Toshie's War (ROU's 1000th post)

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: Toshie's War (ROU's 1000th post)

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:57 am

dreamrock wrote:I'm glad my issue with mirrors (self-loathing) is resolved and wasn't as serious as that. I don't have nearly so good a support system.

And I'm also glad to have you back at writing. :)
Trouble with mirrors. With that awesome beard? Tweedy's gonna scold you over that... :-)

It's good to be back. (It'll be better when I'm back on meds, and my writing will probably improve too.)
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:05 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:Trouble with mirrors. With that awesome beard? Tweedy's gonna scold you over that... :-)
Haha, actually I got over the issues with mirrors at some point after I was capable of producing a decent beard, but before I had actually done so. I think the beard may have had something to do with the improved self-esteem. Now if only it could cure depression. :o
ROU Killing Time wrote:It's good to be back. (It'll be better when I'm back on meds, and my writing will probably improve too.)
Try not to stress about it. I know it's a bit like not thinking about pink elephants, but ... T_T

And I think I've used my quota of emoticons for the day.
Dribblecast: A Community-Driven Podcast | Troll Jammies

"There's no such thing as enough Tequila."

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:43 am

dreamrock wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote:Trouble with mirrors. With that awesome beard? Tweedy's gonna scold you over that... :-)
Haha, actually I got over the issues with mirrors at some point after I was capable of producing a decent beard, but before I had actually done so. I think the beard may have had something to do with the improved self-esteem. Now if only it could cure depression. :o
ROU Killing Time wrote:It's good to be back. (It'll be better when I'm back on meds, and my writing will probably improve too.)
Try not to stress about it. I know it's a bit like not thinking about pink elephants, but ... T_T

And I think I've used my quota of emoticons for the day.
yes, depression is a pain in the butt. One of my brother's who has unipolar depression tells me "at least you get the highs to balance out the lows." I suppose there is some truth to that. It does tend to run in families though. Among my 5 siblings and me, there are 3 bipolar disorders and 3 unipoloar depressives. My erstwhile psychiatrist said this was indicative of some pretty heavy genetic loading. They do say, (and I've found it to be mostly true) that physical activity is a good way to combat depression. Of course, it's hard to get up and exercise when you're depressed, so that's a bit of a catch-22 situation. Planning ahead for the lows seems to help. That and not letting guilt, depressions best friend, get the best of you. It's no ones fault if they suffer from a neurobiological disorder, anymore than it is the fault of someone with epilepsy's fault that they suffer from seizures. Hard to hold that thought when in the midst of it though. Again, prior planning during better days helps.

There's my 2 cents on some of my own personal coping strategies. Also, you probably have a better support system than you are aware of. ROU supports creep out of the strangest places I'd never suspect. Certainly tere are many here on the forums that have your back just as much as they have mine. Consider me one such individual, for what it's worth. :-)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:39 pm

Nice story! I really liked it.
Interestingly, I didn't feel that the story dictated that this was a split personality. It could have been something as mundane as a magical mirror.

Re: Kites- I fly two-line stunt kites (I could never trick like this guy, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjL-36tMhwc ,but that's the general concept.) Something that is a lot of fun is to place LED's on the spars of the kite, and fly at night. Very, very pretty.
You're my quasi-ichthian angel, you're my half-amphibian queen...

The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Post by strawman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:27 am

Whoa! That link'll suck you into a black hole that'll take you hours to get out of. I like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhRxyGlU ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:00 am

ROU Killing Time wrote:They do say, (and I've found it to be mostly true) that physical activity is a good way to combat depression.
Exercise tends to be fairly ineffective for me, though it can put me in a sort of zen no-mind that's a bit useful. It probably wouldn't be a bad thing to get back to it in any case.
ROU Killing Time wrote:That and not letting guilt, depressions best friend, get the best of you. It's no ones fault if they suffer from a neurobiological disorder, anymore than it is the fault of someone with epilepsy's fault that they suffer from seizures. Hard to hold that thought when in the midst of it though.
You're preaching to me there. :lol:
ROU Killing Time wrote:Also, you probably have a better support system than you are aware of. ROU supports creep out of the strangest places I'd never suspect. Certainly tere are many here on the forums that have your back just as much as they have mine. Consider me one such individual, for what it's worth. :-)
Thanks, man. :) I appreciate it.

I don't want to dis my real life support system too much, but let's just say my long term depression was interpreted as letting my life pass me by on a deluded hope that my music would be "discovered" at any moment and therefore the appropriate idea was to tell me to give up on my music. I hadn't had a sincere interest in being a rock star for several years prior to that and being told I should give up playing threw me for quite a loop. Not a good one either.

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:54 am

Ouch, music industry, man. That's broken a lot of hearts. Hell, look what it did to Norm! If that's not scary, I don't know what is!

dreamrock

Post by dreamrock » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:39 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Ouch, music industry, man. That's broken a lot of hearts. Hell, look what it did to Norm! If that's not scary, I don't know what is!
The music industry should count itself lucky Norm hasn't done much to it yet. Norm kicks [adult word for posterior ... I never know what swears are kosher]. I downloaded his album from Amazon MP3 a few days ago and have been listening to it on repeat ever since.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:51 am

dreamrock wrote:
tbaker2500 wrote:Ouch, music industry, man. That's broken a lot of hearts. Hell, look what it did to Norm! If that's not scary, I don't know what is!
The music industry should count itself lucky Norm hasn't done much to it yet. Norm kicks [adult word for posterior ... I never know what swears are kosher]. I downloaded his album from Amazon MP3 a few days ago and have been listening to it on repeat ever since.
I believe that "Norm Kicks Ass" is perfectly acceptable language on these here forums..., since, well, Norm kicks ass, ya know?

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:03 am

tbaker2500 wrote:Nice story! I really liked it.
Thank you, Tom. <TEASER>I imagine that the theme is not unfamiliar to you at this point, actually, I think that you may well be seeing Toshie appear elsewhere in some of my writing that you are privately acquanted with. :-) </TEASER>

quote="tbaker2500"]
Interestingly, I didn't feel that the story dictated that this was a split personality. It could have been something as mundane as a magical mirror.
[/quote]
I have strongly accepted the philosophy that I've heard through the years and still to this day, from real authors, that the story belongs to the reader. One thing I'm trying for here, is to describe an idea well that ends up being a good depiction to a story I have in my mind, while leave the mystery of whatever magical/psychological/other pyhenomenen in occurring up to the reader (and myself as the reader, when I look it over again from the readers perspectivel.

I think that a useful purpose of vagueness (not at the expense of vividness) is to allow for interpretations such as yours.

(btw, that's really using Occam's Razor, there, Tom. Loved your take on the story.

:-)

tbaker2500
Site Admin

Post by tbaker2500 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:48 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:I think that a useful purpose of vagueness (not at the expense of vividness) is to allow for interpretations such as yours.
Often vividocity is used as a cover for lack of a good story, but I've not found that to be the case with your works.
btw, that's really using Occam's Razor, there, Tom.
That reminds me of the first Trifecta. Occam, Occam, Occam. SHOOOP. Stain gone.

One of the best stories here, IMHO.