twit-fic'er. I only have occasional access to MS Word.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Word! Yuck!

With the recent sale of my X Box 360, I now use exactly 0 Microsoft products. Mircosoft-free: The way life should be!
Advertise in this space!

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:16 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Word! Yuck!

With the recent sale of my X Box 360, I now use exactly 0 Microsoft products. Mircosoft-free: The way life should be!
Shoulda known a graphics-geek like you would be an Apple-head. Just remember, it's the apple that got Adam and Eve in all that trouble, way back when...

Hmm, I'm sure we can live peacefully on our respective sides of the liberal/conservative fence and, as you pointed out, there's too much mutual respect among DC dorumites to get a really good theological argument going.

This Apple vs PC debate though... Could turn into an ugly flame-war. Asscuse me while I got get my fire-proof underwear on.

I'm not a Gates fan-boy, nor am I in the "more evil than Satan himself" camp. I do know for a fact, however, that without Microsoft Basic Version 1.0, my Altair 8800a would have been a useless box with pretty flashing red lights that did nothing useful at all.

Can you link me a site that has an OpenOffice add-on for a good character counter (that provides counts with and without spaces included?)

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:15 pm

We once needed Microsoft, but humanity has evolved. Time to stop brachiating and go bipedal.
Advertise in this space!