The Drabble Master

100 word stories. Post all you like, maybe we'll dip in and use yours?
eric_marsh

The Drabble Master

Post by eric_marsh » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:29 pm

Theodore had a passion for writing drabbles. Ideas would come to him and swirl around his brain until he typed them out in perfect drabble form. Once the drabble was posted this strange obsession would pass until he was seized by another idea.

At first Ted would review his drabbles, but he found this profoundly disturing. There were so many drabbles written under his name that he had no recollection of. In time he learned to avoid his own postings.

After posting his final drabble, Theodore stared at the glowing screen and tried to recall who and what he is.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole
Eric's Drabbles: http://eric-marsh.blogspot.com/"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Re: The Drabble Master

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Not that I consider myself a drabble master or anything, but I sure can relate to how Theodore feels. I do hope to generate a masterpiece of the form someday, but I think it is still yet unwritten.

Among all of the good drabble's you've done, this is up there as one of my favorites.

Drawing from personal experience, as you seem to have done here and others have done in their own strong drabbles, does lend a feel of authenticity to the final result.
"Never fuck with The Culture"
Sublime In Peace Iain M. Banks.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:03 pm

Well, I wouldn't say that writing drabbles is an obsession for me. I write them because I think it's fun to create something imaginative and quite honestly one hundred words is about as far as my writing can take me. I guess that I'm up to organizing a couple of thoughts or concepts at a time but a real short story requires so many different thoughts and concepts tied together into an integrated whole that they are beyond my abilities. Writing drabbles are easy - writing real fiction takes work. A lot of work. Enough so that it stops being fun. But still, I guess it's something to aspire to.

Janet, my wife has penned a couple of books and has put many hours into writing and revisions not to mention working with writers groups and so forth. At this point none of her major works have found a market. That doesn't look like fun to me, but perhaps her muses are stronger than mine.

On the other hand, I have to agree with you that if one doesn't have experiences to draw upon then it's much more difficult to write convincingly.

The story that I related to most strongly is the one where I did use my name, that being The Ride. Not surprisingly, True Story is a true story as is, of course, A Zombie Thanksgiving. More on my motorcycle interests at http://ericmarsh.info/DragBikeSite/Photos.html. Speaking of motorcyles, I've been thinking for a while that I need to get my logic controlled clutch system working. So what am I doing here when I should be out in the shop?
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:18 pm

eric_marsh wrote:The story that I related to most strongly is the one where I did use my name, that being The Ride. Not surprisingly, True Story is a true story as is, of course, A Zombie Thanksgiving. More on my motorcycle interests at http://ericmarsh.info/DragBikeSite/Photos.html. Speaking of motorcyles, I've been thinking for a while that I need to get my logic controlled clutch system working. So what am I doing here when I should be out in the shop?
LOL.

I'm a new rider, myself. Logged 4000 or so miles on my Yamaha Majesty. Someday I hope to get a real motorcycle though. I like the look of the Aprilia Mana 800. Carpal tunnel issues make clutching not a real option.

Nothing like riding in the wind.

Mr. Tweedy

Post by Mr. Tweedy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Mr. Tweedy feels motorcycle envy.
Advertise in this space!

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:32 pm

Its funny because it is true.
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:34 pm

Mr. Tweedy wrote:Mr. Tweedy feels motorcycle envy.
Now we know what to get Mr.Tweedy for Christmas. A motorcycle, and a membership in the "Beard Club for Men."

"It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas..."

Phenopath

Post by Phenopath » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:38 pm

ROU Killing Time wrote:
Now we know what to get Mr.Tweedy for Christmas. A motorcycle, and a membership in the "Beard Club for Men."

"It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas..."
Apropos to nothing... http://www.thingsmybeardcanlift.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Phenopath's Story Archive
The Dribblecast, we don't care if you sound like an idiot.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:12 pm

Maybe not a hawg, but 60 mpg and automatic, perfect for zombie escapes.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:14 pm

strawman wrote:

Maybe not a hawg, but 60 mpg and automatic, perfect for zombie escapes.
Burgman, very nice. Suzuki's version of my Majesty. Is that a 400 or 650?

And agreement, perfect for any zombie situations. Hard to 1-hand your sawed off shotgun if you have to clutch.

strawman

Post by strawman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:17 pm

The only difference between the 400 and the 650 is the 400 gets the 60 mpg.
Never judge anyone until you have biopsied their brain.

"Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle."
Known Some Call Is Air Am
Spoiler:
Non sum qualis eram = "I am not who I will be"

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:20 pm

strawman wrote:The only difference between the 400 and the 650 is the 400 gets the 60 mpg.
Best I get is 50 or so, but I do lots of hills and I weigh around 200 lbs.

Can we derail a thread, or what? Eric started it, though by mentioning motorcycles... so I guess we are in the clear.

eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:48 am

ROU Killing Time wrote: Eric started it, though by mentioning motorcycles... so I guess we are in the clear.
I can always talk about motorcycles, but I'm not the wind in the hair type. I guess I'm more of the high speed wind blast battering my helmet type.

http://homepage.mac.com/emarsh/iMovieTheater10.html

ROU Killing Time
Notorious Forum Hog

Post by ROU Killing Time » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:01 am

eric_marsh wrote:
ROU Killing Time wrote: Eric started it, though by mentioning motorcycles... so I guess we are in the clear.
I can always talk about motorcycles, but I'm not the wind in the hair type. I guess I'm more of the high speed wind blast battering my helmet type.

http://homepage.mac.com/emarsh/iMovieTheater10.html
Oh, I'm all about protecting the old gray matter. Won't start a discussion on the merits of helmet laws, but I think it's worth noting that Gary Busey went from a strong anti-helmet law crusader to a proponent, (after he gave himself a pre-frontal lobotomy when he crashed...)

OK, I guess I'll toss in an anecdote.
Got a friend who's anti-helmet law, not that he'd ever ride without one, it's just he believes in not thwarting Darwin's theory of natural selection. (That argument seems kind of mean to me...)

Also, scooping up brains is kind of a nasty job to dump on emergency responders, and society usually ends up paying for brain-damaged vegetables...

Then again, this is America, land of the free, and home of the stupid (in the case of non-helmet wearers...)

If I were a neurologist, I'd set up my practice in Hawaii. (no helmet laws) I think I saw one rider wearing a helmet. I also saw large numbers of road-side crosses...