Those Who Had Been Cruel

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
Mr. Tweedy

Those Who Had Been Cruel

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:48 am

Any object placed on the dais with the proper ceremony would be duplicated exactly. I don’t know what others would have done, but when I discovered this, only one thought came to mind. I would murder. Brazenly. In the daylight, before cameras and witnesses. I would take revenge on those who had been cruel. Everyone would know it was I who had done it, and yet I would go unpunished.

The plan worked flawlessly, but there was one aspect I had not considered. I sit now in my prison cell and imagine my double, walking free.

He has been cruel.
Advertise in this space!

revsleestaxx

Re: Those Who Had Been Cruel

Post by revsleestaxx » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:26 pm

Are you sure it is you in the cell and not your double?
huh? huh?
yeah that should get the juices flowing a bit.
The Reverend's Razor
"If you don't know where it is, you don't know where it's not."

FeedBooks = http://www.feedbooks.com/userbooks/rece ... user=37332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:33 pm

This drabble brings to mind "The Prestige"
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:54 pm

Yes... The Prestige is one of the many, many stories that stole my ideas.

The cruel thing is that the idea-stealing stories are generally published before I thought of the idea, but I don't learn about their existence until after. Last year a story was published that contains the great idea I will think of today. I will read that story a year from now and say "ARRRRGH!"
Advertise in this space!

strawman

Post by strawman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Tweedy, you don't realize you are being screwed by the time-travelling doppleganger you will not create until 2011. It won't even dawn on you until the year after that that you have initiated a process that could ultimately drive you insane. In an effort to defend yourself, you will devote all your resources to the development of a virus that will infect your double. In a desperate race against time, you will have the virus prepared at the same moment that you are no longer able to distinguish between your double and yourself, and seeing yourself in the mirror you will shout, "Take that, you scoundrel!" and infect yourself. Then you will be overwhelmed with a feeling of utmost satisfaction and good will, as you sit down at your desk, log in to the Drabblecast forum, and coincidentally pull up this post. Mrs. Tweedy will come running to find the cause of the eerie wailing sound.

I'm so sorry, my friend.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:38 pm

strawman wrote:Tweedy, you don't realize you are being screwed by the time-travelling doppleganger you will not create until 2011. It won't even dawn on you until the year after that that you have initiated a process that could ultimately drive you insane. In an effort to defend yourself, you will devote all your resources to the development of a virus that will infect your double. In a desperate race against time, you will have the virus prepared at the same moment that you are no longer able to distinguish between your double and yourself, and seeing yourself in the mirror you will shout, "Take that, you scoundrel!" and infect yourself. Then you will be overwhelmed with a feeling of utmost satisfaction and good will, as you sit down at your desk, log in to the Drabblecast forum, and coincidentally pull up this post. Mrs. Tweedy will come running to find the cause of the eerie wailing sound.

I'm so sorry, my friend.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:41 pm

strawman wrote:Tweedy, you don't realize you are being screwed by the time-travelling doppleganger you will not create until 2011. It won't even dawn on you until the year after that that you have initiated a process that could ultimately drive you insane. In an effort to defend yourself, you will devote all your resources to the development of a virus that will infect your double. In a desperate race against time, you will have the virus prepared at the same moment that you are no longer able to distinguish between your double and yourself, and seeing yourself in the mirror you will shout, "Take that, you scoundrel!" and infect yourself. Then you will be overwhelmed with a feeling of utmost satisfaction and good will, as you sit down at your desk, log in to the Drabblecast forum, and coincidentally pull up this post. Mrs. Tweedy will come running to find the cause of the eerie wailing sound.

I'm so sorry, my friend.
Grrr it dropped my comment, have to re-write it. Hopefully it will be better on the 2nd draft though.

Anyway, Strawman is right, apparently last time someone told you to go "F" yourself, you took that to heart. Exact same thing happened to me. The one that really rankles is the idea I had in 1992 (as I lay quite psychotic in my bed on the 3rd floor) about the cybernetic reality that was being imposed on us and the shadowy organization that was planting seeds of the memetic cyber-christ virus in me, apparently in an attempt to summon "The One" that could rise up and battle the AI overlords that were enslaving mankind. You think they could have come up with someone better than Keanu Reeves to portray me though.

And have I seen a single dime in residuals from the debacle? Of course not.

Bersterds...

revsleestaxx

Post by revsleestaxx » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:46 pm

no wait to you realize that you are really your double and all the idea stealing is really the real you slightly in the future just to be cruel to you know because that is the nature of you in all reality.
The Reverend's Razor
"If you don't know where it is, you don't know where it's not."

FeedBooks = http://www.feedbooks.com/userbooks/rece ... user=37332" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;